How do I grow as a disciple of Jesus, and as an evangelist?

evangelism-challenge
mattmittelberg

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Matt, for everyone in Connect who wants to grow as a disciple of Jesus, and as an evangelist, what would you recommend in terms of practical next steps? What does it look like to study apologetics well as we grow in our faith?

What should parents share with their teenagers while they are still at home?
(Matthew Mittelberg) #2

This is a big topic! I’ll say that no matter where you are on your journey, there’s always more to learn. If you’re just getting started, there are a few classic books you should familiarize yourself with that will give you a good foundation to learn from. One is The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel, which shows the evidence for the resurrection. Another one I highly recommend is The Reason Why (Faith Makes Sense) by my father Mark Mittelberg, which gives a great explanation of the rational foundation of faith.

Another thing that will help a lot is learning by doing. Have conversations with your non-believing friends! Listen to them and learn what their real thoughts and concerns are. If you don’t know the answer, say so, and do some research to find it. There’s nothing that can motivate learning apologetics like the sincere desire to help a friend.

If you’ve already studied some of the introductory works and are ready to take it to the next level, perhaps formal training could be a good next step. The RZIM Academy offers online training which is fantastic, and there are several programs at leading Christian schools in apologetics.

(Kay Kalra) #3