Hello, my name is Federico

books

(Federico Rahn) #1

Hello my name is Federico, I’m interested in finding out what books have helped you grow in your walk with God!
Of whatever kind; devotional, apologetic, Christian growth, discipleship, you name it :blush:.

(Keldon Scott) #2

Welcome aboard @federico.rahn9. So glad you have joined us. And you are participating and engaging already. I have found the Grand Weaver a great book along with Mere Christianity, and Soul Survivor. I look forward to reading your posts. God-bless you and your journey.

(Federico Rahn) #3

Thank you! I’ll be sure to look into soul survivor and grand Weaver ! Thank you for the input. May God bless you too!

(Billie Corbett) #4

Welcome Federico.

Oh my…this is a topic I could go on for a long while with…

In the last couple years:

1. He Leadeth: Me by Walter Ciszek. (I have read it 4 times).
  2. The Reason for God: Tim Keller
  3. Amazing Grace: Eric Metaxas
  4. Martin Luther: Eric Metaxes
  5. In God’s Underground: Richard Wurmbrand
  6. Cardiphonia/Letters from a Pastor’s Heart: John Newton
  7. Speaking of Jesus: Carl Medearis
  8. Man’s Search For Meaning: Viktor Frankl
  9. Incarnate/The Body of Christ in an Age of Disengagement:
    Michael Frost
  10. Why Suffering: Ravi Zacharias & Vince Vitale
    11: The Call: Oz Guinness
    12: Saving Truth: Abdu Murray

13: When Iron Gates Yield : Geoffrey Taylor Bull
God Holds the Key: Geoffrey Taylor Bull
The Sky is Red: Geoffrey Taylor Bull
(G. Bull went to Nepal (on his own) as a missionary in response to
God’s call…(just before the communist take over.) I haven’t met
many people who have read his books.

There you go…a Baker’s dozen. :grinning:

(Stephen Wuest) #5

You did not ask for books that were easy to read, and did not take effort. Here is a short list that might take 10 years to work through. I rate books as 1 = poor, 10 = excellent, but I allow scores up to 15 to represent books that present excellent information, that is very hard to get common lists of “Christian” books.

These are books that present a huge horizon of ideas, not orthodoxy as conceived of by individual denominations.

15/10 An Experiment in Criticism, C.S. Lewis, Cambridge Paperbacks. I include this book under reading in general, because Lewis examines what reading in general is, what its requirements are, and what sort of person really reads. Of course, all that he says about reading books in general, is also true when it comes to reading Scripture!

15/10 Fit Bodies, Fat Minds, Os Guiness, 1994. Anti-intellectualism is a continuous sin against the first command. Guiness traces the growth of evangelical anti-intellectualism.

12/15 The Challenge of Jesus, N.T. Wright, 1999. Wright’s concern is for historical integrity when we talk about Jesus. This is an incredible book about the historical evidence of Jesus. This is a book which largely wins back the “historical Jesus” from the liberals! A must, must read. Tons of usable notes.

14/15 Jesus and the Victory of God, N.T. Wright, 1996. Excellent, excellent introduction to the Jewish culture of the 1st century. A corrective to many well-meaning pious myths. Don’t fear history!

10/10 The Gospel of John, F.F. Bruce, 1983. A beautiful commentary. Accurate. Insightful.

11/10 Notes on the Parables of Our Lord, Trench, 7.95, p.103. Excellent comments. A classic on the parables of Jesus.

9/10 Biblical Interpretation in the Early Church, Froehlick 9.95 p.106. An extremely important subject, although Froehlich is not the most interesting writer. A good buy.

9/10 Biblical Interpretation in the Early Church: An Historical Introduction of Patristic Exegesis, Simonetti, pp. 208, 29.95. An extremely important subject. Sometimes Simonetti is not the most interesting writer, but this is a core subject, and important to the disciple. A good buy.

10/10 Exegetical Fallacies, 2nd ed., Carson, pp. 128 5.95, CBD Academic. A good, solid read for those concerned about biblical scholarship! Many examples of flawed exegesis.

8/10 The Real Jesus: The Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus and the Truth of the Traditional Gospels. p.177 $22.00 Critical review of the methodology and purpose of the Jesus Seminar. Underlines the whole problem of modern Biblical interpretation, and what is orthodox. A little weak on the resurrection, but excellent arguments against the modern liberal consensus.

X 12/10 The Canon of Scripture, F.F. Bruce, pp. 349, 19.95 hardcover, CBD Academic. Excellent! This scholar gives such a different view of the times and attitudes, than the myths often believed by modern Christians.

13/10 The Canon of the New Testament, Metzger 19.95 Excellent, and clearly organized.

10/10 Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis. Mere Christianity is a book about Christianity that I have found to be very useful. Some of the examples that C.S. Lewis uses to explain what God is like, are amazing. And they may be useful to those who are leading the Seeker’s class, or trying to answer questions from non-Christians.

15/10 Miracles, C.S. Lewis, Touchstone, 1975, p. 234, 7.00 A gentle, discerning study of God’s miraculous power (the possibility of it). Outstanding! Quotable! A deep thinker.

15/15 What Saint Paul Really Said: Was Paul of Tarsus the Real Founder of Christianity? N.T. Wright, 1997. A very astounding placement of Paul directly within first century Judaism. This book has revolutionized how I read Paul.

10/10 On the Incarnation, Athanasius. Some of the most amazing thoughts on Jesus’ incarnation that I have ever read. But this takes work to read.

10/10 Freedom of Simplicity, Foster, 1973. The author examines the central place of simlicity, in the Christian obedience. It is a radical state, and so contrary to the materialism of the West. We remain enslaved, as long as we do not understand the freedom of simplicity.

10/10 The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind, Noll. A book to raise the consciousness of how anti-intellectual the Evangelical culture has become.

X 12/10 The Trivialization of God, McCullough. This is a good correction for modern American culture, which has commonly tried to remake God in some acceptable, controllable form. The author points out the awful ramifications of this kind of idolatry.

X 10/10 The Living God, Oden, 19.95
X 13/10 The Word of Life, Oden, 19.95 Excellent!! A theology about Christ.

13/10 Beyond Liberation Theology, Belli and Nash. A look at the liberation that Jesus really taught, and the liberal remake in liberation theology.

**13/10 Answering Islam: The Crescent in the Light of the Cross. Geisler and Saleeb, Baker. This book gives so many reasons why Islam just is not intellectually respectable. Adult level. Also answers the Muslim criticisms of Christianity. Would make an advanced discipleship source book.

15/15 Islam Revealed: A Christian Arab’s View of Islam, Shorrosh, 1988. Someone who intimately knows the Quran and Arabic examines the claims of Islam. In so many ways Islam is inconsistent, and not worthy of respect.

10/10 Historians’ Fallacies: Toward a Logic of Historical Thought, Fischer, 1970. A careful examination of fallacies. Some of them apply more to the writing of history, but many of them apply to the interpretation of Scripture. An interesting source book. Carson quotes this book in Exegetical Fallacies. Note that many of these fallacies are used by the liberals, when they interpret Scripture.

9/10 Symbolic Logic 5th ed., Irving Copi. So you want to improve your logical thinking? This is the testbook! Unparalleled.

14/15 Ideas Have Consequences, Weaver, University of Chicago Press, 1984. A classic work on the modern world’s embrace of false philosophies, and the logical outcome of those beliefs. Weaver examines the breakdown of our modern society.

14/15 Visions of Order: The Cultural Crisis of Our Time, Weaver, 1964. This book is Weaver’s analysis of what went wrong with American culture. For that reason, it is an important work for Christians who are interested in redeeming American culture.

11/10 Christian Belief in a Postmodern World, Diogenes Allen 15.99 Some real apologetic helps when dealing with the false faith—reason antagonism. Some deep analysis of why the Christian faith makes sense.

10/10 Historians’ Fallacies: Toward a Logic of Historical Thought, Fischer, 1970. A careful examination of fallacies. Some of them apply more to the writing of history, but many of them apply to the interpretation of Scripture. An interesting source book. Carson quotes this book in Exegetical Fallacies.

9/10 The Rise of Christianity: A Sociologist Reconsiders History, Rodney Stark, 37.50,
Princeton University Press. A very interesting read! Stark is not Christian, but he greatly admires much about the testimony of the early Christians, and thinks that many have interpreted the dynamic of the rise of Christianity wrongly. Applying sociological models, and examining the lifestyle of people in the Roman empire, he examines some very pertinent questions about the nature of early Christianity (which, by the way, contradict some of the assumptions of radical feminists).

8/10 God or Goddess? Hauke, 17.99 Preservation Press. A discussion of the gender of God, and gender vocabulary.

RC 14/10 Ungodly Rage: The Hidden Face of Catholic Feminism, Steichen, 14.99 Preservation Press. A stunning book documenting the appalling agenda of the religious feminists to replace orthodox Christianity with a new and pagan religion. Must reading for Christians who think that religious feminists have a harmless agenda. A must read.

10/10 The Unexpeced Legacy of Divorce: A 25 Year Landmark Study, Wallerstein, 2000. A terrible eye-opener about how divorce damages the children involved, as well as the adults. An apologetic agianst the common liberal position that divorce and remarriage is innocuous.

10/10 The Creationists, Numbers 16.00 A history of “creation science” in America. Shows the predominance of heretics in the early days, and the ongoing lack of education of the leaders of the movement. The faith-science antagonism is a recent thing, fostered by uneducated hermeneutics. A must read for the serious disciple.

10/10 Darwin’s Black Box, Behe 25.00 This is a text dealing with the problems that modern
microbiology creates for believing macroevolution. There is astounding evidence for “irreducibly complex” systems in microbiology. Such systems are a counterexample to the argument that everything evolved gradually.

11/10 Evolution: A Theory in Crisis, Denton 19.95 Excellent scientific critique of how
microevolution is well proved, but macroevolution is a more and more untenable speculation. A
fair treatment.

12/10 The Design Inference, Cambridge University Press, 1998. A key theoretical objection to the acceptance of evolution driven by random mutation. An examination of small probability events. A key intellectual part of thinking about natural complexity.

15/15 Aborted Women, Silent No More, Reardon 14.95. A very rational apologetic against abortion. Educate yourself about the real trauma of abortion. A must read.

15/15 Miracles, C.S. Lewis, 1978. A gently, discerning study. Lewis explains why it is logical to believe that God is capable and willing to do the miraculous. An excellent study.

8/10 After Virtue, MacIntyre. Some REAL insights on the vocabulary used by modern America to talk about morality. He points out that we have lost all historical meanings for the vocabulary we use. Better suited to those who like philosophy.

11/10 Christian Belief in a Postmodern World, Diogenes Allen, 13.95, CBD Academic

12/10 Problem of Pain, C.S. Lewis 4.95 p.144. EXCELLENT!!

12/10 This Idea Must Die, Brockman, editor, $15.99 pp. 547 A secular review of secular, scientific ideas that are outdated, and need to be retired. Apologists need to know which scientific ideas have real problems.

8/10 The Juvenilization of American Christianity, Bergler, EErdmans, $26 An overview of the trends in evanglism, to target young people, using techniques that appeal to young people. The author goes through decades of examples, showing how this modification of the gospel to be attractive, does not produce mature Christians.

8/10 Moral Theory, Timmons, Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., 2002, $26.94 A hard read, in some places. Some selections are very useful for apologetics, or discussing Christian topics logically.

15/10 15/10 The Oxford Handbook of Causation, Beebee et alia, Oxford University Press, 2009, pp. 769. This is state of the art of philosophical discussions on what causation is. For Christians, ask the question “What causes a proposition to be true?”

(Billie Corbett) #6

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for your list of great reads.
Wow! Super helpful! Lots of material to direct my future reading.
Thank you for commenting on what you found valuable about each book. I found that to be important and useful. You are skilled at condensing and synthesizing content.
You mentioned one of C.S. Lewis’s that I haven’t heard of before. I am going to track that one down for sure. At the moment, I am reading through C.S. Lewis’s letters. Reading his letters gives the reader a real sense of his personality and development during his youth. The letters he wrote to those closest to him…gives me insight into the foundational life experiences that shaped him to be who he became.

I love reading historical material…because a reader can retrospectively observe the Sovereign hand of God within circumstances, within history. The reader can contextualize people and events.

Great minds are fascinating. I’m drawn to try to understand the experiences that shaped those minds. It enables me to perceive and comprehend God’s work. What God did or didn’t do. How it came to be that He equipped them to fulfill His purposes.

While I enjoy abstract thought, logic and brilliant writing…I need to balance it with understanding reality…I need to see the personal interactive dealings of God in individual lives. It gives me hope as a believer, that He is indeed actively at work in my own life, to the end of His own Glory…and everyone’s good.

(Stephen Wuest) #7

Sorry for the length of the list.

The books that have changed the way I think, are the ones that required a lot of work and attention, to work through. And they were excellent, not because they were theoretical, but because they gave insights into the shared reality that we live in.

Understanding the shared reality that we live in, is the core of apologetics.

Most of the relevant critiques on modern political correctness, require knowledge of formal logic, and moral systems, and epistemology, and biblical literacy. A lot of people see these areas as “theory,” but they offer intellectual structure that is necessary to insightfully engage with our modern cultures. The line between what is theoretical, and what is practical, is mainly a fake one.

Try taking the long view. Put together a 10 year reading list, and don’t demand that you find massive wisdom, in the next month. Put in the hard work. Then one day you will turn around, and realize that your mind and understanding are radically changed.