How do accept that God has made me new and that i am a new creation ? How do i accept the gift of Gods Grace and forgiveness?

How do accept that God has made me new and that i am a new creation ? How do i accept the gift of Gods Grace and forgiveness?

4 Likes

@jeremiahschuler can you help me to understand your question before I respond?
Do you mean:

1. How can we accept such an amazing gift? or
  2. It is difficult to believe it is true/real?
5 Likes

I intellectually understand the grace of Christ. I theologically understands it’s purpose and can see Gods grace in my life, but sometimes it’s very difficult to separate my sinful past and nature and internalize Gods grace. Its hard for me to accept that God has grace for me. This most likely stems from an improper view of God and his nature but I started thinking about Gods grace in a different way when i made a comment that a particular person really believes in a very gracious God. Making the distinction that I don’t believe in God having the same level of grace for me. This made me step back and think about how I am internalizing Gods grace.

1 Like

@jeremiahschuler thank you for clarifying your question. I believe that your question is common to most believers and is something I myself wrestled with.
The fact, as you know in your head, is that Jesus has the same measure of grace for you as he does for me, Paul, Peter or any other of our fellow saints. Getting this fact to take ‘‘the longest journey’’ is what needs to happen. The journey from your head to your heart. :wink:
Grace is a gift and allow me to share with you the most important theological document written this century, The Jesus Storybook Bible :smile:
I love the lesson it teaches on gifts and ‘‘gift experts’’.
https://books.google.com/books?id=ntTvAwAAQBAJ&pg=PT13&lpg=PT13&dq=little+children+being+gift+experts+jesus&source=bl&ots=6E8SpdRhyt&sig=ACfU3U0GG4jpJWGMbFG8erR-ccDV-jnvEg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi3uaTsuNjjAhULw1QKHaGuDB4Q6AEwA3oECAQQAQ#v=onepage&q=little%20children%20being%20gift%20experts%20jesus&f=false
He definately has the same grace for you. It says in 2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! You and I are ‘‘anyone’’.
There have been some other posts on the topic of grace. Here are links to them for futher reading:
https://connect.rzim.org/t/resting-in-gods-grace-while-pursuing-holiness-how/1975https://connect.rzim.org/t/resting-in-gods-grace-while-pursuing-holiness-how/1975
I will pray for you brother.

1 Like

I think a key part is meditating/thinking deeply on the truth of scripture until is it internalized. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NKJV)

21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. 2 Corinthians 5:21 (NKJV)

1 Like

How dreadful was your sin (and mine)?

It was so dreadful that God’s own Son had to die to save you from it.

How loved and valued are you (and I)?

You are so loved and valued that God’s own Son died to bring you back into right relationship with God. Because He died, you don’t have to.

How much esteem in God’s eyes does that give you? We are ALL the prodigal son. Even after all the joy and goodness the father exhibited to his younger son, I’m sure the younger son felt grateful but very unworthy. That’s a pretty accurate picture for all of us. Frankly, we are unworthy. But our unworthiness does not inhibit God’s love for us and His desire to be in a deep relationship with us.

I’m copying here an excerpt from a curriculum on Hebrews written By Dr. Arden Autry, I think it will be helpful.

If God provides forgiveness/forgetting, who are we to remember sins or hold them against ourselves or against others who have repented? Note that God’s ‘forgetting’ is not a mental blank but a willing choice not to hold our sins against us. God does not literally forget why we needed salvation, and neither should we (2 Pet. 1:9). (That this is true is shown by the fact that forgiveness can be revoked! See Matt. 18:23-35.) Likewise, when we need to forgive someone, we need to ‘forget’ it in the sense of not holding it against them, not letting our relationship be determined by that which has now been forgiven. It does not mean that you no longer can have a memory of the thing forgiven. This biblical ‘forgetting’ is not erasing the memory but releasing the offender and the offense. It means that you let God’s grace be greater than the offense—in God’s forgiveness toward you and in your forgiveness toward another person. Grace and forgiveness shape the relationship, not past offenses. [In a similar way, the OT frequently speaks of God ‘remembering’ his covenant or promises. This does not mean that God had a sudden mental recall of something he had been forgetting. Rather it means that God has acted in accordance with his promise or covenant. On the other hand, when God ‘forgets’ our sins, he does not treat us according to them.]

This teaching was very important in my faith walk and understanding of forgiveness. Let God’s grace be greater than your offense. Let your relationship with God be shaped by grace and not your past. Discard any notions of self-esteem and live in the God-esteem placed on you and in you when you were adopted into the family of God. You bear his image. Because of Jesus and through the Holy Spirit you can increasingly conform to Christ’s image and God’s heart and will.

Let me propose that your challenge here is a blessing. Because of all the great things God will teach you as you process this truth from your head to your heart. And because of this challenge you will be a great witness to others and have true understanding and compassion with those who find it hard to leave the burden of their past sins behind. Whatever your struggles, ask God, “what is it you would have me learn in the midst of this?”

We’re all in His grip. Praise God. May the Lord of Lords reveal in you heart the inexhaustible depth of His love.

Note: Dr. Arden Autry was the Minister of Adult Learning at First United Methodist Church in Tulsa. Now retired.

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who responded

1 Like