How do I love Jesus and my Indian heritage?

Hi all,

Before I get into my question(s), I just wanted to introduce myself and share a bit of my story as I hope it helps you understand where this question has come from. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I was born in India but my family moved to the States when I was very young. I come from a hindu family where everyone still practices except my sister who doesn’t subscribe to any kind of spiritual belief. Growing up my parents did all they could to raise my sister and I Hindu and to keep us differentiated from American culture (didn’t work too well).

I grew up never feeling Indian enough for my family. On multiple occasions my relatives would say the only redeeming quality about me is that I “speak the language of our people”. When I became a Christian, I found much of my relational and community needs met by the family of Jesus and in turn I began to discard much of my Indian heritage, because at that time it only brought me disappointment, longing and hurt. I’ve been struggling for years in learning how to love Jesus and where I’ve come from as God’s brought me back to pick up the remnants of my heritage.

Much of my family values aren’t biblical, they shamed me for abandoning their wishes of pursuing medicine, protested my wedding to my wife Asha, (a lover of Jesus and an African American woman, BIG NO-NOs for them) but God used their love for me to show up last minute to our Christian ceremony where the gospel was displayed in everything we did. Our relationship has gotten better but I’m sure my commitments to Jesus will still feel like burning rejections to everything they hold valuable until they meet Jesus for themselves (please pray with me).

As I’ve listened to Ravi speak, i’m moved by how much Ravi loved Jesus but also lived like a proud Indian. It was both inspiring and humbling. Encouraging and revealing. It gave me hope that I could love Jesus and my heritage but also convicted me that I felt like a traitor to my heritage. I know my upbringing is a gift but I don’t know how to live like it is.

So finally my question(s) (thanks for staying this long. It truly does mean a lot), do you have any wisdom or insight for someone looking to love Jesus and the heritage that he’s turned his back on time and time again? How can I live proud of my Indian roots and fiercely planted in the Kingdom of God? What mistakes should I avoid making?

Looking forward from hearing from you

8 Likes

Nameet…
You might consider what your “true” heritage is? I would offer that you are spirit living a physical existence thus you are not Indian, nor are you American, nor are you married to an African American, but married to a kindred spirit whose temple is labeled ( by man) as a means of classifying people to institute societal prejudices. Do you believe God views your wife as your family or culture does? Have you considered that God may have a plan for bringing you and your wife together? Do you feel you may have married your wife in a rebellious nature against your culture? God could have a plan for you to lead others to Him by dispelling beliefs that marrying outside of the culture is taboo, but you should be encouraged to allow your spirit to be the authority in your life! Nameet… be free to learn your native tongue, clothe yourself with Indian styles, enjoy Indian food, yet define your life in Christ! Your spirit is who God sees you as not your flesh and blood! Encourage your spirit to take authority in your life and know God has a plan for you! I don’t consider God views you as Indian, but as the spirit He one day desires to return to Him! Suppose God is prompting your spirit to guide the rest of your family to Him? To do this… your spirit must take authority and possess the boldness to follow Christ and love your Wife without allowing mankind to deter or distract you from what God may be planning for you! Nameet…I have a saying…”My spirit is who I am… I am living this physical existence to prepare to return home to my Father”. Nameet… once we are home with Christ, it won’t be of consequence who you married on earth, or if you speak Hindu, or whether you enjoy curried chicken, Or whether you pleased your family, but did you live your life for Christ? God bless you and keep you always…

Claybourne

4 Likes

Hi Claybourne,

I appreciate your thoughtful response. Grateful for your words and desire to aid me on my journey. I agree to Christ being the lens by which we ought to view success, failure and righteousness. The whole of our being is found in Him.

However, I’m having difficulty landing at the same destination as you. Could you give reason to why God doesn’t see us within our culture? As I reflected on your response, I thought of God deciding to make a people for himself in which Christ would eventually come. As I read scripture I see God seeing and meeting people in their culture (the parables for example) but also inviting us into a new way of viewing culture altogether. After all, to see a painting means you’re simultaneously looking at the whole thing and also at the brushstrokes that contribute to it. With God being the master artist of our lives and existence, could it not be the case that our culture is one of those brushstrokes? After all, it is God who chose to birth us into our families and culture in the first place.

I’m curious to hear back from you.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Hi OmRam!

This encouragement is very meaningful and full of wisdom. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Do you also have Indian roots?

God be with you!

1 Like

Nameet…

If we could establish a working / conversational definition of “seeing us within our culture” we might have a foundation for continuing forward.

Nameet, to me culture refers to the arts, music, foods, religion, behaviors, beliefs, values, traditions, social institutions and collective intellectual achievements of a group of people. I tend to think culture is established or given root depending on where we live and the influences of our particular environment.

What I would offer primarily is that we are ultimately part of God’s “culture” the culture of a life in Christ. God created the Indian culture and I believe He appreciates each cultures expression of itself. The Indian culture was created by God, so when you indicate “seeing” you through your culture, could it not be opinionated that God already views you through your culture? The idea of having individual cultures is a manifestation of our lives on earth and I think God loves what He has created, however, I don’t know that the “elements” of our individual cultures are pathways to heaven or a life in Christ. God is not a respecter of persons, cultures, or nations, but of those who believe in and follow the life of Christ.

I think what God wants from us is for our cultures not to be expressions that are glorified or praised or honored or held in higher esteem than we hold God. “I am the Lord thy God… I shall not have strange Gods before me!”

Nameet, I am African American and I love gospel music which is, I believe, an expression of my culture, but I would never demonstrate such a love for gospel music or Afrocentric traditions, values, or beliefs that would I praise, adore, or honor above God. I believe God does appreciate our cultures, but everything we do should glorify God.

Agreed… each ‘brushstroke” contributes to the entire painting, however, each individual hair within a brushstroke is as well part of the painting or otherwise part of God’s plan. God would not have put the brushstroke or the individual brush hairs to the canvas as tools to paint the picture if He did not appreciate each stroke and each hair. A brushstroke or hair in a brush, however, as we do, does not possess the will or choice to honor things, objects, values or beliefs above God. I think this is where God takes issue.

Nameet… I’ve a question to ask you… Why do you desire God to view you through your Culture? What is it you seek or is being accomplished or brought to completion in your perception of God “seeing” you within your culture?

Nameet thank you for the opportunity to learn and grow through sharing in the life of Christ! My dad used to say “…if you can’t teach it… then you have not learned it.!” We will never completely understand God in our short time here, however, the journey is still made interesting and sharing our experiences lets us know we are not alone in a row boat alone with one oar!!! I appreciate your vulnerability and honesty and eagerness to grow. I’m learning in the exchange myself and when we hear ourselves speak and listen to what we are communicating we have a certain propensity to not want to let our fellow Christian down… I hope we continue this conversation!

God Bless And Keep You Always…

Claybourne

1 Like

Hi Claybourne,

Thank you again for another thought provoking and well written response. I’m thoroughly enjoying learning from you.

I agree, having a working definition has been very beneficial. I’m learning a lot more about where you’re coming from as you answer. I think I made an assumption that you meant “culture is irrelevant because God doesn’t see culture and culture becomes absolved when we’re found in Christ”. Now I see that’s not the case at all. Sorry about that.

I agree with everyone you’ve said, thank you for putting so palatable. The question you’ve posed actually makes me want to rephrase the initial topic of conversation. As i’ve reflected, my issue isn’t as much as “that I desire God to view me through my culture” but moreso “God, how can I love and honor you through my culture?”. Which, in many ways, is a much more immersive answer.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Hi Nameet @Nameet!

So glad to have you join this community! A warm welcome to you to Connect. I certainly relate with some of your experiences and your question. I was raised in a Hindu family in India, placed my faith in Christ as a teenager and now living in the United States. I think I share something in common with your family’s background as an Indian and with you as a Christian struggling to know how best to show love to a Hindu family. From what you have shared, it seems like you have a great family, with reasonable desires to see you well-established (which for many Indians means medicine or engineering :blush:) and to pass on the cherished family values. What’s at the root of passing down cultural values? Most of the time, it’s because it’s in that shared culture that our parents feel comfort, value or love. Its very difficult to change patterns of behavior as an adult when coming from a different culture and we need to keep in mind their unmet dreams or perhaps fears such as being able to establish a deep relationship with grandkids, the care they will receive in old age, shame they feel in the Indian community that exalts Hindu traditions.

I think the first step starts with us, just as you are doing asking this question! A good verse to keep in mind is -

1 Peter 2:12 NKJV having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation.

We need to prepare our heart through prayer. We cant forget that our role is of ministers of Christ even when we are with family. Not that we are unreal but being careful that we are pleasing the Lord. Because of differences in faith, I know our conversations with family can get tense, especially about faith, and that may distract us from wanting to stay in touch with them but we need to persevere in hope.

With Indian culture being so enmeshed with Hindu religion, we can have a temptation to just withdraw. I think we need to ask what are some deeper needs that our families have that go beyond the Hindu expression of culture. A few actionable steps - maintaining Indian values such as respect for the elderly, time with family, thinking about family needs and offering help, staying in touch frequently, teaching wife/future kids Indian language, asking and considering their advice on small decisions, visiting them, remembering birthdays/anniversaries and some old Bollywood movies perhaps! :slightly_smiling_face: I think when we are able to show that they matter in our lives, they slowly soften up to our decisions. As a practical tip, it may even be helpful to think of a few topics to talk about so that the conversations dont become uncomfortable and you are prepared to steer the conversation when needed. All this I know is easier said then done! A whole lot of daily prayer in the background and strong Christian friends is also vital to our testimony with the family. I have seen how prayer even changes my own heart to be able to respond well when differences arise with family.

In terms of mistakes, its important to keep small differences small, we need to pick our battles. Even when it comes to discussion of faith, always go back to what’s important, Christ and his love. We need to make sure they dont confuse Christianity with Western culture. We can point out some of the great things done by Christians from the west that Indians have benefited from in history. Sometimes individualism can come across as disrespect to an Indian in a family setting. Here it may be good to think about where we could reduce to allow family to feel accepted.

It’s a long journey! We sow little by little and wait patiently trusting in the Lord. It took my parents about 10 years to accept my faith. We have to let them grieve their unmet dreams and support them in every way possible as long as it doesn’t conflict with Christianity. Ultimately its about relationship! They will be willing to look past cultural differences as they feel your love for them. Its encouraging to hear that they attended your wedding because it’s not always the case. Our confidence is that the Holy Spirit lives in us! God bless you brother!

4 Likes

Nameet, your questions touch me. I would like to give you my perspective as an American Christian.

I believe that each one of us struggles with the same questions that you do. How do I honor my parents’ culture while worshipping the God of the Bible? How do I honor God through my culture? The answer to this is the answer to the question, how do I live as a citizen of Heaven in a corrupt culture? In America, many in my conservative Christian circles have entwined their Christianity in American exceptionalism. Their Christianity has developed a nationalistic fervor that increasingly associates American economic and military strength with the strength of the American Christian church. The American flag has become a sacred symbol. They throw God’s written word in the trash when it wears out; but throw the American flag in the trash and they call hellfire and brimstone on your head. Demand righteousness of their favorite candidate, and they cast a hail of figurative stones at you as if you were an adultress. Bring up past national sins that continue to manifest themselves in other forms, and you are a traitor. Ask them to support their political views with Biblical principles, and they ignore your question or dismiss it with tepid platitudes or abuse you. I used to be one of these people, so I know that what I say is true. I learned a hard lesson in recent years.

This happens when Christians fail to acknowledge that Heavenly culture is much higher than the culture of our Earthly heritage. God calls us to submit to governmental authorities (Romans 13:1-7, cf. Titus 3:1; 1 Peter 2:13), which in America is ultimately the U. S. Constitution and state constitutions that delegate certain powers to duly elected officials. He also commands us to honor our parents (Exodus 20:12; Deuteronomy 5:16). Nevertheless, Jesus says, “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple” (Luke 14:26, ESV). He does not literally mean that we should hate these people; he means that when they force us to choose between them and him, we will choose him if we truly are his disciples. We are not rejecting them; they are rejecting him in us.

I am very fortunate in that my closest family and I agree about Christian fundamentals. We have butted heads over various political issues however for the reasons that I stated above. I do not fear being rejected by them, but I have told them that if they force me to choose between them and obeying God, I will obey God, and I will protect my wife’s and son’s spiritual welfare as God leads me. This is not a point of pride for me. I have experienced much pain because of it, but–and this is where I think that I may encourage you–they are becoming more understanding of my stance. They may not agree with it, but they are accepting its reality with some equanimity. I am also becoming better at listening to them and meeting their spiritual needs as well.

I will gladly sacrifice my life for a good American cause. I will more gladly sacrifice my life for Heaven’s cause.

2 Likes

Nameet…

I hope you realize that I too am learning from you! Your curious and inquisitive spirit makes it clear to me that I don’t have to be afraid of having dialogue about the questions I have regarding a life in Christ. Sometimes I consider that I have such a long way to go in learning about God, but having the company of other Christians is evidence I’m not alone in my seeking. Please don’t be sorry for anything you offer or formulate an opinion on as it is our own personal perspective that gives rise to our questioning and thus the ensuing conversations that invite understanding. I don’t think culture becomes absolved or eliminated due to our walk with Christ, but it does help “color” who we are as diverse people living the life.

Nameet… I truly believe that you love and honor God through your culture by how you express your culture to Him and the world! It is not my intention to offend or categorize Indian people, but the ones I’ve worked with have been nice, patient, peaceful, knowledgeable, and kind people. These are characteristics that can be described by a “culture”, these are a few ways to love and honor God by what your culture contributes to accomplishing Gods work. As I’m sure you are aware, you must keep vigilance where “culture” isolates us from God.

I would offer that if you take a closer look, you will discover you can love and honor God through culture, but consider the less obvious cultural gifts that Indian people bring to the table of God. Yes, I’m admitting that I am “tadpole” in my knowledge of Indian culture, but also feel it is more a search of discovering the cultural contributions your culture is able to love and honor God with… He created them, knows they exist, and already appreciates them….

God Bless You and Keep You Always….

Claybourne

3 Likes

Hi Lakshmi!

Thank you so much for that warm and thoughtful response. You captured the values and concerns of my family that lie beneath the surface so well. I love the practical insight you’ve given too! I’ve noticed that calling them a lot more frequently just to let them know I’ve been thinking about them has done much for our relationship. It’s also very comforting to know that I can develop patience towards my family despite how quickly i’d love for them to accept my faith and eventually come to know Jesus for themselves.

I can tell that your response has come from a depth of God meeting you in prayer, contemplation, wisdom and probably mistakes. I’m incredibly grateful for your warm welcome to this community and your faithfulness to Jesus and our culture as you’re able to help a fellow brother in need.

Some time has passed from me going into ministry, marrying my wife and now we have a son that my parents absolutely can’t get enough of! But there are some moments where they’re triggered by unprocessed pain and disappointment and they begin to lash out. I’m grateful for how far we’ve come but I also want to be better at loving and serving them. In your experience, how have you been present/how would you encourage me being present with them as they’ve grieved their unmet dreams and supporting them in a Christ honoring way?

Take Care!

2 Likes

Hi Brendan!

Your response was incredibly refreshing to read. A lot of what you mentioned summarizes much of my frustration and disappointment with American culture and Christianity that places more of an emphasis on western values than on the Kingdom of God. And it’s also a great reminder that the west has its own issues and isn’t perfect (as I had wrongly thought growing up, haha)

This, I think, is such a chief goal of mine. As I earnestly seek God to do his work in and through me, my desire is that my values never prevent me from listening or meeting the spiritual needs of my family, whether they currently know Jesus or not. I’m incredibly encouraged and humbled by you saying that.

Thank you for your meaningful engagement!

2 Likes

Hi Claybourne!

Man, so much of what you said was wonderful to read. I’m grateful to know you’re learning as well and that our dialogue can be a place of safety for you to ask and raise questions. The dialogue with you you and others on this are helping me grow tremendously.

This was so very well put. and I couldn’t agree more. It allows for particular love that we can receive from God within our culture without making it exclusive.

And this part was fantastic. Personally i’ve found that when I rejected much of Indian culture as I got older I in turn ended up adopting American culture. The result left me no closer to God until I began to question (and still question) how I might honor God wherever I find myself and avoid blindspots and pitfalls.

Grateful for this dialogue with you Claybourne, you’ve given me much to pray and consider.

Thank you, friend.

2 Likes

Hi Nameet,

You are so full of gratitude! Thank you! Its wonderful to see your sincere desire to be proactive rather than reactive in figuring out how to balance your faith and interactions with your family. Yes, it has been a really long time since I came to a faith in Christ, over two decades, and I have made quite a few mistakes along the way. I pray that God will bring opportunities for the light in you to shine as you raise a family in Christ. Thank God for our little ones! Many a times, the kids have been a great means of connection with family and they might even do the work for us which we find difficult to do! I remember our kids would ask my father, a staunch Hindu to read their picture Bible for them at bed time, which he obliged to. We had many awkward moments as a family initially, with my parents getting used to Christian habits at our home such as bible studies and us figuring out how not to offend them for denying participation in hindu religious activities. I am sorry to hear that you are having to deal with unprocessed pain and difficult conversations. I hope I can help you with your question-

In your experience, how have you been present/how would you encourage me being present with them as they’ve grieved their unmet dreams and supporting them in a Christ honoring way?

I think initially I just started with assuring them, that all that had changed was my faith and that I would continue to be their daughter, with all my responsibilities toward them and relationships with extended family as long as it didn’t require any religious involvement. I tried to ease their anxieties by sharing where their dreams stood in the big picture, empathized when I could and apologized for not being able to go along with their wishes though I honored them. I tried to do well in whateverelse I chose to do and that helped with the shame they experienced. I think its not a bad idea to ask, if there is something that they would like to see happen, which you could fulfill even as a Christian. My parents enjoyed getting to know other Indian Christian friends who understood Indian culture which helped them feel at home. More than words and gifts, I think spending time with them is something they always appreciated.

In my case, I have seen a series of phases lasting years in how the relationship evolved with regards to faith with my parents. At first it was just about me standing firm in my faith while they tried to get me back into Hinduism, then it was them accepting where I was and adjusting to the new normal, then my own ups and downs about Christianity, then it was about learning what they believed and why, and finally, years later I have had the boldness to ask them to consider Christ. Still praying for their salvation!

Some lessons I have learnt are - a soft answer turns away wrath, dont expect them to understand us, share faith in response to their curiosity and in small bites, do not discard all their advice just because they hold a different worldview, be sensitive in prayer to know the Lord’s will in the different situations, recognize the role of the spiritual realm in the strife we experience, we need a victory for them not against them.

I hope that helped and I hope your wait for answered prayers is not as long as mine! May God provide you with all the help you need for the witness you seek to be.

3 Likes

Hiya Brotha Nameet!!!

I believe one of the greatest blessings I experience is when the God in me is able to extend or reach out to another and pass along God’s understanding. It is a sensation that cannot be defined or expressed in words. Nameet…it is my spirit that speaks and conveys what God has given me!

Nameet it is people like yourself on this site that encourage and help me grow in my walk because it is like having a “safe harbor” or refuge. My ability to express myself freely about how I feel about my walk with Christ is important as “worldly” opinions tend to be static interference when attempting to gain concept or understanding in this walk.

I once had a prayer partner who we could share anything about our lives, wives, Christ, as there was no topic off limits… you know why Nameet? Primarily because we were both believers, but our trust to know that no matter what the circumstance, we never shared with anyone else what was said between us. It was necessary for trust in our friendship to be built and framed. He took knowledge about me to his grave (although nothing is hidden from God)!

On the contrary, however, the information we knew about each other, was not wasted as we used what we knew about each other to help the other grow closer to God. The shared knowledge was used to support, formulate questions, have lengthy discussions and help the other attempt to better understand the possible causes of how we potentially could be isolating ourselves from God and what we could offer and consider to draw closer to God. It was totally to build the Christ in each other up. So often the world uses what they know about us to control or destroy rather than to build us up. The reason this characteristic in our friendship was so powerful is because it offered a “refuge” for us in which to grow in Christ, without the enemy being allowed to use our short comings against each other! If more people would consider how we build each other up in Christ, imagine what a world we would have? Nameet, it is important to have a place like this site where we can lift each other up. We all have unique and different gifts that no one else possesses, we can share with each other to support us in our journey. No one individual has all the answers, thus, sharing our understanding of God with each other helps us all grow.

Nameet… question… do you have any insight as to why you “rejected much of Indian culture” as you grew older? I find this transition interesting as you then adapted to American culture, but found yourself no closer to God? That is a story in itself in terms of what moved your spirit toward a life in Christ coming from a Hindu upbringing? I would offer that your spirit “knows something”…would you be willing to share the moment you considered following Christ? Was it a powerful moment in your life?…What encouraged you? It must have been challenging to consider a life in Christ coming from a Hindu background?

Nameet… I would consider that there are some many ways to honor God! I think a primary consideration is believing in His Son and following the Word! Another way is to discover those unique gifts that God has given to you and return them to Him by pursuing and purposing those gifts. I tend to believe that God has wired and designed us in a unique way in order to bring to fruition His plan for us. Ravi once said “…discover those qualities in yourself that you believe pleases God and pursue them…”. We honor and love God by returning to Him, albeit in a different form, the gifts and blessings he has bestowed upon us. And yes… often these gifts are cultural!!! Thus, if you play a musical instrument, honor God by playing it. If you have a gift to share with Gods people, share it, as you love and honor Him by doing so… the story of the servants with “talents” in the bible comes to mind…

Nameet… I take comfort in knowing that you will pray about our discussions and I will do the same. I consider that we both endeavor to share and consider only what is of God and not of ourselves. I pray that our spirits continue to guide us, but I am thankful to God for allowing me this opportunity of continuing to discover Him through you! I’m still so thankful for the day Ravi’s path crossed mine… so blessed as I’m starting to believe that I’m really pursing the journey and making preparations to return home…

Nameet…

God Bless You & Keep You Always…

Your Bruh… Claybourne

3 Likes

Lakshmi,

Thank you again for such a thoughtful and much needed answer. I’m grateful for what you’re sharing and am soaking it all in. It’s so refreshing yet at the same time doesn’t make me feel overwhelmed with responsibility.

Your practical tips are fantastic and i’ll surely be using them as I engage with my family. As i’ve reflected on your answer, I think one practical area i’m encouraged to try is welcoming my parents opinion and wisdom on how to raise our son. I’ve already begun voicing greetings in our language so our son has an easier time picking up Hindi from my parents.

This is something i’m going to make sure remains in my mind when i’m with them. The need to be right or bombastically defend Jesus has marked so many of my interactions with them. This was utmost helpful.

I’ll be sure to return back to your answers for wisdom and encouragement when moments with my family are less than desirable.

Thank you again for all your help!

2 Likes

Hey Claybourne!

Man, it’s awesome talking to you and hearing more about your life. I couldn’t agree more about how the depth of friendship and companionship in Christ blows any other kind of friendship out of the water. The depth to which Christ is in us is the same depth we can have with other believers. I’m honored that you shared that story about your prayer partner with me.

I serve as the young adult director at my church and the extent to which I see broken and superficial friendships amongst those who attends grieves me deeply. I know deeper relationships are able to be formed and when I see them beginning to develop, the beauty of the gospel is portrayed in ways I can’t describe.

Those are great questions brother. A large reason for rejecting Indian culture was because I never felt like I was enough for it. I would constantly hear criticism for the way I dressed, for getting certain religious practices wrong, many of my friends being of other ethnicities. I felt like there was an overwhelming sense of pressure and my failure to live up to it was a predictable disappointment every time I interacted with most of my extended family.

After an inability to reconcile a particular experience of suffering, I decided to become agnostic and moreso apathetic to any kind of belief in God. A few years later, I considered following Christ after attending a youth service at the church I now work at. ( I was there because of a girl I liked :rofl:) And I would hear about God’s fatherly love, His nearness in hurt and suffering and it drew me in. I was horribly mistaken because I made the assumption that my works would grant me the kind of love I was hearing about. So, I exhausted myself in trying to attain God’s love through a change in moral behavior until I realized that I ended up hating the idea of ‘god’ I had in my head because that ‘god’ also made me feel like I couldn’t do enough for it. That’s when I felt a deep truth impressed within me that simply said “If you keep trying to work for my love, you’ll never understand it”. After that moment, the message of Christ’s finished work on my behalf flooded me and ever since i’ve been seeking more of truth to capture my heart.

Likewise brother. Not only has Ravi deepened my faith in the more obvious ways, his vision of this community has served to aid me so much more than I thought it would have. I’m grateful for people like you in this community.

Take care brother!

1 Like

Thank Nameet. I can totally relate with your response and I still have my struggles. Our tongues are the hardest to train just as the Bible says! I have found fasting and prayer to be helpful in controlling emotions and it could be something to consider before difficult conversations. God bless!

2 Likes

Hi Nameet, very interesting question, one I’ve never really thought about.

I grew up in the US but my heritage is Greek. There is so much that I’ve loved about being “Greek” even though I know I’m an American. I valued and cherished the music, history, art, and, of course, the food! :smiley:

Once I became a Christian later in life, I value my relationship with God the most with my family and heritage following after and in no particular order. I’ve never felt that loving my heritage and being faithful to Christ was a conflict. I never would put anything before Christ but being thankful to Him for the family and traditions of my ancestors seems to be rational.

I sincerely believe, Nameet, that you can very easily be a faithful Christ loving Christian and also a thankful, India loving Indian. Ravi did it, so can you.

God bless

2 Likes