How are Christians born of the Spirit in new birth?

Hi,

1. Knowing that we are all made in the image of God, with a body, soul and spirit, how does a new birth affect our human spirit?

2. When we are saved, we receive the Holy Spirit from God. Do we have two spirits within us, or that our human spirit is being transformed by the Holy Spirit?

3. If our spirit has been transformed by the Holy Spirit, is it 100% transformed or partially?

4. Can I assume that our spirit is only partially transformed, when we accept Christ, and we need to go through sanctification to make the transformation complete?

5. Can I assume that the initial transformation is initiated by God solely, but the subsequent transformation is subject to our cooperation in allowing the Holy Spirit to do its work? that is, not to grieve the Spirit?

4 Likes

@henry_auw Great questions :slight_smile: Regarding (1) and (2), Romans 8 makes it clear that God’s Spirit and our spirit are separate entities even after salvation. And as far as I can tell from Scripture, God dwells within our bodies, but we are getting into areas that, in my opinion, are beyond the bounds of human knowledge. We don’t have any way to measure a spirit or study it.

Romans 8:16 - The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.

1 Cor 6:19 - Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?

Regarding (3) and (4), you need to be careful about artificially separating body and spirit. In the Bible, we renew our minds, which could refer to the combination of our spirit and physical mind. Again, a bit beyond human knowledge. Sanctification is about the whole person—not just the spirit. And we are not 100% sanctified until we see Christ and become as He is (1 John 3:2). As my Grandpa always says, in Christ we are saved from sins penalty and its power, but only beyond death will we be set free from its presence.

Regarding (5), it depends on whether you believe humans have free will to choose God or if God must choose them first. You could have a more nuanced view and say that God touches all people and then we must either respond / not respond.

A few more threads to peruse.

2 Likes

Thanks Sean!

1 Like

@henry_auw Sure thing :slight_smile: The Lord bless you as yo study.