How do we address our closes friends who are in search for truth, but set their sights in different worldviews that seeks to combine science, Buddhism and Christ's teaching all together -- namely Sadhguru?

Hmm.

I’ve seen this guy talk. He says a lot of things that seem like they are right on in terms of what is true. I recall him saying something along the lines of, “when someone is hungry, they have one philosophy and to someone who is full they have another.” That is something that seems like wisdom to many.

I can’t speak to everything that this man teaches, but to address the point he raises that I mentioned from him, I would point out that Christ said, “the son of man has no place to lie his head,” meaning Jesus lived in poverty and was likely hungry often as evidence of his disciples picking heads of grain on the sabbath.

If we use this as a framework, I would say to point out the philosophy of Jesus, how he lived, what he claimed, and that he was willing to die for the conviction of Himself being God. I’d illustrate that many of the prophets were martyrs and that this is because they had the conviction to be countercultural.

Sorry I can’t be more help.

1 Like

Thank you for your careful response Jesse. I definitely agree with you pertaining to the various topics he talks about. Supposedly as well, because his ideas, techniques and tools are well renound as considered credible and truthful, he has been invited to various elite platforms to speak. Nonetheless, what raises my skeptism is the merging of Jesus’s teachings being gorged into some of his principles. It is no different from what Eckhart Tolle or Deepak Chopra does

“There are scientific methods that give access to that dimension within you which is the very source of creation; the very body that you carry is created from within. Jesus didn’t have enough time in his life to propound science, so he spoke about faith because it is a quick way. When he said, “Only children will enter the kingdom of God,” he was not talking about little children, he was talking about one who is childlike, one who doesn’t have foregone conclusions about everything; unprejudiced.” https://isha.sadhguru.org/us/en/wisdom/article/jesus-christ-superstar

I came across this article while researching about him and learning more about what it is that he teaches. Generally, I am humbled by his service in promoting education and humanitarian work through the Isha Foundation he established. However, when I take a look into what he teaches and the way in which he reinterprets scriptures, devoid of the contextual background, I am deeply agitated by this.

It follows that Christ’s kingdom resides in us and that everything we need to know can be found within. Which is not the “most significant aspect of Jesus’s teachings.” And I feel even more remorseful when I see others who claim themselves to be Christians accommodating ‘methods, practices, techniques’ to be in alignment with Jesus’s teachings.

It is when we come to know the person of Christ, God incarnate, through the revelation of himself to us, that we may turn away from the lives we used to live in order to live a life transformed — following that we have witnessed the truth and ought to live it out as well.
This also reminds me of a quote by Chris Kang, a Buddhist convert: “After visiting many religious places and following almost all meditation formulas, I, at last realized, that it is not in a place or in a formula that one finds joy, happiness, and salvation but in the person of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.”

1 Like