How do I know I'm where God wants me to be?

(Christina lampidaki) #1

Hi everyone,

How do I discern that what is happening currently in my life is where the Lord wants me to be?

(Keldon Scott) #2

May God grant you confidence and peace. I heard a great sermon on this question once that has stayed with me. God’s will can be examined by 3 step analysis. 1. Is what I am contemplating biblical? If not, then it is not his will. If so, then: 2. Is what I am pursuing a passion or a call on my heart in some way. If so: 3. Are doors opening or are impediments being imposed? If there are roadblocks take notice, remain prayerful - always pay attention to the tension. May God be with you.

(SeanO) #3

@Lampidaki1980 I think the beautiful thing about Christianity is that it does not require us to understand our circumstances or know exactly what we are supposed to do. Instead, we trust Christ as our Shepherd and seek Him. We learn God’s Word and we seek His face. We do not need to get caught up in the ‘paralysis of analysis’ or fear that we do not know exactly what God wants us to do - God will provide and guide as we seek Him first.

My advice is: Do not worry about knowing exactly what God wants you to do - instead, focus on pursuing God’s Kingdom first and trust that He will provide and guide you as you seek Him.

Matthew 6:33 - But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Proverbs 3:5-6 - Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.

John 17:3 - Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Matthew 7:7-9 - “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

Making Wise Decisions

What follows are some things that have proven beneficial for me in seeking to make wise, Biblical decisions as I trust in the Lord to lead and guide.

General life advice that has helped me is:

• know your strengths and weaknesses - what you are good at and what you are not good at - have an honest self-assessment
  • ask for input from older, wiser mentors who have known you or even friends on what they feel your gifts are or where they see God working in your life
  • think about what tugs on your heart strings - what issues really make you want to get out there and do something - helping orphans, teaching the Word, prayer - this may be something that really motivates you
  • set specific goals - try to use your gifts in small ways and improve upon them - if your gift is teaching maybe teach under a more experienced person’s leadership for 1 year and then plan to teach on your own the next year (while still getting feedback) - that is a specific goal to help you grow and discern your calling
  • serve, serve, serve - we discern our calling as we actively seek to serve in the Body. We may find out we are not so good at some things - that is okay. It is a process to discover where we are really gifted. So take the time to serve and discover your gifts and then set goals for using and bettering those gifts.

Advice when making big decisions:

• pray persistently and wait long enough for God to alter circumstances - give it some prayer and time if possible
  • seek wise council from people who have clearly made wise decisions in this area in the past
  • be aligned with Scripture
  • when it comes time to make a decision, go for it - make the wisest decision you know how to

I really like this book on discerning God’s will - a pastor friend pointed it out to me and it was very refreshing. Best one I’ve personally read yet.

@matthew.western makes some great points in the following thread - ‘Just do something’ as long as it aligns with God’s will:

Is it is important that you must need a Mentor?
Term Insurance and the Bible
Self will vs Gods Will
(Tabitha Gallman) #4

I’m constantly thinking about this question (and I am 50 years old now), so I’m thankful someone else has asked this question. Our church as a whole is now on the 4th day of the Rick Warren book about the Purpose Driven Life - “What On Earth Am I Here For?” Our church did this study around 10 years or so ago, and I never completed the study because our family moved away temporarily from the town our home church is in. I can’t say much about it other than it comes highly recommended by a lot of my friends.

@Keldon_Scott - I wrote the 3 step analysis in the back of my PDL book and will share that with my small group when we meet this Friday. A very good analysis. Thanks for sharing. :grinning:

(Lakshmi Mehta) #5

@Lampidaki1980, just wanted to add one more thought to what @Keldon_Scott recommended as steps to knowing if we are in God’s will. Understanding impediments to God’s will need much prayer and discernment. We could be where God has placed us but may be facing impediments because we are not giving enough thought to our ways before the Lord in prayer ( Haggai 1:9). And sometimes we may be facing impediments in the form of people not receiving our efforts, but more due to their heart’s condition. Prophet Jeremiah’s message to turn from idolatrous lifestyle was rejected by the Israelites because of stubbornness. For example: The lack of growth in the size of a ministry or how people respond can appear sometimes as impediments but as long as we are right with the Lord and doing what we know to do where He has placed us, we can be assured we are where God wants us to be and can press on despite the impediments. In my own experience, God has allowed impediments to bring about greater dependency on Him though I was confused whether I was where God wanted me to be during the season of problems. May God reveal His will and give you peace about the decisions you may be making.

(Keldon Scott) #6

Thank you. Very good point.

(Renee Jeska) #7

Love your response, Lakshmismehta! Many times it’s just a season of seeking the Lord fervently, waiting and not giving up until the breakthrough comes and the impediments are removed.