"How Can I Know My Gender?": Self-Study Material

(RZIM Premium Content) #1

Hi friends!

In order to help you make the most of this #TrendingQuestions event, we are offering some additional self-study material to give you the opportunity to engage more deeply with the content before, during, and after the event.

Listed below are additional resources, book recommendations, and questions for you to reflect on (both prior to and during the event) as you seek to better understand transgenderism and gender dysphoria. Our hope is that some of the resources we have highlighted will help provide context for how this conversation is progressing outside of the Church, and that the rest will help equip you to understand and engage in the conversation with grace, love, and truth.

This material is entirely optional, but we do hope that you find it useful as you seek to understand transgenderism and gender dysphoria more deeply, in order to love your neighbors well.

Grace and Peace,

The ZI Team

How Can I Know My Gender?: Self-Study Material

Part A: Resources to Engage with Prior to the Event

Topic Primers
For a brief introduction to the topic, see:

• “Understanding the Transgender Phenomenon” by Mark Yarhouse (Christianity Today, 2015)
    Yarhouse gives an overview of his book Understanding Gender Dysphoria, referenced in the “Further Resources” category at the end of this guide.

• Transgender (Amazon Link)- by Vaughan Roberts (The Good Book Company, 2016)
    An accessible introduction, providing helpful definitions and some thoughtful introductory responses in a profoundly pastoral tone.

Personal Narratives
For an introduction to the way Transgenderism/Gender Dysphoria feels and affects individuals, see:

Secular Voices
For a look at some of the ways the conversation is playing out in society at large, through the lens of mainstream publications, see:

Sam Allberry Preview

Part B: Pre-event Reflection Questions

• What are my ‘gut-level’ reactions to the topic of transgenderism? To self-identified transgender people? Where do these reactions stem from ( e.g. nature, church, media, personal experience, etc.)?

• Have I ever had an experience that made me feel like I was not meeting the expectations of my culture for what it means to be a man/woman? What was true about my feelings in that moment? What was not true?

• Read Matthew 9. To whom does Christ show compassion? To whom is compassion refused?

• What are some potential implications of transgenderism/gender dysphoria debates for society? For the church? For families? For me?

• Where in my life is there a tension between what God says is true of me, and what I feel is true of myself?

Part C: Event Reflection Questions

• Where are we as a society on this question? What does psychology and biology have to do with it?

• What is ‘dysphoria’? How does it differ from sexual orientation?

• What does the Bible say about:

1. Gender

2. Bodies

3. Perception

• How can I respond with grace and truth, both to those who are experiencing dysphoria and to those with whom I disagree?

• Has my thinking changed at all on this topic? Solidified in any way?

• What could I still use further clarification on? (Q&A session)

Resources For Further Examination

(Carson Weitnauer) pinned #2