High-Profile Christians Falling Away

In the last year or so, I’ve seen at least 3 “high-profile” Christians fall away from their faith (Marty Sampson, Joshua Harris, and now the lead-singer of the band Hawk Nelson). In all honesty, I’m confused, hurt, and slightly worried. It hurts to see people leave the faith. I’m confused as to how someone who claims to have known God for so long, could leave the faith. And lastly, I myself have had doubts and struggled with not knowing if I could believe in God any longer. The conclusion I came to was that I’ll never have all the answers, and I choose to trust God even when I don’t understand. That is still my conclusion. Falling away is something I pray would never happen to me, or anyone. It’s just a really difficult subject for me. Specifically this case of the lead-singer from Hawk Nelson. He stated that his whole prayer life always felt one-sided, and that he prayed for God to show up and let him know that He is real. He states that God never revealed Himself. That is very troublesome to me. I know that God is sovereign and He is always working even when we can’t feel it. So even though I don’t understand, I choose to believe that God is still good. But I’ll be honest, it hurts to see stories like this.

Why do y’all feel that we are seeing an increasing about of people fall away (or maybe I’m just noticing it more)? It brings to mind Jesus’s parable about the soils.

6 Likes

Hi @ashtonbrewer94 thank you for sharing this. I understand how troubling you find this and painful it is to watch. The trouble especially with this is it’s easy to think that because they’re ‘high profile’ they must have a better understanding of God than others, which is just not the case. Who knows what struggles they have had? I have no idea how that lead singer from Hawk Nelson approached prayer to find it so one sided. If these were personal friends, I’d want to take time to find out exactly how they got to their conclusions. Each person faces their own challenges and struggles. Ephesians 6 repeatedly exhorts us to ‘stand firm’ as and when these troubles try and knock us down. Sometimes we can be deceived into thinking it’s easier to give up.

This is great - you’ve summed up what it means to make a choice to trust God so well. Stories like the ones you’ve mentioned can knock us sideways a bit, but we don’t base our faith in God based on other people, only what the Bible says about God. Everything on earth is temporary and changeable. God isn’t. Making this choice can be hard sometimes. I can’t speculate about other people’s personal situations, but at least we can consider how we can move forward in our own relationships with God.

Os Guinness made this really great statement:

we may be in the dark about what God is doing, but we’re not in the dark about God.

This is because of the infallible word of God. The Bible assures us of God’s eternal and unchanging nature. What the Bible says about him and his purposes in our lives are as true today as when they’re written. What Jesus did for us on the cross has eternal impact, and his love for us is sure.

I like your reference to the parable of types of soil. I’d like to add one other parable - the wise man who built his house on the rock and the foolish who built his house on the sand. (Matthew 7:24-27) When the storms came, only the house on the rock stood firm. Who is the rock? Jesus. I wonder how often we can allow other things to creep into our lives as a place of security other than Jesus?

One final thought - when I have moments of feeling that God has seemed pretty quiet recently (I know he’s probably not, but it can be my interpretation sometimes!), I find it so helpful to read back over scriptures that have encouraged me, or things God has impressed on me from the past, or even times when He has answered my prayers. I keep a journal with these things in for such moments. Sometimes we need to spend time rebuilding our faith if it gets knocked. This is modelled to us in 1 Samuel 30:6-

But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God.

I hope this encourages you. And you may find that the people you’ve mentioned are on your heart because the Lord is urging you to pray for them.

8 Likes

Alison,

Thank you for the response! I will be praying for these three that I have mentioned, as well as others who struggle with their faith as I have before.

I definitely agree with you about how we can sometimes put our faith in things other than Jesus. A friend of my brother was telling us last night that he had “stopped trying to be religious” after a “super Christian” friend of his made some really poor decisions and was very hypocritical. He had placed his trust in this friend of his and he let him down. You are very right: people are fallible, God is not!

3 Likes

Possibly what appears to be may not be? Through out history from way back in Bible times till today, people have been practicing believers and then fallen away. Looking at each individual carefully may disclose specific reasons why, but generally something inside them declares God to have let them down. That can be not having prayers answered or a close persons life taken. I have noticed when I am troubled by life my default is to turn toward God. Others perhaps are not hard wired that way? The Bible speaks about the soils and those who turn from God all over the pages. I get soul sick when I listen to the stories of people who become rejectors of Christ for who knows what reasons. God’s ways are not mankind’s ways and not getting what we suppose we should isn’t licence to flee God.

5 Likes

Hi Ashton,
I am sorry to hear about these “high profile” Christians falling away. Even as Alison stated, we do not know what these individuals are going through, we must pray for these individuals to return to their First Love. Besides, these individuals were probably not in their right spiritual mind to walk away from God (they were probably emotionally impacted by circumstances of life). If they did go through things, God might have spoken to them in a way they did not recognize, or perhaps they got an answer they didn’t like. Our walk is a test of faith.
I do know this, even as King David said:" Though He might slay me, yet will I trust Him." Ashton, who else can we run to? God is our salvation. I myself am experiencing a very tough situation with my 20 year old son. He was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer which has very poor survival statistics attached to it. I know God can deliver my son from that and prove Himself to my son (I’d love that). I also know that Jesus asked His Father for a personal miracle in the garden of Gethsemane, but The Father did not grant Jesus that miracle, for our sakes. Thank God!!!
What am I saying in all this? God is merciful even if we don’t perceive His mercy as such, we just have to look for Him, because God’s mercy is in every breath we take! Every moment of peace we enjoy, God granted that. God gave His beloved son for you, Ashton, and me, I think for a person to walk away from a saving God is insulting/rejecting or insulting the sacrifice of Jesus. I think we forget sometimes that we deal with an eternal God. I know sometimes our walk can be dry, like a soldier walking through a dessert. I have been in the dessert for a long time it seems… I know He never forsakes us even if we feel forsaken. We experience but a fraction of the suffering that Jesus Christ experienced on the cross, when all the sin of the world was placed upon Him and Jesus was separated from the Father! We must put our suffering in that light of Christ’s suffering and adjust our perspective accordingly.
I do pray that we will come out on the other side of the fire as purified gold, as we stand the test of time. Take courage and endure Ashton, God does have His eyes on us :slight_smile: Thank you for your transparency, take heart, you are not alone.

8 Likes

At the end of this age, Jesus predicts a great falling away. The cornerstone is also the stone the builders rejected. Men fall away for the same reason they don’t believe in the first place. See John 3:19

4 Likes

Ashton, I think it makes most of us sad to hear of a high profile “Christian” falling away. I think one of the reasons is because as publicly as their confession of faith was, their denial of that faith was just as public. It is sad to hear about and I wonder if we also feel that their denial damages the name of Christ somewhat in the eyes of a skeptic, or something to that effect. Sadly, people leave the faith often, and it’s going to happen to public figures as much as anyone else. But I think it is good to remember that there are many stories of people confessing Christ, falling away, only to come back even stronger years later. We have all heard stories like that. So while it is sad to hear about it happening to anyone, and to people that are well known, it is good to remember that this may just be part of a walk that will later lead to real salvation. I think that @artownsend is right when she says that you may feel a burden about this because you are to pray for them. We should always pray for public people that have left the faith. I pray that they find the truth and have a powerful testimony as a result.

We can never know why a person claims to be a Christian and then later denounces his faith, but the reasons can be as unique as each person, and sometimes not so unique. The case of Josh Harris was a big surprise for me. My family spent a few years meeting with a house church that had teen kids that read Harris’s book. We never got into the purity culture, although we were influenced some by it, but our friends did. Some of the teens turned out ok, some were totally disillusioned and fell away like Josh did. Having read some of what Harris had to say for his reasons for denouncing his faith, I can see where he is coming from. He spent years believing something that he came to see as shallow and false. This often happens with people with very legalistic beliefs who rely on their own strength for sanctification and good works. Rather than trusting God to be who He says He is and looking for the truth outside of their legalistic beliefs, they just leave it all when they realize the futility of their legalism, for lack of any better ideas. Harris did seem to be wondering where he should go from where he left, and I sincerely pray he finds the path to freedom in Christ. What really broke my heart is that he left his family too. I guess I can’t see how they could live in harmony with him rejecting all they believed, but it is still so sad.

I hope that praying for those that have fallen away encourages you to look for more opportunities to encourage those that are doubting and pray for them as well. As a church we should all be doing this for those that have lost their faith. :heart:

5 Likes

Excellent response!
It can be so discouraging to hear about people who are “deconstructing” their faith, but I love how you referenced Ephesians 6. This is one of the reasons the local church is so important — we can encourage one another to “stand firm” and be there to wrestle with the tough questions together rather than in isolation.

4 Likes

Hello Ashton,

I must say up front that I am not really familiar with the band that you have mentioned, but I have been hearing about this situation for a little while now. While I cannot speak to this person in particular, I think that you are correct, there are a lot of people who are falling away, but I love the heart of your response to that, that you do not understand, but you will not let that stop you from believing in God. I remember your question a while ago about faith, and brother I’m seeing a lot of faith in that statement alone. We are going to face many trials in this life whether those trials are painful, or stressful, or testing of our faith, it all comes in many different forms, but it all challenges us to grow in our dependence on Christ. What does He say to us in these times? Just look at what His answer to Paul in 2 Corinthians 12:9, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Paul’s response? Verses 9-10, “Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong”
No matter the situation we are facing, the grace of Jesus Christ is sufficient for us, unfortunately, not everyone believes that.

In Matthew 24, Jesus describes the signs of the end times to the disciples. In verses 3-14 He says, “As he sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?” And Jesus answered them, “See that no one leads you astray. For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray. And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are but the beginning of the birth pains.
“Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations for my name’s sake. And then many will fall away and betray one another and hate one another. And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold. But the one who endures to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come”

It is unfortunate when someone who has such a high profile view in this world falls away, because this not only hurts to see for them, but also for those who looked up to that person and now find themselves questioning what happened. But this is not abnormal unfortunately. I think it happens far more often than we see, just not always to people who are easily in view. There could be a lot of reasons too. There could be a crisis in their lives that they just were not prepared for, or they may have professed faith in a moment of happiness thinking that Christianity is all happiness, or they may not have the foundation that they need to weather the storms. Whatever the reason, we should always pray for them to find their way back. We have all had down times in our lives when we felt as if God doesn’t care, but we must remember the words of 2 Timothy 2:11-13, “The saying is trustworthy, if we have died with Him, we will also live with Him; if we endure, we will also reign with Him; if we deny Him, He also will deny us; if we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.”
Even when we fail to be faithful to Him, He never fails to be faithful to us. But He does not promise that the road will be an easy one. Quite the opposite, in Matthew 7:13-14, He says, “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.”

The way to destruction is the easy path to take, and many will perish on that path. But the way to life is narrow, and those who find it will be few. Just like the rich young ruler, many will look right at the way to life, and turn from it because they do not want to give up their fallenness and follow Christ. That is why we must do all we can to share the truth of God’s word with everyone who we can, so that the Holy Spirit will be able to do His work in them, and lead them to the saving grace of Christ.

Finally in 1 Peter 4:12, Peter tells us, “Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed.
Peter tells us not to be surprised when trials come upon us, it’s not strange at all that they do. In fact, Christ specifically warns us as Christians to expect such trials. John 16:33, “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have tribulation. But take heart, I have overcome the world.”
We will suffer in this world, we will have hardship, our faith will be tested through the fire of trial and tribulations, but we serve a Savior who has already won the victory. In Him, we may feel like we are losing at times, but the truth is, if we put our faith in Him, we have already won.

There are times when I have felt like my prayer life is one-sided too. I think we all have experiences like that at times. We pray, and because we don’t see fire rain from the sky(I exaggerate of course), we don’t see some physical sign from Him, we wonder if He’s really there. But what happened with the Pharisees? In Matthew 16:1-4, “And the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and to test him they asked him to show them a sign from heaven. He answered them, “When it is evening, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.’ And in the morning, ‘It will be stormy today, for the sky is red and threatening.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.” So he left them and departed.”
Jesus had been right there for so long performing signs and miracles and fulfilling prophecy, and they still demanded signs from Him. Jesus told them that they had the ability to perceive the weather by looking at the sky, and yet with all their Biblical knowledge and all the work God had done, they still did not believe Him. One of these days, the visible signs of God are going to come, but no one who has rejected Him will want them to be here when they finally do.

The truth of it is, we have all the signs we need. In Romans 1, Paul tells us in verses 19-20, “For what can be known about God is plain to them, because He has shown it to them. For His invisible attributes, namely, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.”
I don’t think I have ever been able to walk outside at night and look up at the sky without feeling the assurance of His existence, just in that. To think of the vast complexities of this world, or the unfathomable depths of the universe, and to say that He has not made Himself clearly visible is not only a denial of what He tells us in Romans, but also foolishness to say. He is clearly perceived in the things He has made. From the micro universe, to the macro universe, His workmanship is visible as plainly as a fingerprint on a sparkling clean glass window. Even as Paul says, that anyone who denies Him with all that evidence, has no excuse. We all want evidence, and we have His word, and His creation. We have all the evidence we could ever need.

It is painful to see people walk away from Christ, and over such things as saying that they want visible signs. The one thing I can say to that Ashton, pray for them. Pray for people who deny Him, people who need Him desperately. Pray that the Spirit of God will be at work in their hearts and not let them go. There are many who fall away, but there are many who return as well. In the end, we must trust Christ and always remember that He is in control. He will not let one of those entrusted to Him slip from His hand. Just as John 10:28-30 tells us, “I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will take them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to take them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”
I don’t know how God does everything, I don’t even understand the smallest fraction of it all, but I know that He is sovereign over all. I know that He is in control over all things and that His will is what will be done. We serve a God who cannot be subverted, or overpowered, or out of control. All is under His hand. Therefore, let us hope in Him, and pray for those who are failing, or struggling to do the same.

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6.
God bless.

Matthew

5 Likes

Thanks for raising this question. I was just reading about the musician from Hawk Nelson and thought of a question.
If a famous or high-profile Christian produces content (books, music, etc.) and then later falls away from their faith, would you still consume this media they created previously or would you have a bad feeling about it because of their current beliefs?

One thing that troubles me as well is when a famous Christian decides no longer to believe in Christ, it can make you wonder what is keeping me from doing the same since we often place celebrities - in the Christian world especially - on a pedestal and think they are safe from things such as doubts.

2 Likes

Hi Sadie,
That is a good question. Would I still consume written material or Musik from a person that has fallen away? To that I’d say:” Truth is truth, irregardless of the vessel it was delivered through.”
However, we must watch that we follow Christ and not that particular person! That is why some people fall away, because they followed a person and not Christ.
People that are in the limelight are at risk to self-exalt, humility therefore is a christians constant checkpoint. Christ pointed all things to the Father and Christ alone should always be our prime example.
Thank you for the mind tickler :blush:

7 Likes

I can understand your concern here Sadie. What indeed keeps any of us from ceasing to believe in Christ? It is indeed discouraging when we see someone that we held in high esteem one day deny Christ. I can see where it would cause one to do some soul searching to make sure that they are secure in their faith. What we need to remember is that we don’t know the hearts of these people that fall away from the faith. Where was their heart when they professed to believe and now that they don’t? That is their story and they will answer to God for what they do. The lesson we can learn is to not glorify any believer over another and to remember that we are all sinners capable of messing up just as much as the next person. Study to be strong in your own faith, edify others as you can, be real about your own and other’s vulnerability as humans capable of making mistakes, and pray for those that one day deny their faith in Christ. Faith, weak faith, or no faith, it is all difficult to process when others that you looked up to or thought were ok seem to really be struggling. I’ve experienced that with friends that I never imagined would go through the faith trials they are experiencing. But even though on the outside their faith seemed strong, they had a shaky foundation that no one really knew about that caused things to crumble when the walls were tested. It is heartbreaking but we must come along side those people, love them, and pray for them. Celebrities are just people like our friends are with the even more cause for temptation in some ways, and they could really use our love and prayers. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We had listened to Hawk Nelson CDs while driving to Creation Fest West and included their band’s influence around our family. On a long drive we utilize Adventures in Odyssey audio stories and a variety of christian music artists to stimulate our children’s minds toward God and not the peer pressure of ungodly world influence.They get enough of that at school. So, Sadie makes a pondering point in this question, am I OK with listening to Hawk Nelson now?

I think yes with a caveat. I make a habit to educate my children about the artists and organizations that produce the stuff that is getting inputted into their brains. Whether Disney (liberal fantasy style) or pop music (many fallen christian artists there) my kids get a walk through on knowing what they feed on. I ask them what the lyrics are saying, how does this stuff influence your walk with Jesus as your Lord? Sometimes we tune in a secular radio station, something I grew up with and their friends listen to, and dig into it. Usually sexual stimulated reciting’s lead to worldly passions and ungodly views rather noticeably quick. While there are also songs with profound life observations and catchy sounds. And add to that genre of music types that are more appealing. Then I ask, should we give this stuff access to something God owns, our mind, body and souls? It is one thing to through the baby out with the bath water and quite another to drown the baby in it. We are what we eat and influence is so wide-ranging.

It reminds me of the Amy Grant wipe out back in the 1992 days. At the time the church of America wrestled with ever playing her music ever again? Amy had amazing songs of praise and inspiring music lyrics. I certainly don’t agree with divorce but understand what causes it- sin. I grew up around divorce and know well the inner workings of it. And I am not in Amy’s shoes or Hawk Nelson’s mind. I also know Amy never denied her faith in Jesus. Can you find doctrinal grounded poetry in Hawk Nelson songs?

Let’s be honest about christian music history. How do people see us and how does God see us? Elvis had many platinum songs and albums. Most are his popular rock songs, yet many others were gospel songs that came from his love of Christ. He often gave praise to Jesus in a concert but ultimately if you ask the general public if Elvis was a christian what would they say? They would see how he ended. Take another christian artist John Cooper of Skillet. I crank up “Lions” and tears roll off my face making me want to live love loud for Christ every day. Or having talked with Jason Mitchell of S.O.C.O.M. (Soldier Of Christ On a Mission) at Creation Fest a few years ago and listening to his personal testimony, I can say confidently I really want my kids to take his music to heart. And the list goes on.

There is so much christian godly influence in music that we should simply ask the question, “Why should I listen or read this?” We need to understand the world in order to reach it. That doesn’t mean we should research culture by smoking weed or become sexually ungodly to know what it’s like. We have been set apart. There will be more than enough believers that have been rescued from the dark lifestyles such as this stuff that we can know their testimonies and stay clear ourselves. I know this is true personally.

Learning to discern right from wrong in what we allow ourselves to be influenced by will protect our minds from Satan’s assault. And the crafty Dragon will dig into human culture through those willing and weakened and penetrate the Body of Christ anywhere we drop our guard. Wearing the armour of God is 24/7.

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” Ephesians 6:10-17 NIV

In summary, your faith in Jesus is entrusted to you alone. A gift by grace from God the Father. So protect it. Nourish it. Enjoy it as precious. This world of humanity is the great lost and found drop box. Faith in Jesus as Lord is being property of the King of kings. It isn’t about feeling lost and confused, but knowing you were found and collected for a purpose. And life after coming to saving faith is a road where the learning of God’s purposes for you is personal and always growing through testing, pain, happy days, troubled waters and at our last breath- victory!

“I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified." John 17:13-19 NIV

Living like resident aliens.

Ken :studio_microphone::tv::clamp::dagger::canada::open_umbrella:

2 Likes

So many awesome answers and perspectives offered here. I will try not to reiterate what others have laid out so well. I would just want to add the idea that just cause we get saved and have put our faith in Christ we will still doubt, we will still sin, we will find ourselves depending on our works, we will see the Pharisee in ourselves, the Peter, the Thomas. It’s so crucial to remember we and every other Christian is saved by grace. I wonder about the pressure these high-profilers must endure. I’m sure glad my walk isn’t in the limelight… to have every doubt and slip and weakness exposed and analyzed, criticized… by the world and often by other supposed believers.

I’m sorry I don’t have a bunch of scriptures to back up my comments. Just some musings from a fellow sojourner all too familiar with the snares, pits and traps laid out along this way. God help us truly love them, even in their weakness, be diligent in prayer for our brothers and sisters blessed with such platforms of influence and God willing we will see them restored and renewed in their faith. :sparkles::heart::sparkles:

4 Likes

Hi Carolyn,
I hear a lot of grace and self reflection in your post. I like that, as so often we don’t see the pharisee in ourselves, the doubter who wants to believe but can’t help their unbelief, or when our mind is at ease for the day because our Christlike actions upon which we rest. I have experience these roles as I am sure a lot of our brothers and sisters have.
It is indeed by grace we are saved through faith. Let us all learn to walk in grace and love toward one another. Let us lift up one another in prayer and hopefully our walk will be one continuous walk with the Lord.

3 Likes

:pray:t4:Amene

Hi there @gchop I like what you said that all though there are many falling away from faith, there are many coming to faith. It might give ammunition to the unbelievers and skeptics, but I don’t believe that it does any harm to the consistency of Gods word. It’s time like is this we can use the opportunity to defend the Faith truthfully and with love.
With the strides we made with apologetics in the twenty-first century, we have enough resources And this includes the scriptures to help us defend the faith successful.
Let not your heart be troubled believe God also believe in “Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.”
‭‭John‬ ‭14:1‬ ‭KJV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/1/jhn.14.1.kjv
It’s so comforting that this is the same chapter where Jesus said, I am way the truth and the life. All these people need is someone that loves them so much that they can share the true Gospel with them.

2 Likes

I like your response to the question. I would like to add that my long experiences in the Christian faith is that the are a lot of professors, and far less possessors. Many profess to be Christians, but a close examination of their life often reveals they are far more worldly minded than focused on a relationship with God, through an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ. Possessors make time to connect with with Jesus and read his word every day. They volunteer, finding ways they can be the hands and feet of Jesus. They don’t just say, “I will pray for you,” they ask questions, and pray with them. Look around any church and it’s easy to spot those who are physically present, but emotionally checked out. What does a possessor do? Introduce themselves. Strike up a conversation, and ask some probing questions. Ask if the person would like to pray with them. I usually ask people to begin the praying by telling them that they can talk to Jesus just like they are talking with me right now. Then I finish the prayer. I usually then ask if they would be interested in talking further by phone or meeting for coffee. If yes, I give them a business card and ask them to call me.

Is it surprising that some, even an occasional, high profile personality, are renouncing their Christian faith? No, not really. There are some in ministry, preachers, teachers and musicians, who may have been emotionally moved, prayed a prayer, but did their life change? Jesus said, “So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.” Strong words? Yes indeed! But, isn’t the salvation process often tragically trivialized? “If you want to know Jesus pray this simple prayer with me.” Some, perhaps many, go away having little understand of what just happened. God rescued the human race by sending his son to earth to live a sinless life, and then be tortured to death to pay for our sins. However the story doesn’t end there. Three days later he rose again, victorious over sin, death & hell. This is the same Jesus that in the beginning “all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made…John 1:3. The earth is being shake. Our nation is being shaken to it’s foundation. Christianity is coming under attack. The day is coming, perhaps sooner than later, that it could cost us dearly to confess that yes, I am a follower of Jesus Christ.” How many who profess to be Christian will pass this test? Will you and I pass this test.? Dear friends it is time really appreciate what Jesus has done for us. It is time learn & grow in our faith, and that God has two requirements for every Christ follower: live a life of love, and live a life of forgiveness. When we do this we will naturally flow into the next step, to become ambassadors for Jesus Christ. May God richly bless you and your families!

1 Like

Yes sir, amen! :blush:

Remember, it’s not the entire Hawk Nelson band that is walking away. It is one member of that group. I will admit that it DOES make it more difficult because it is the lead singer–the guy actually voicing the words–that is the walker. But having said that, the rest of the band are not walking.

A good question would be, “Who wrote the songs?” If the singer wrote them all, then they were written and performed without complete integrity, and that should be considered. I’d have an easier time listening if others wrote the songs.

1 Like