Gregory Ogbemudia

(Gregory Ogbemudia) #1

Hello,

Where are you from?
I am from Nigeria.

What led you to join Connect?
I want to grow more in the knowledge of God and my relationship with Christ.

How do you hope to contribute?
My passion is to see the Word of God and teach others to believe and live God’s Word. Thus, I have a small ministry group called "Youth M.A.D. (Making a Difference) for Christ.

My Questions is:
The teaching of “Once Saved, Saved forever” saying a Christian cannot be unborn even if he falls to sin, is it a true biblical teaching?

4 Likes
(Carson Weitnauer) #2

Hi @OSQUAREG,

Welcome! I’m glad you’ve joined! I’d encourage you to repost your question in the #bible-questions Category so more people can see it and discuss it with you. It is a pleasure to meet you and I’d love to hear more about what the Youth M.A.D. group is all about!

4 Likes
(Daniel) #3

Hello and welcome Gregory. I am glad that you want to expand your knowledge about God and that your relationship with Jesus is important to you. There are many possibilities here. In the different categories many questions have already been asked, including one that sounds similar to yours Can you lose your salvation?. Maybe this will help you already. Recently @Elijah63 and @cosmas441 introduced themselves. They also come from Nigeria. God bless you for your work in the youth group.

3 Likes
(SeanO) #4

@OSQUAREG Greetings! So glad you’ve joined us here on Connect :slight_smile: @iDan already provided a link that may provide you with some direction on this question regarding loss of salvation. I wanted to directly link to another thread you might find useful.

My short answer on this question would be - it is Biblical to believe either for or against ‘once saved always saved’ as long as you agree with Christ that any person truly connected to Him will bear fruit - we cannot live fruitless, sinful lives and claim to be saved. Anyone who claims to be following Jesus and is living in open rebellion to God is telling a lie. It doesn’t mean we are perfect, but we should be seeking daily to grow more like Christ and confessing our sins when we fall. A few verses from Scripture:

I John 1:5-7 - This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

Romans 6:1-4 - What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

• those who hold to Biblical teaching and believe ‘once saved always saved’ usually say that once you are saved you will not completely reject Christ because it is a work of the Spirit that we cannot resist - so you would not fall into gross sin - at least not permanently
  • those who reject ‘once saved always saved’ might point to the fact that our relationship with God is built on a conditional covenant and God holds us responsible for our choices

I also think that this belief is more of a ‘conviction’ than an absolute. The below article offers a fuller explanation of levels of doctrine and gives a helpful summary list of 4 levels of doctrine.

1. absolutes define the core beliefs of the Christian faith;
  2. convictions , while not core beliefs, may have significant impact on the health and effectiveness of the church;
  3. opinions are less-clear issues that generally are not worth dividing over; and
  4. questions are currently unsettled issues.

As @CarsonWeitnauer, definitely feel free to ask this question in the Bible Questions section.

Christ be with you

1 Like
(Curran Harms) #5

Welcome to RZIM Conncet. You will enjoy it here. God bless

1 Like
(Scott Dockins) #6

@OSQUAREG,

Welcome to Connect brother. I pray God blesses and enriches your endeavors within your youth ministry, gives you a double portion of the fruit of the Spirit, and gifts you with all the knowledge and wisdom you need to reach the youth culture in which you minister.

God bless, brother.
Scott