How can one sell a birthright?

(Deepak Kumar) #1

How can one sell birthright? Esau sold his birthright to Jacob.
And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright. And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me? And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob.
Genesis 25:31‭-‬33 KJV.

(Andrew Bulin) #2

Birthright was very important, and even though the term “birthright” makes it sound as though it is the right by his birth, the very fact that Esau would simply toss this away for some stew shows how little he cared for it. The narrator clarifies Esau’s heart:

Genesis 25:34 NASB
[34] Then Jacob gave Esau bread and lentil stew; and he ate and drank, and rose and went on his way. Thus Esau despised his birthright.

Esau had contempt for the potential blessing of being the firstborn son. This also continues to pattern of the bitter rivalry that started from birth, and carried into the relations between the descents of Edom and Israel.

How do you think we can relate to this in modern terms? Perhaps we all do not have significant material “birthrights” per se, but perhaps there is a way that we can show contempt for our family blessings, trading them for petty, selfish desires rather than showing appreciation for what we have been given?

(Deepak Kumar) #3

That was good analysis, thanks for the thoughts.

(Andrew Bulin) #4

Thanks for bringing a great question! :slight_smile: