Have you ever heard of the belief that Satan in the Garden Eden was not a snake but the "council of wisdom?" What do you make of this belief?

Hi Jacob! My daughter went to a Christian College this year that was not in line with all the beliefs she grew up with. I encouraged it because I knew it would challenge her. She came home with a belief I had never heard before… that in the garden, Satan wasnt a snake… he was in “the council of wisdom” and thats why Eve was fooled by him. To me, if Satan was not in snake form, why would God curse the snake and make it go on its belly? That doesnt make sense to me. Have you heard of this belief before? And what do you believe?

1 Like

Hi Shari,
I have not heard of this whole point of satan being in ‘the council of wisdom’. I did some research online and the closest alignment is with a group called Palladists. You can check them out online and see if the Christian college that your daughter goes to is affiliated with the group in any way. If so, then that can be pretty dangerous and you need to be able to have a talk with her about it. And cults in general and the dangers with their belief system.
I am attaching an article here which my colleague in RZIM India wrote on cults. I hope it’s helpful.
Like you say there is sufficient evidence that the serpent was a representation of Satan, as Satan is one who deceives people with half-truths and offers people things outside the purview of God. You see the same sorts of deception in the life of Jesus. The curse though is not just for the serpent as you read in Genesis 3 but every creature- male, female, beasts and even nature. All of creation bears the curse of sin which Christ has ultimately redeemed. Cult - edited.docx (18.7 KB)

Jacob, thank you for that confirmation. Im not crazy. There were other red flags. She has chosen not to go back.

1 Like

Hi Shari,
Praying for what lies ahead for her. God bless you both.

1 Like