How can disciples grow as evangelists? What should we prioritize?

evangelism-challenge
jordanthyer
prioritize

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Hi Jordan,

We are involved with RZIM because we share a passion for evangelism. How can disciples grow as evangelists? What should we prioritize?

gratefully,
Carson

(Jordan Thyer) #2

G’day Carson!

I would say the thing that has helped me grow is by seeking out godly mentors that I look upto and learning all I can from them. I was just skyping with my pastor from Oxford (I lived there for a year in 2012/13) and having an older brother/sister encourage you and let you know what to look out for/be careful of personally is essential. I have learnt so much from watching/copying my brothers and sisters in Christ. So that would be my first encouragement is to seek out a godly community where you can be a part of being on mission together with your Christian family. Not only will you learn from the people around you but you’ll be edified, equipped and challenged. Ephesians 4:11-12 is clear that God has given the Church apostle & prophets (as the foundation Eph 2:20) pastors, teachers and evangelists to equip the saints for the work of ministry. So we need to grab a hold of the resources God has made available for us to be built up for ministry.

Furthermore, people will classically appeal to 2 Tim 3:16 to suggest that is what we use scripture for. But if we read 2 Tim 3:17 it makes it clear that this is what scripture is meant to do in us and on us. 2 Tim 4:1-2 is about what scripture will do through us. But we can’t jump to what scripture does through us before we submit to its work on us. So it is essential that we prioritize submitting ourselves to God’s word doing it’s work on us, while we endeavor for it to work through us. Romans 12:1-2 would again argue that we need to be transformed by the renewing of our mind so that we can know God’s will and not be conformed to the world around us. Good points can really, really help with this also. I just read Nabeel’s ‘seeking Allah, finding Jesus’ and it really inspired me to love my Muslim friends and understand a little about how hard it must be for them leaving their Muslim community when they embrace Christ.

Lastly I would say that majority of the time we will get better and grow in our evangelism by continually giving it a go! The more time I spend in conversation with non-Christians asking questions, listening, thinking and responding, the sharper I become. The danger of being part of such a good Christian community is that you can spend less and less quality time with non-Christians. So I’ve had to make a deliberate effort to make time for non-Christian friends so that I can keep loving them.

There is lots more to say but I should probably leave it there for now!

In Christ,

(Kay Kalra) #3