Hindrances to Gospel in India

(Ashish Money) #1

In Northern Part of India these are the three most common hindrances to the Gospel.

1. We preach because we get money from abroad.
  2. Accepting Christianity guarantees job and a girl in marriage.
  3. We preach because we want to increase the Christian population in India.

When people have certain things in their minds it becomes a great challenge to speak and show the love of Christ in our daily life. Cause no matter whatever we do they will categorize it in some kind of material blessing. I am thinking of what could be the best possible way to address these issues. Would like to hear from you all.

(SeanO) #2

@Ashishraj What you said reminds me of Paul’s words in Philippians. I think we cannot control other people - we can only try to change the minds of those within our sphere of influence. So if you are a minister, you can at least Shepherd and guide your own flock. Beyond our sphere of influence, we can only pray that God will move in the hearts of others.

Philippians 1:15 -18 - It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

The Lord bless you with wisdom to spread the truth and grace of Jesus.

(Lakshmi Mehta) #3

@Ashishraj, thank you for your question. It’ s heartbreaking to see the rise of religious fanaticism and increased persecution of Christians especially in Northern India. What is happening in India obviously needs reform at the grassroots level in the churches of India at large. Every sincere Christian will need to be a part of that change through prayer and by being the best ambassador of Christ possible. Unfortunately, what many churches seem to be focused on is prosperity gospel and experience seeking due to the influence of televangelists. There is little knowledge of what true Christianity is about other than the idea of conversion to the hindu.

Your question reminded me of a book by Vishal Mangalwadi - “Missionary Conspiracy - Letters to a post-modern Hindu”. In it Vishal discusses several recommendations and strategies some of which include presenting the scope of the gospel as going beyond salvation to bringing God’s will on earth - in politics, education etc., changing the language of spiritual warfare when discussing other religions, being actively engaged with press by thoughtful response to accusations on Christians with the help of local Indian apologists, exposing hypocrisy and corruption in church leadership and producing historical documentaries about Christisn missionaries and their impact in India.

One inspiring quote by Vishal Mangalwadi which is the essence of the strategies he discusses is “While the hatred has to be countered by love, and force by suffering, the propaganda must be countered by a fearless presentation of the truth”.

Hope this information is helpful. It is indeed a difficult area of ministry and I pray for God’s protection and guidance in the gospel work you are doing.

(Ashish Money) #4

Thank you Lakshmi for your insight. I have added the book that you recommended to my list. Hope to get it and read soon.