How can we be salt and light?

(Andrea Sutton) #1

Hi everyone - I love this opportunity RZIM has given us. It seems that in this place, we might all build courage together, to speak back to a very dim, coarse world. I want to learn from you how to be Salt and Light.

Max Lucado’s amazing book, “On Calvary’s Hill”, puts a strong spotlight on our calling as Christians. Lucado says this, “…the ONE who hung there galaxies gave it up to hang doorjambs to the displeasure of a cranky client … resisted to urge to fry the two-bit, self-appointed hall monitors of holiness who dare suggest HE was doing the work of the devil … kept his cool while the dozen best friends he ever had felt the heat and got out of the kitchen …”

How might we, as the Body of this GOD on earth, speak back to this dim coarse place in a way that honors HIS massive gift to us?

How might we take leaps forward, and impact this confusion and irrationality around “subjective truths”?

I long to hear your thoughts so I can be better at this.

Thanks, y’all.

Andrea

(SeanO) #2

@Andrea Officially welcome! Wow, what a challenging thought - for us to live out the love and grace that Jesus has shown us. For me, I seek to remember the Gospel - the amazing love of Jesus for one as unworthy as I - and to allow that truth to transform the way that I see and relate to others. Christ be with you.

(Andrea Sutton) #3

Hey, thanks, SeanO for your comments.

Sometimes I think we are so invisible in the world? We are called to be “in it” but not “of it”.

I think many people “see” us as “religion” or “church” – but when a madman blows away a mosque, we seem too quiet.

What do you think about that? How do you handle that?

(SeanO) #4

@Andrea Great question. Personally, I think that God has given us each a sphere of influence and that the way we address evil in the world is by seeking to act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with God in that sphere of influence. We speak up for those without a voice and help those who are in need in where God has planted us. We can’t be Christ everywhere, but we can bloom where we are planted and be salt and light to those in need. In my experience the Church is doing so much more than I could ever imagine - I just let a missionary from Wycliffe at Bible Study last night who gave her whole entire life to help one tribe have the Bible in their language and now is retranslating it for the younger folks who’ve updated their vernacular. Wow! Jesus is doing some great things through His Church even when we are not aware.

So let us pray for these folks who are suffering - that they would sense God’s love and know that the tears of the saints poured out in prayer are with them. That they might know the hope and love of Jesus in this situation and forevermore.

Love this song by Leeland.

(Andrea Sutton) #5

I totally respect that position. And appreciate the sharing!

I think we have to stand up for the dignity of humans, because HE made them so valuable.

Daniel refused to bow to the Golden Idol — and it must have been amazing to see that

15 year old kid just standing there - not defiant, but obedient to his GOD.

It was so visible.

(SeanO) #6

@Andrea In what ways do you feel that the Church should be more visible in the public sphere? I would be curious to hear more of your thoughts.

One thing about Daniel is that he was not actually trying to be visible - he just happened to be very visible because everyone else was doing the opposite.

(Tabitha Gallman) #7

This is a good topic @Andrea. I struggle with this, so I can’t say that I have much to add, but would love to hear the responses.

(Stephen Wuest) #8

I prefer not to separate being salt and light, from living out righteousness.

In Ephesians, Paul talks about being renewed in the spirit of your mind, so that you may know what the will of God is. Paul says that we are God’s creation, in Christ, for good works. And that God prepared these righteous actions for us to live out beforehand. (Ephesians 2.10)

What God needs is an entire people who lives out righteousness.

(Andrea Sutton) #9

Love hearing from all of you.

The thing that really struck me the other day after the NZ massacre, was condolence for the loss, but no “answer” - because we have the answer. I struggled with how to share that answer, actually. In the halls of Corporate America, I hear, “Isn’t that terrible” — and I walk around with this profound story of Christ’s Reality inside my head, and long to find a way to represent this.

THe world is hungry for what we know.

He called us to be “salt and light” in a dying world.

How did you all answer that horrific news story in the hallways of your workplace?

(Andrea Sutton) #10

Hey @seanO - just caught up to this. Daniel really inspires me. He was a great example of being in the world, but not of it. Here’s this 15 year old Jewish kid, taken by force to Babylon after the plundering of Judah - his tiny town. He is thrust into the university there - full of Back Arts and false gods - but is determined to not stray from his faith in the Almighty God of Israel.

When he is asked to bow down to a golden idol - he stands. He does not bow. He doesn’t hide. He stands without protest - but he stands.

I’m amazed at that. The faithfulness he shows under the threat of death is phenomenal-

Imagine if we all did things like that?

That’s what I mean. He refused to bend. I think I bend. And I don’t want to. I want to answer with more love - and worry about the heart of the other person who might not know the God we serve.

So I want to hear from others of you who do this better than I do.

(Kathleen) #11

Hi, @Andrea! I can really ‘hear’ you wrestling with these things, and how they are things that are well worth the wrestle! :slight_smile: I just had a couple of clarifying questions first…

What is it that we know? And how do you know they are really hungry for it?

To what question?

In what way?

Daniel found himself in a particular circumstance where he was told to literally worship to a non-God. He graciously refused, yet he didn’t withdraw from or treat the people around him with contempt. He still engaged.

I’m just thinking about salt and light, and how they can’t help but affect the things that they touch.They leave sensory impressions on us.

• Salt on our taste buds.
  • Fire light (and the heat it produces) on the touch receptors in our skin and body temperature.
  • UV light on our skin colouring.

Likewise, how do we make these sorts of impressions on others…without burning them or over/underwhelming their taste buds? What does firm, gracious resolve look like in the different situations you face?

These last questions are more rhetorical. I just thought they’d be good ones to keep in mind as you survey your situation. :slight_smile:

(Curran Harms) #12

I think when we here the term to be “salt and light to the world”, we as Christians think big and outside the box, like we want to change the world. I know I do. While working full time and supporting my wife and two beautiful daughters, I always say “I can be the salt and light in another country and help if I ever get the chance and time, and my kids are older, and my wife doesn’t need me home for that period of time” But in reality God gave me my world in my home. My world is when I wake up next to my wife and kids and go to work. God wants me to be the salt and light to them and not wait for some “big” opportunity to go somewhere else. He wants me with my family and to start there. He trusts me with them and so everyday I wake up I start with them.

And to be the salt and light of the world, I learned the very simple yet demanding answer. Jesus said LOVE others and this is how they will know you are my disciples. That is it, to LOVE others. LOVE is not a noun but a verb. In anything you do, do it out of love for Christ.

Love my family for Christ, love my friends and enemies for Christ. To be the salt and light of the world is not a certain task or thing you have to do. Its more like writing God a blank check with your life and saying every morning “God the answer from me is YES, but now what is the question.”