Hello from Sydney Australia

(Tina Vartis) #1

Hi everyone, my name is Tina and I am from Sydney, Australia. A friend of mine from Bible College recommended the core module course to me and I found not only that the course incredibly helpful but also student feedback was insightful. I volunteer at my church doing Bible One to One studies primarily with people from multicultural backgrounds with little or no Bible knowledge so the material in the RZIM core module has been so valuable in engaging with people from very different backgrounds to my own. Looking forward to spending on line time with all of you.

(Keldon Scott) #2

Welcome aboard @tina.vartis. I was inspired as well by the core module. I hope you get an opportunity to engage in some of the electives because they are all engaging and helpful. God bless the ministry that you were involved in. Feel free to share some stories that you have been blessed by in your role as leader of these Bible studies. I look forward to reading your posts.

(Joshua Spare) #3

Welcome to Connect, @tina.vartis! I love how you are already putting your training and knowledge to good use, and I’m sure that will mean that you will bring a great deal to the discussions here in #daily-evangelism! I hope you find the discussions to grow you both in wisdom and knowledge, and that they help equip you for continuing in the ministries in which you take part! Again, welcome to Connect, and I’m ever so glad you found your way to this community.

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #4

Welcome to Connect, @tina.vartis. Let’s grow together in this community, and may we be able to help you in your ministry in your local church. :slight_smile:

(Jimmy Sellers) #5

Welcome to connect. I like to tell folks that it is the best on line community of its type. People on a mission for God all with the same goal to know Him and make Him known. Looking forward to your input.

(Tina Vartis) #6

Thank you @Keldon_Scott for taking the time to read and respond to my introduction. Much appreciated

(Tina Vartis) #7

Thank you Joshua @jspare. At the moment I am meeting with young women who either have no concept of God or come from a Hindu background, so learning ways to engage with these ladies using every day language rather than Christian-speak will help tremendously.

(Tina Vartis) #8

Thank you Omar @omnarchy for taking the time to connect with me.

(Tina Vartis) #9

Thank you @Jimmy_Sellers. I am so thankful that there is an RZIM community to connect with after doing the core module

(Joshua Spare) #10

That is fantastic, @tina.vartis! If you have particular questions that do come up about best ways to engage or answer questions from people with a Hindu background, I’m sure that you will find great advice from @Lakshmismehta! She is from a Hindu background, and has had some excellent dialogue recently here on Connect comparing some Hindu (specifically ISKON) beliefs to what Christians believe.

(Kathleen) #11

So glad to have you on here, @tina.vartis! ALSO good to have some more Aussies in the house. I love my Aussie friends, and look forward to one day getting to visit. :slight_smile: So very exciting to hear about how the Core Module strengthened you and encouraged you in your one-to-ones. Look forward to having you weigh in on some of the conversations going at the moment!

(Lakshmi Mehta) #12

@tina.vartis, Welcome to Connect! I appreciate your heart for reaching out to Hindus and may God give you wisdom in the relationships you are building. I find that many of the Hindus whom I have met including myself have come to Christ often as a result of being convicted by verses from the Bible or a special experience given by God. I find rational reasons play a secondary role in the conversion process. Many of us were prayed for many years before we came to Christ. I think finding some common ground in the faiths and sharing personal life experiences around meals can be the initial step in opening a door to discussions on faith. Afterlife instead of salvation, moral life / violating our nature instead of sin, karma instead of works and heaven, may be easier to understand. For Hindus, the concept of one life, judgement, atonement, hell are difficult to understand. It may take many conversations to explore even one concept. Look forward to learning from your experiences.

(Tina Vartis) #13

Thank you @KMac

(Tina Vartis) #14

Thank you @Lakshmismehta for those helpful tips. I keep falling into language that I have known and understood my whole life and forget that what is common knowledge to me is not actually common knowledge at all. Again, thanks for your suggestions to rephrase things in a less theological way.

(Tina Vartis) #15

Thank you @jspare for your welcome. I have had some helpful tips already which I can’t wait to use this week