How can we say other religions aren't true?

(Theja Tseikha) #1

How do we respond to the question ," Well you haven’t researched all the other religions. You have only tried Christianity and though you may find it personally true how can you say that Christianity alone is true and thus impose upon others the same?"
Thanks. :slight_smile:

(Helen Tan) #2

Hi Theja

Here’s a video of how Ravi Zacharias and John Njoroge responded to a question very similar to what you are asking to start things off:

(Carson Weitnauer) #3

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Is atheism the natural result of education without indoctrination?

(Theja Tseikha) #4

Wow!!! That link really explains a lot of things. Thanks @Helen_Tan.
And thanks @SeanO for shedding light into the quote. Didn’t realize that.
By the way a question from that video…How or from where did the Test of Origin- Meaning- Morality-Destiny develop? And how can we say that it is a proof of the ‘true-ness’ or 'false-ness 'of the worldview under consideration?

(Omar Rushlive Lozada Arellano) #5

Hi @Theja.

Origin, Meaning, Morality, and Destiny are four categories of worldview. These are categories which can help you understand a particular worldview of a person. Like for example, in terms of Origin, we can ask a person where we came from? Based on how they answer, we will see and understand their worldview more accurately.

The “true-ness” or “false-ness” of a particular worldview, which you understood on the four categories could be tested based on three tests. The first is logical consistency. This simply means if what was said is rational, or if it makes sense. You could relate this to the coherence theory of truth, because we could say that something is rational if they cohere in a narrative. The second test is empirical adequacy. This simply means that whatever is being said could be validated or verified. We could relate this to the correspondence theory of truth, because in this theory, if something is indeed the state of affairs, then what was said corresponds to reality. The third test experiential or existential relevance. Does this worldview meet me on what I’m going through in life? The worldview should pass on these tests. :slight_smile:

(SeanO) #6

@Theja I am not sure if that idea - origin, meaning, morality and destiny - originated with Ravi or elsewhere. But whenever we are evaluating worldviews - we have to assess which one most closely matches reality as we experience it and answers the deepest questions of our hearts.

Where did we come from? Why are we here? How do we know right from wrong? Where do we go when we die? These are fundamental questions to which we seek answers and we should seek a worldview that - as a whole - best addresses these questions while also corresponding to reality as we know it.

Here is another video from William Lane Craig that makes some good points.

One thing to point out is that Christianity is - at its heart - a relational religion. God is spirit and knowledge of Him is spiritually discerned (I Corinthians 2:14).

In John 8:19 Jesus says, “If you knew Me, you would know my Father as well.” And John 17:3 says, “This is eternal life, to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.”

How can we know Christianity is true? Because we can having a relationship where God’s Spirit testifies with our spirit to the truth. In that sense, it is not necessary to evaluate all religions rationally in order to know Christ is the way, the truth and the life, though I do believe evaluating them rationally will also ultimately lead to Christ if the heart is open to Him.

(Helen Tan) #7

Hi Theja

Here are 2 links to more information on what Ravi talks about with regard to the four components - origin, meaning, morality and destiny - in the formation of a coherent worldview.

http://www1.cbn.com/churchandministry/what-makes-the-christian-message-unique