Guardian Angels

(Tim Ramey) #1

My wife and I had a discussion with a friend of ours who is a believer. She is not Catholic but has been taught that we each have a guardian angel. It is scriptural that there are angels who are God’s messengers sent at His bidding. There are also the fallen angels. So angels are real but what we discussed was whether God assigned an angel to each person.

My take is that God will send angels to minister to us but one does not stay with us throughout our life on earth. In other words, they can guard us if the Lord so chooses but we don’t have an angel assigned to just me. That’'s my answer to her but what do you say about angels? After all, they are mentioned over 100 times in the Old Testament and about 175 times in the New Testament. Are there guardian angels, in the sense that I described as one per person for life?

(Jimmy Sellers) #2

Tim this is not a definitive answer but I am currently reading several books by Michael Heiser. I finished The Unseen Realm and Reversing Mt Hermon. I started his book on Angels and was side tracked to the title Supernatural. I think you would very much like any other for the titles. He is a proponent of bring g the supernatural back into the conversation of the church something that I feel has been down played over the years
Now to your question, no I don’t think God assigns each believer a personal guardian. I do believe that God has, is and will use his angels to come to the aid of his beloved as he sees fit. There is a lot more that can said about angels but I will leave that to the community.

(Tim Ramey) #3

@Jimmy_Sellers
Jimmy, thanks for the book suggestions. I so appreciate recommendations and so I’ve been reading my head off!

It sounds like you and I would agree about guardian angels. I’d love to hear from others because even commentators seemed to not see it the same way. I tired to ascertain how the guardian angel concept, from the scriptures, came into being but maybe some of you think that way and I’d appreciate hearing what scripture is used. Thanks…

(Jimmy Sellers) #4

Tim:
Here are two videos on the general subject of the unseen realm. The second video covers the pecking order.

(C Rhodes) #5

@Tim_Ramey. I believe Matthew 18 gives concrete evidence of what we call guardian angels.
" But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh! Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire. Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven. "(Kjv)

Perhaps our confusion comes from attributing human limits to heavenly administrations. We do that concerning GOD I guess it is not strange that we assign limits to what is meant by guardian angels. To our dismay, when we view the administrations of GOD from a human perspective then we see no problem with concluding it is not possible for some things to happen if we all have guardians. To me, that is an issue of trust. One we all share. One that Job had to come to grips with before concluding, “Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.” Job 1:21(Kjv).

Often when we consider guardianship, we are talking about keeping away harm. But I believe GOD goes much farther. The very presence of GOD in our reality means He is always guarding, He is always in control. My very human reaction to pain in my flesh, in my heart or in my mind does not indicate the guardianship is not in effect. It does warrant a closer look and a deeper listen. When I insist on the trustworthiness of GOD, when circumstances are not allowed to dictate my response, I have always seen the guardianship. The Lord tells us He will use everything for the benefit of them who love Him and keep His commandments! He tells us that, but this human stuff is a dragon-slaying event every time.

The guardianship of our world can be rightly assumed. Despite what we do to one another, GOD is entangled with every aspect of every individual life. His arm never too short, and never missing in action. I think the unpleasant situation of our lives echoes the heart of GOD as well.

" My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth. He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep." Psalms 121:2-4 (Kjv).

(Tim Ramey) #6

@cer7 I am not intent on trying to prove that we don’t have guardian angels and so appreciate your viewpoint. I do not, however, agree with your interpretation of Matthew 18 but have the view of the two quotes below; the first being Matthew Henry and the next being Calvins:

"The reason the “little ones” should not be despised is because in heaven their angels are always in the presence of my heavenly Father. Some have seen in these verses the concept of guardian angels. These words neither prove nor condemn the concept. Being in God’s presence means having access to God, so these angels are ministering angels (see Heb_1:14). The Old Testament does not speak about guardian angels assigned to God’s people, but it does speak of angelic intercession and help (as in Psa_91:11). Also, in Dan_10:10-14, angels watch over nations. The meaning here is that God’s people are constantly represented before the Father; therefore, each one of us has special importance (see Heb_1:14).

And Calvin’s quote: "Protestant reformer John Calvin also believed that the words of Christ in that passage “do not mean that a single angel is continually occupied with this or the other person; and such an idea is inconsistent with the whole doctrine of Scripture, which declares that the angels encamp around (Psalm 34:7) the godly, and that not one angel only, but many, have been commissioned to guard every one of the faithful.” "

I really am not strong on my viewpoint but have never felt that we have an angel that tags along with us all of our lives. For those who feel one way or another, could you voice your opinion and where you get your Biblical interpretation?

Please C Rhodes, I am not dismissing your view but want to hear what others think as well. Your interpretation may very well be correct but would be interested in what other believers think.

(Tim Ramey) #7

The subject of guardian angles began for me because we have a wonderful Christian friend who thinks that we have a guardian angel assigned to us. I was surprised and looked into it Biblically and what commentators thought. It appears that there are believers on both sides to the issue. I was not aware that believers thought that way, just as many believers are shocked that people like me don’t think that way. It made me wonder how many think that we have a guardian angel assigned to us for our lifetime. I had never even considered that. Do most believers feel that we do? It’s like a new spiritual thought has opened up to me that I felt that no one thought that way. I’d love to hear from you because I am probably in the minority among believers.