Handling Conflict

Hey Guys
Does anybody here know of any studies to relieve quarrels with unbelievers, specifically with those that are offended by Christian thoughts on sensitive topics like Homosexuality?

Thanks
Vili

2 Likes

I would refer you to 1 Peter 3:15: “But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.”

And Colossians 4:5-6. “Conduct yourself with wisdom in your interactions with outsiders (non-believers), make the most of each opportunity [treating it as something precious].Let your speech at all times be gracious and pleasant, seasoned with salt, so that you will know how to answer each one [who questions you]”

We equip ourselves but understand the manner in which we engage is done with dignity, respect, and with attractive and gracious conversation even in disagreement. We show Jesus to those we interact. This way we can always walk away from the discussion knowing we did what we were called to do. And, the door for friendship and additional dialogue will most likely remain open.

Ravi and the itinerant team have several really good examples of engaging on the topic you reference. Here is one for your edification. God bless you as you go forward presenting the person of Christ.

3 Likes

I think Keldon had summarized it nicely. You can only take responsibility for your behavior and approach, not others responses. If you are being gentle and respectful good. A lot of people stuck in their positions were offended by what Jesus said. He didn’t change His message.

2 Likes

Maybe these can help @AlphaOmega

I found the Trending Questions event to be very enlightening. In his gentle and winsome way Sam also speaks to how we should treat one another within our disagreements on the topic. Additionally I found a link to some study materials from the event.

I watched this video three times before speaking with the college group I help facilitate. Very helpful for me.

1 Like