+Halloween whats the christian perspective

Halloween. For kids it’s a time of dress up and a little make-believe. A time for some trick or treat. For adults it also can be a time of dress up and make-believe. Yet often much darker and sexual in nature. Our small community each year builds a haunted house. Its considered one of the scariest and bloodiest for many miles. People have been known to drive for hours to go though it and be scared out of their wits. (made the provincial news this year) When the people who build it begin to get shivers and get spooked you know that darkness is not far away. I find it utterly amazing that people accept and elevate all this evil to such a high place and yet refuse to even discuss the flip side of evil. That being a good God.
So how do we as followers of Christ handle this yearly event? Is it ok for kids to be out dressed like superman and wonder women in order to collect candy? Is there anything wrong with handing out candy to all those cute kids? Where do we draw the line? We decorate and light up our homes for Santa Clause, can we do the same on Halloween.
So many more questions could be asked along the same lines. Just wondering how the community here at connect responds to Halloween and how do we go about creating an opportunity to minister and share the gospel.
In His Grip

4 Likes

Phillip,

1 Corinthians 10 addresses food sacrificed to idols and Paul states there is no issue with believers eating food sacrificed to idols. UNLESS it offends their conscience towards God or might offend a weaker brother or sister that doesn’t live in the freedom to eat all foods.

A couple of principles I find emerge: 1 - food sacrificed specifically to idols was not restricted from consumption. Whatever the sacrificing meant to the idol worshipers, it didn’t necessarily have any application to a believer. What did have application to a believer was their conscience. If their conscience was offended before God then eating such food would be wrong. If it wasn’t, no big deal.

2 - We do need to consider others in the faith when we make decisions. Some negative examples of What this can look like is that the most easily offended believer can exhibit the lowest bar of acceptable behavior and seek to push that onto others. Or, mature believers might consider something someone else thinks foolish and not be willing to limit their freedom for the other person’s sake. Neither of these is best. In some areas the Bible is explicit in regard to acceptable practices/behaviors. In others, not so much. In areas where the Bible isn’t explicit, following one’s conscience before God is what we’re all called to. Pushing our conviction onto others in non-explicit areas isn’t biblical.

What this looks like in real life is me not inviting someone I know that has their conscience offended by Halloween over for a Halloween party. What it also looks like is me not ruining Santa Claus for other families that don’t have an offended conscience. We are to keep our conscience clear before God in our faith convictions and commitment to him. Within the body, we will never, this side of heaven, all be on the same page. But we can live in concord with other believers, even those we have differences of conviction with.

Other thoughts?

Kevin

2 Likes

Interesting topic @ps32vs8.
I agree with @kumquat, problem is that in today’s society people seem to go out of their way to be offended.
I personally moved to a condo where you have to be buzzed in so no kids coming around for Halloween.
I also make a point of not going to Halloween parties.
I just don’t enjoy some people’s ideas around Halloween. Some are very morbid and insensitive. So I stay away.
As for Christmas parties. I belong to two separate Harley Chapters as the chapter photographer.
I enjoy the fellowship but this is adults having a great supper and fellowship.
I live alone as my wife is in a lodge with mental health issues.
When I am with others in regards to Christmas I avoid the whole Santa Clause scene.
Some people are dead set against the whole Christmas scene and make life miserable for anyone that supports it.
I find this insensitive and just being a bully.
My personal feeling not scripture based or Christian based.
If my friends want to celebrate Halloween or Santa Clause that is up to them. I on my part can either go or stay home.
I guess that is my way of saying there are far more serious issues than these, that we need to be in spiritual warfare and take a stand.
In my mind these two are petty.
Having said that you also have Satan worshipers that take Halloween to a whole different level. That is an entirely more serious and dangerous issue.
Not sure if this helped or muddied the topic

1 Like

I’m glad you brought this up. I admit celebrating Halloween has some fun aspects and know of churches that get into it or host alternative events. I personally have smiled and pointed at some really adorable costumes of ladybugs, pumpkins, and such. But…

Although it can be fun to get in costume and collect mounds of candy and especially to consume those mounds of candy for the next several days, I don’t think it’s a good idea to get involved in a celebration that encourages imitating evil characters or gets a kick out of evil things. There’s nothing worth celebrating in witchcraft, gruesome death, fear, demonic possession, manic behavior, violence, etc. I don’t think I’m going far out here, as from what I’ve seen and heard Halloween promotes these wicked things.

I have solid Christian friends who take part in Halloween. Perhaps some Christians are okay with celebrating Halloween because their hearts are not to exalt any wickedness or take pleasure in evil things. They’re just enjoying playing dress-up and having fun with the kids. My friends realize that some Christians are opposed to it. They’re not disrespectful to me or other folks with different opinions; they are just are free in their own conscience to go ahead and do it (as @kumquat and @CharlesDavid suggest some Christians are). They go ahead without worrying about it.

Do I have any scripture to back up my opinion of thinking it best to not be involved with Halloween? The ones that come to mind are the one about abstaining from the appearance of evil (1 Thes. 5:22); the one about thinking on good things (Phil. 4:8); and the one about God not giving us a spirit of fear (2 Tim. 1:7). I suspect there are more Biblical concepts that would steer us away from Halloween and what it stands for (be it in appearance or actuality).

2 Likes

I think Halloween is a fantastic opportunity to witness to people that are not Christians. HISTORY is a must to understand this celebration so let me explain it and you can use it to open the door to share the gospel, really I mean it.
Halloween is rooted in the Celtic feast samhain (sah-ween).** The Druids believed that on that evening, the separation between the present world and a parallel world was penetrated which in turn released the demons, goblins, witches, etc to harass the living. In order to immunize themselves from attack, they would blend in, incognito, by wearing masks and carve grotesque faces on pumpkins and placate the sprits with various types of treats.
The early Christians responded with All Saints Day (Nov 1st) and was purposed to be a spiritually edifying holiday (holy day) to proclaim the gospel superiority over sah-ween. What came from this is, “all Hallows Eve” from where we derive “Halloween”. So, I encourage you to treat this as an opportunity to to share the gospel message with a little history lesson rather than getting upset that this is a celebration of evil proportions. Our truth always exceeds any so called power that would call into question the strength of our faith. Fear not fellow believers! Engage your community by not participating at placating the demons, but by being a shining light in a dark place, thereby rendering the real source of darkness as one that towers in His presence that mightily dwells within you. ( Credit is due to Hank Hanegraaff from who I learned this from) As a family, I always let the kids dress up, myself included, and chatted with neighbours that I normally might not see for weeks at a time. We also handed out treats to BUILD bridges into the community rather than isolate ourselves as, “those people over there” type of thinking. If the early Christians engaged their community, shouldn’t we also? Hope this helps.
Blessings
Jason

3 Likes