How can you feel the Lord's calling?

One question I hope you can help me with. Ok a million but ill start with one. Everyone including Ravi said you will feel when God is calling you to follow him. You will definitely know it. I want to follow him but feel like I back track or not stay on his path.My question is how do you know? Can it be that you can miss his calling? Or not? I sometimes feel like I don’t think I’m worthy. I have heard that the Lord has chosen his people and that I’m not one of them. Can this be? Thank you.

4 Likes

Excellent questions, @UlisesRivera!

It is true that the Lord has chosen His people, but I can guarantee that He has definitely chosen you! I Timothy 2:4 says that the Lord will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. II Peter 3:9 says that He is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

So regarding salvation, the real question isn’t whether the Lord has chosen you, but whether you have chosen Him back!

The Groom chooses the Bride when He asks, “Will you…” The relationship then only hinges on whether she’ll answer, “I do!”

As for whether any of us are worthy of Him, either for salvation or service, the answer is always “No!” Even the greatest among us are saved by His grace and we serve by his grace - I Corinthians 15:10.

The moment you were saved, God’s Holy Spirit entered in you, and He gives you a passion to serve God and others on whatever level you’re now ready for. The questions you have posted reveal this very passion inside of you. A careless man would not have asked them.

And the fact that you sometimes fail to stay on track does not change His will for your life. It just means that, while you’ve got the nature of God on the inside, you’ve still got the nature of Adam on the outside, in your flesh. You’ve got the soul of a saint inside the body of a sinner, and that’s the same lifelong struggle for spiritual growth that we all have - Galatians 5:17.

As for finding the calling for service that God has for every member in His body, I would say just begin serving in whatever opportunities the Lord opens to you. Seek and ye shall find. If you have a servant’s heart, you will inevitably find your gifts and calling.

You may volunteer for something and come to realize pretty quickly that this isn’t really what you’re suited for. No problem - volunteer for something else - and if you keep doing that, you’ll find the glove your hand fits in sooner or later!

I hope this will help you!

11 Likes

Thank you very much @jlyons

1 Like

@UlisesRivera, I sympathize with your questions, as I too have asked these same things. First of all, how do we know we are called? The scriptures say that God calls all people to repent:

“This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭2:3-4‬ ‭ESV‬‬

The desire you express to be a child of God shows that you have heard the call. No one on is worthy of salvation, for we are all sinners, but it is God who makes us worthy:

“To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power, so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.”
‭‭2 Thessalonians‬ ‭1:11-12‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Our righteousness is not a result or working to attain it, but is a result of faith:
“What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith; but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousness did not succeed in reaching that law. Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone,”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭9:30-32‬ ‭ESV‬‬

How is it attained by faith? We have but to believe that the righteousness of Christ is imputed to us:

“That is why his faith was “counted to him as righteousness.”
but for ours also. It will be counted to us who believe in him who raised from the dead Jesus our Lord, who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭4:22, 24-25‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Paul teaches that all have sinned but receive justification as a gift who receive it in faith:
“But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God’s righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:21-25‬ ‭ESV‬‬

It will be difficult sometimes to stay on track. But we have the Holy Spirit to help us. Paul speaks of being made strong though he felt with weakness:

“So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭12:7-10‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Ulises, God certainly does want you! He loves you and would have you call Him your Father. I pray He helps you to find the answers that you seek.

1 Like

Thank you @gchop. I appreciate your words of wisdom as I look to move with God.

1 Like