Good Samaritan

Can anyone explain Good Samaritan Story.

Is there any explanation to the story itself.

Or is it only dealing with to become Good Neighbour or Good Samaritan

5 Likes

Hi @Cyril, thank you for this question. A good Samaritan is a person who unselfishly helps others out of compassion. Understanding that every person has value, no matter who they are, where they come from, whether they are “different” in any way or what their beliefs are. We should never “walk by” a person in need.
It’s not just about helping them monetarily but also taking the time to talk to the person, showing them grace and mercy. In the case of the Good Samaritan, he went the extra mile and invested in the persons care. Everyone is a neighbor, whether they are next door, across the street or across the Globe :slightly_smiling_face:
I found a really good article that will explain this story in a profound way. Also, I was very touched by a post here on connect (see link below). I believe it will bless you as well. I hope you will find the links helpful :pray:

2 Likes

Interpretation on I ve come through from few Pastors.

Jerusalem to Jericho: Spiritual Journey from God’s City or Presence to Curse City or Worldly pleasure.
Raiment: Spiritual Dress.
Wound: Wounds happened to our inner being.
Robbers: Satan, False Prophet
Samaritan: Jesus or Spiritual Person
Oil and Wine: Oil, stands for initial stage of Christian life and Wine for Advance stage of Christian life.
Inn: Church
2 Dinerai: Old Testament and New Testament
Samaritan’s telling inn keeper that I ll come back and reward you: Jesus Second coming.

What do you say?

1 Like

Thanks @sig for sharing the articles

You might find this post helpful in a general sense:

1 Like

Thanks @Joshua_Hansen, for sharing the different types of interpretation principles. It’s really helpful.

1 Like

I say wow! I will have to take a deeper look at the story in it’s allegorical form. Thank you for sharing the break down of it’s symbolic nature!

A little late but this view is little more first century.

There is quite a bit to unpack in this parable. Lately I like Kenneth Bailey’s book entitled Jesus through Middle Eastern Eyes: Cultural Studies in the Gospels and what it has to say about the parables. You can see from the tile that his approach to the understanding of the parables is that of a 1st century middle eastern cultural POV. When this POV is applied it changes how you read and understand the parables.

I have listed 7 points from Bailey’s summary of the good Samaritan. I think you will find them useful.

1. Eternal life—a gracious gift. The lawyer is given a standard he cannot meet. In the process he has the opportunity to discover that he cannot earn eternal life, for it comes to him as a free gift.
  2. Becoming a neighbor. The lawyer’s question, “Who is my neighbor?” is the wrong query. He is challenged to ask, “To whom must I become a neighbor?” The parable replies, “Your neighbor is anyone in need, regardless of language, religion or ethnicity.” Here compassion for the outsider has its finest expression in all Scripture. The ethical demands of this vision are limitless.
  3. The limits of the law. Compassion reaches beyond the requirements of any law. The priest and the Levite cannot discover their duty solely by examining their code books.
  4. Racism. The religious and racial attitudes of the community are under attack. The story could have been located in Samaria with a good Jew rescuing a wounded Samaritan. Instead, it is a hated Samaritan who (presumably) rescues a wounded Jew.
  5. Jesus the teacher. Jesus’ skills as a teacher emerge. He does not answer the man’s questions but raises other questions, allowing the lawyer to answer his own queries. In the process the lawyer is challenged to expand his understanding of what faithfulness requires of him.
  6. Christology. After the failure of the listeners’ religious leaders, the saving agent breaks in from outside to save, disregarding the cost of that salvation. Jesus is talking about himself.
  7. The cross. The good Samaritan offers a costly demonstration of unexpected love. He risks his life by transporting a wounded Jew into a Jewish town and spending the night there. The wounded man will never be the same again. Jesus is demonstrating a part of the meaning of his own passion.

Bailey, K. E. (2008). Jesus through Middle Eastern Eyes: Cultural Studies in the Gospels (p. 297). Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic.

1 Like

Thank you all for the deeper insight to this parable. I appreciate all the different perspectives I have come to see on connect.
For me I simply love the way Jesus interacts with each individual and how He knows the unique thoughts and intents of everyone and says exactly what will help them to grasp the truth and understanding of His Kingdom.
Enjoying connect
Mike

1 Like

@Jimmy_Sellers Thanks for sharing this view.

1 Like