Has anyone on Connect read the Unseen Realm?

(Jimmy Sellers) #1

What are your thoughts? I am reading it and it has blown my mind. Would love to kick around a few thoughts that he (Heiser) brings out.
For starters Psalms 82:1-2. This is the verse that according to him is the impetus for the book.
1 God stands in the divine assembly;
he administers judgment in the midst of the gods.
2 “How long will you judge unjustly
and ⌊show favoritism to the wicked⌋? Selah

Who is God talking to? Who or what is the divine assembly? What is He mad about?

(Andrew Bulin) #2

There are a few thoughts on the divine assembly. The term elohim is frequently used as plural for supernatural gods. They apparently have been given some authority and have not made good with it. Daniel sometimes likens gods over nations more like the actual leaders or representatives rather than a supernatural power. But the term is still popularly used in the OT for the heavenly. Regardless of their identity, they are very much unlike the eternal YHWH, and are more like mortals as they apparently can die (v. 7).

The reason for the intensity is in vv. 2-4. The people have not been properly led or cared for. There is likely rampant injustice. This is not unlike what the other prophets have claimed (Isa. 1:17; Amos 5:7; Mic. 2:1-2; Hab. 1:3-4). The claim is that God has unltimate authority and responsibility for responding to the current situation the world finds itself in. Knowing that the gods and other nationally identified authorities over the pagan nations of that day were more interested in consuming and using the people, the prophet sides with God to put an end to the injustice and to rule once and for all.

(Anthony Costello ) #3

Wow, this book looks awesome…and desperately needed.

One thing that has been exercising me a lot recently is the persistent deemphasize of the meta-physical realities that the Bible clearly presents to us. If we do any metaphysical thinking these days, it is, at most, to develop our arguments for the existence of God. However, the Bible is replete with angels and demons, not to mention human souls of various orientations and dimensions.

I hope to see more books like this; after all, if the Church in the West keeps capitulating to scientific reductionism, we will continue to be susceptible to the true enemies we war against: Satan, demons, and our own souls. All things that we’ve been told no longer exist, or, if they do, are supposedly powerless to interact with us. But, to lose a sense of the reality of the supernatural, and not just those supernatural agents that are also evil, but also those that serve God, not only does a disservice to the content of Scripture, but also diminishes our capacity to pray effectively.

in Christ,
Anthony

(Jimmy Sellers) #4

I tend to agree with you. It has ben along time since I heard a sermon that incorporated a health dose of heavenly, spiritual warfare.:grinning:
One of the men in my life that opened the scriptures to me is Pastor Steve Rutledge of Welcome Baptist church. Steve often would preach that real battle wasn’t with our fellow man but with the “powers”

When he preach on:

31 What then shall we say about these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 Indeed, he who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all, how will he not also, together with him, freely give us all things? 33 Who will bring charges against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies. 34 Who is the one who condemns? Christ is the one who died, and more than that, who was raised, who is also at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. 35 Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will affliction or distress or persecution or hunger or lack of sufficient clothing or danger or the sword? 36 Just as it is written,

“On account of you we are being put to death the whole day long; 
   we are considered as sheep for slaughter.” 

37 No, but in all these things we prevail completely through the one who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Ro 8:31–39)
You knew when you left that service that Paul wasn’t talking about the Roman’s or the Jewish leadership we was talking about the metaphysical the Unseen Realm.

(Kelly) #5

I’ve listened to some of his seminar on YouTube and am also very curious regarding other’s thoughts.