He is risen indeed - but haven't we been too?

(Tim Ramey) #1

On this glorious Easter day, Christians are familiar with the saying that “He is risen - He is risen indeed.”
All glory to the Father for raising Him up!

Yet what I read everywhere in scripture is that we were raised with Him. Here is one example of our plight and what we were saved from in Ephesians 2 that I am going over recently:

Eph 2:1 And you he made alive, when you were dead through the trespasses and sins
Eph 2:2 in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience.
Eph 2:3 Among these we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, following the desires of body and mind, and so we were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.
Eph 2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us,
Eph 2:5 even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
Eph 2:6 and raised us up with him, and made us sit with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,

I have recently gone through Colossians 3 that begins by asking us, if we were raised with Christ, why don’t we seek the things that are above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hid with Christ in God.

When speak of Jesus being raised and we were raised with Him, what does that mean to you?

(Carson Weitnauer) #2

Hi Tim, what a great question! This idea that we have been seated in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus is an awesome truth! It is a truth so glorious that it is hard to believe. It sounds “too good to be true.”

But I think if we take it seriously, it also leads to a convicting challenge. If our citizenship is already in heaven, then we should give our first priority and loyalty to God’s kingdom. For instance, to be naturalized in America, a loyalty oath is required. It reads:

“I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.”

An interesting oath! But the oath of the Christian is to a higher sovereign and a greater kingdom. The oath of the Christian is something like:

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend God’s kingdom against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will love God with all my heart, all my mind, all my soul, and all my strength; that I will love my neighbor as myself; and that I take this obligation freely and gratefully, as it is my true purpose in life, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; because Christ has saved me from my sins and won me to himself forever."

To answer your question as directly as I can: I believe that our position, seated with Christ at the right hand of God, should lead us to be absolutely courageous and totally committed to the kingdom of God in this life.

(Giselle Seidel) #3

I totally agree with @CarsonWeitnauer. That’s exactly what it should mean to us every day: a total commitment to live our lives as citizens of heaven, to seek first the Kingdom of God. It is truly a big challenge, but that’s our calling from the One who chose us and appointed us so that we might go and bear fruit… John 15:16.