Helping hands

(Praneeth samuel) #1

Can we help children who beg? Is it not that we encourage them to beg by helping them? Because in India there are some people who work behind the scenes and make children beg for their benefits!!

(SeanO) #2

@Praneeth18 I’m not sure about what the wisest course of action would be in India, but in the US folks often take the homeless guys out for a meal rather than giving them money. But even then there are guys who are not truly homeless who take advantage of this kindness to get a free meal. So I think there is an inherent risk in giving of ourselves to strangers - we cannot know their story. That is the benefit of working through an organization that does background checks and such.

I once spoke with a homeless fellow, Tim, who said that rather than giving him food he wanted someone to give him a job so that he could get his own food. And I think he made a good point - the best way to help those kids on the street would be to adopt one of them or help them get involved in an organization that could help them over the long haul. I really like what Andy Stanley says:

do for the one what you wish you could do for the many - Andy Stanley

We cannot adopt every kid off of the street, but maybe we could adopt one. We cannot support every kid we see on the street, but maybe we could help one attend a Church or place that can really get them help.

I think the two questions I would ask are:

• how can I help them so that tomorrow they will be better able to live a life free from poverty?
  • how is God’s Spirit leading me in this moment? Perhaps in general you only work with organizations that do background checks, but on some occasion God leads you to help out a kid on the street by buying them a meal.

Some thought provoking quotes from C. S. Lewis:

“I do not believe one can settle how much we ought to give. I am afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare. In other words, if our expenditure on comforts, luxuries, amusements, etc, is up to the standard common among those with the same income as our own, we are probably giving away too little. If our charities do not at all pinch or hamper us, I should say they are too small. There ought to be things we should like to do and cannot do because our charitable expenditure excludes them.” C. S. Lewis

On the way to an Inklings meeting, he gave some money to a street beggar, and I (Walter Hooper) made the usual objection: “Won’t he just spend it on drink?” Lewis answered, “Yes, but if I kept it, so would I.”

Compassion - Holistic Child Development

One thing I really like about Compassion International is how holistic their model of helping poor kiddos out - they help them out in every area of life so that they can flourish as the grow older. They help them get a trade, take care of their health, teach them about Jesus and educate them. All through the local Church - great model!

https://www.compassion.com/sponsor_a_child/how-child-sponsorship-helps.htm