How Can I Discover God's Will and Purpose for My Life?

Hi Michelle and thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.
I have been saved for almost a year now and in the areas where I most definitely know that I have been saved is, that I have been sober now for the same time and also quit smoking and I am alot more disciplined in small areas then before, like reading waking up earlier and exercising. But the are im really still strugling with it the area of still finding and discovering God’s will and purpose for my life,and distinguish between my voice or maybe God voice. Been a long time strugle for me finding my place and now that I’m not concerned about my place in a world view perspective but in a Christian perspective I haven’t quite find it yet. So how can i and even people who maybe struggle to find there place in God can do that better.
Thanks for your time

Hello Francois,

What a wonderful testimony of finding confidence in your salvation and in your worldview. It sounds like you have journeyed well and it is great that you are still asking questions. The christian faith is all about relationship with the eternal God, He is matchless in everyday, so there will always be more for us to dig into as we grow in our faith.

The idea of finding out God’s will and purpose for our lives, is something that many people wonder about. Sometimes it can even cause worry or struggle, as you have said. I think that might be because when we ask these questions there might be a sense of anxiety about missing God’s will or wasting our time on worthless things. However, in our team chapel this week I was reminded of Psalm 90:12 that says So teach us to number our days, that we may get a heart of wisdom. Sometimes we can “miss the forest for the trees” when we look at verses like this or hear phrases about the plan or destiny that God has for our lives. God does want us to make the most of our time here on earth, and He has good plans for us, but that doesn’t mean that we have to figure out exactly what he wants us to do or worry about planning every day in order to fulfill his purpose. Instead, we are called to place our lives in his hands every moment of every day in surrender. In doing this, we are fulfilling the chief end and purpose of man “to glorify God and enjoy him forever” as it says in the Westminster Confession. As we do this continually, for some a specific calling may come to light, and for others Christ is formed in us daily and we become more like him and we grow more confident in our relationship with Him. As this happens we learn how recognize and recall His words, distinguishing His voice and promises from our own voices and from the lies or counterfeit messages that come from other sources. The more time we spend with someone, the more we grow to be like them and more accustomed we become to their voice and their ways.

Be encouraged brother, the fact that you are hungry to do the will of the Father and to hear his voice clearly means that you are already moving in the right direction. As the famous verse in Proverbs reminds us Trust in the Lord with all of your heart, do not lean on your own understanding. In all of your ways, acknowledge him ,and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Keep walking with Him,

Michelle

1 Like