How can we gently express to someone the need to attend church every weekend?

Hello Sir ! I stay with my friend who is a single mom and i actually happen to get to know her through church. She believes in Jesus but i see some really unbiblical teachings ingrained in her. Recently, we had an argument about going to church every saturday ( since its Nepal) and she believes its not necessary to go to church every weekend and i tried to explain to her about it but she would resist me saying that she is not a kid.
I was sharing with my pastor about the incident and how bad i felt and even condemned for having misrepresented the father, God but he said there were others from the church who had actually confronted her in very gentle and loving way but she would always decline.
Can you please elaborate those that i have quoted in more practical ways ? I dont expect anything from her and neither do I say i am more righteous but its just that I have this desire in my heart for her that she may be truly fallen in love with Jesus and can see the pleasures of this world to be so unsatisfying and unfilling.

1 Like

Hello @chandrakishore ! Thanks for sharing that. I think the desire in your heart is a correct one! When we know Jesus and the gospel, we want other people to know Him too, and to find life in Him.
I am afraid sometimes that can also bring sadness and sorrow when we can see people rejecting him.
I am not a pastor but I can only imagine how hard must it be for pastors to see people walking away from faith or not really letting their lives flourish under Jesus.

Sometimes, it is good to ask ourselves if we are showing the “gentleness and respect” that Peter speaks about. And yet, some other times, the problem is that the other person doesn’t want to listen or hear.
As much as our hearts may sometimes want to, we can’t force people to get what a relationship with God looks like. Our job as witnesses is to share our story, to preach the Gospel, and to pray that God through His Spirit may work in the heart of the person.

I believe that - unless it’s causing you a distress too big to handle or endure – we can continue walking with people, even if they’ve rejected us once, pointing to Jesus, and inviting them to live a life for him.

Keep praying my friend, keep spreading the good word, and, if possible, keep the relationship open. Sometimes a person isn’t open to hear at one point, but he or she may be open in the future.

I pray that God may give you the wisdom to know what to say and when, and that he provides the opportunity, with this friend you mention, and also with many others.

I leave you a few verses from the letter to the Colossians (Col. 4:2-6):

2 Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. 3 At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison— 4 that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak.
5 Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. 6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

5 Likes