Homosexuality

I’m from Pennsylvania and I absolutely love RZIM teaching ministry!

I have been listening to Ravi’s teaching for some time now and realized I could have the app to help me listen more often.

I have been studying Romans 1 and 2 recently to help me understand how I need to regard the homosexual community.

Romans 2:4 says “… God’s kindness leads you to repentance.” I have been thinking that I need to love the individual in this lifestyle yet hate the sin.

I have Christian friends who hate the person in this lifestyle choice and even believe the levitical law of putting them to death. This grieves me and I have been studying the word to continue to discover God’s heart in this matter.

Any thoughts?

2 Likes

Evening Legaleagle,

Glad you’re enjoying RZIM’s teaching and input into your life, and welcome.

It’s a very difficult topic and no doubt will be for the foreseeable future. My personal thoughts are we’re told not judge, and to be of the world but not conform to it.

If the person is a Christian I do believe we should ‘gentley’ challenge them but not condemn them. If they are not believers who are we to say “what your doing is wrong.”

There are numerous Bible verses which are clear on sexual relationships. Which if your talking to a believer you can discuss with them. We also need to remember being same sex attracted is not a sin, it’s the actions.

You need to question your friends “what’s their views on those who are ‘believers’ but choose to live in sin?”

1 Like

@Legaleagle this sure is the topic of the day. I love how Ravi responded when asked this question. He stated that if we live in a society where we are to respect each others’ worldviews, then in our worldview marriage is sacred and is between a man and a woman. I am paraphrasing his answer but I found a similar example of it here:

On a personal note how I like to connect to the questions of homosexuality is this. “There is no difference between a homosexual person and my brother, who is currently living with his girlfriend. Sin is sin and if you want to follow Jesus you have to take up your cross and follow him. We all have a price to pay to enter the kingdom, for some of us it is a bigger price than for others.”
4 Likes

Welcome Barb @Legaleagle! What great questions!

I found Romans 1:18-32 to be very helpful. To me, it describes the steps into depravity.
But notice where it begins -

• Romans 1:18-20 shows He loves us so much, He makes Himself known to all in His creation.
  • Romans 1:21a We are to respond by acknowledging Truth, Who He Is, with thanksgiving.
  • Romans 1:21b When we do not, our minds become futile, full of worthless thoughts, and our hearts darkened.
    Rom 1:21 KJV
    Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful;
    but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

When one sees that what we call sin is simply a visible symptom, while the root lies in our response to His revelation of Himself, we are all in the same place. We, as believers, are not immune from forgetting to give Him thanks for all things.
Eph 5:20 KJV Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
When we do not thank Him, we also can put ourselves in a place where our thoughts become futile and our hearts also become hardened in that area. This is the condition of all mankind. It is only the specific symptom (sin) that differs.

In fact, if this is indeed a description of a descent into depravity, notice that homosexuality is listed in Romans 1:24, while some other more ‘acceptable’ sins are listed further down. If I am understanding this correctly, it may give hope to some with homosexuals in their circle of influence.

This is not to say that some sins are worse than others. To me it indicates that there may be a growth or maturity in those denying Him, just as there is a maturity as we follow Him, as implied in 2 Peter 1:5-9, which closes with the words:
8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make [you that ye shall] neither [be] barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

These may provide keys to loving confront believers who hate the person rather than the sin.

May He grant you wisdom, Barb, as you continue to seek His will for you in this.

1 Like