Guidelines to take note of while reading Synoptic Gospels

Hello everyone,
Am not a trained theologian and have lot more to catch up with basic biblical knowledge therefore, I need your help to navigate through all biblical realms as to gain sound knowledge and understanding of God’s word each day with your valuable inputs and guidance.
My question here particularly pertains to synoptic Gospels; Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

1. Are Gospels of Matthew, Luke and John a copy of Mark Gospel (as there are many similar accounts of events found in all the three and I read that the Gospel of Mark is the oldest of all the three other Gospels) or are all Gospels written by different authors independent of Geographies, times and cultures?
  2. What are the fundamental inferences on which the Gospels had been written? Was it eye-wittesses accounts, archeological or divine revelations?
  3. Lastly, what are important guidelines to consider before reading the Gospels?

Thank you.

3 Likes

@Tsilise The synoptic Gospels are Matthew, Mark and Luke. John is not considered one of the synoptic Gospels and contains a great deal of material that differs from the synoptics. The Gospels are divinely inspired eyewitness testimony of the life of Jesus of Nazareth that have archaeological support. You might consider watching a Bible project video prior to reading each book to get an overview. More resources below :slight_smile:

https://zondervanacademic.com/blog/synoptic-gospels

How to Read the Bible

Thread on reading the Scriptures and helpful resources.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, I stand corrected with regards to synoptic which doesn’t include The Gospel of John

1 Like

@Tsilise Sure thing. Glad you are learning more about the Scriptures :slight_smile:

1 Like