How can I present the gospel to my colleagues?

How can I present the gospel to my colleagues without hurting them or being termed a religious kind of person?

1 Like

Hello @Dan1 What a great question. I will attempt to answer it by its parts.

The presentation of the gospel starts with our personal preparation in prayer. Seeking the guidance of the Holy Spirit to know what to do and say. His timing is imperative. I once heard Nabeel Qureshi repeat a quote: "We should talk to God about the people first, so we can then talk to the people about God. After seeking Him, He will lead us to know what to say and how to say it and give us wisdom regarding His timing. The older I get, the more apparent it becomes that we really can’t do anything apart from Him. It’s the Holy Spirit that opens eyes and ears and soften hearts.

It is important to not be offensive in our presentation. We start by making sure all our accounts (confessed sins) are up-to-date with God and others and then ask Him to guide our words, body language, eye contact, tone of voice and our demeanor. The presentation is much more than just words. The listener is also observing how well we line up with our message.

If you have ever seen any videos of Ravi interacting with an angry questioner, you will see that he never lost his composure, not verbally or physically. He defended the Gospel without being offensive in his words or body language. He responded like Jesus with genuine love and respect. What invariably came next was a sight for sore eyes and hearts. The questioner was disarmed by the grace displayed. Once the armaments were dismantled, the invitation was extended. He had effectively turned ideological swords and verbal spears into plowshares and pruning hooks. The questioner was ready to listen.

The other side to this is that when you present the gospel it will hurt them. God intends for it to. The purpose of the gospel is to expose the very sin that will end up taking their life if He doesn’t reveal the terminal condition.

“A stone that causes people to stumble and a rock that makes them fall.” (1 Peter 2.8)

“For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” (1 Corinthians 1.18)

The gospel is offensive, but we don’t have to be.

What will happen to you if you are accused of being a religious kind of person? Sharing our faith is not safe. It opens us up to the risk of ridicule, jokes, laughter, rejection and hatred. It also opens up the possibility of watching someone come to faith, seeing the look of freedom on a person’s face when Christ has just moved in, and being there when they take their first step. The step from darkness into light.

The real question is: Which one of those is more important?

May the Lord equip you and guide you on your journey,
Mary Beth

6 Likes

Thank you so much
I am very grateful for this.

Sometimes it feels like I’m losing it, but thank you for this.

1 Like

Hello @Dan1 I am sorry if you are discouraged or disheartened. I want to commend you for caring enough to be concerned about the eternal and even temporal welfare of your colleagues. They are blessed to have your friendship whether they acknowledge that fact or not. Your post makes it evident that God’s heart is alive in your heart, too.

There are seasons in our life as a Christian that feel like nothing but failure, hardship, fruitlessness, despair, and - you can fill in the blank. Because this work is divine work, there is also a spiritual battle that comes with it, in many forms and on many fronts. My mother used to tell me, “The closer you are to the Captain, the more shots will be fired at you.”

As you have entered the fray, take heart when you see and feel the fiery darts. Your Captain is close at hand.

Grace and peace to you,
Mary Beth

1 Like

HI Dan,

I am blessed with your heart for seeking the lost. Let me share to you my experience. Before sharing the gospel, May I suggest you have to PRAY first to the Lord of the Harvest about the person you want to hear the gospel. Then CARE for the person and finally SHARE your testimony and the Gospel.

Should you want to learn the skills of Evangelism. I am more than willing to share my knowledge to you.

Keep your zeal burning !

Elsie

Hi @Dan1 and that is great that God has given you the desire to want to witness to your work colleagues. Thank you for your question :slightly_smiling_face:. As @MaryBeth1 and @elsie.elio have already said, prayer is a really important place to start. There are many ways in which you can witness to people of your faith, and many times the best time this happens is when God opens a door through His grace into the conversation so that the message is able to be received.

Colossians 4:2-6: Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison— that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak. Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

Something else we often struggle with is by thinking that we need to evangelize the gospel like we see other people doing it. In my experience, God uses people as they are, with their willing hearts to serve Him, and within the personalities that they have. It can be really hard to learn to rest in God’s provision and council to be able to open doors when He knows that it is the right time. This is not saying that we should be passive Christian’s who don’t do anything until we hear the literal voice of God, but that we acknowledge first that we need God in everything we do and that we desire His will to be fulfilled through us. When the opportunities come, you may still be hated for your testimony, but you can have the peace knowing that God is with you and that He works all things for good for those who love Him and are obedient to His call.

Do you know whether your work colleagues follow different religions? Sometimes asking them questions about their beliefs can also start them asking questions about yours.

Blessings :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like