How Do We Believe God in Times of Suffering?

How Do We Believe God in Times of Suffering?

Notes from the Video:

No question has been comprehended until it has been fully posed and its assumptions fully understood.

With the question of suffering, it must be evaluated, and God must remain in the paradigm.

What has brought evil and suffering into this world is our departure from God.

When belief in God becomes difficult, the tendency is to turn away from him. But, in heaven’s name to what?

-G. K. Chesterton

The grace of God that sustains you will be the testimony that will carry you to the end of the day.

God works on a timetable. He didn’t come for Lazarus when they wanted him to come for Lazarus.

When looking to be mentored and discipled, look to somebody who has suffered much and whose faith in God has remained unshaken.

Questions:

1. Have you ever felt tempted to turn away from God during a difficult time?

2. If so, how did you endure such a season?

3. Do you have mentors that you look up to that you can reach out to in times of trouble?

7 Likes

This was very meaningful, @Joshua_Hansen. Ravi’s answer touched so many points of suffering and how to look at it and deal with it. I felt peace and comfort listening to it. Our God is so good and faithful, and that goodness and faithfulness is proven to us in our suffering. What a lovely assuring hymn Ravi quoted. Knowing it was written by someone who suffered day in and day out makes it more astounding.

A related but sort of independent point I appreciated in the video is Ravi’s explanation of the thought process behind how/why we reason that there is good and evil. His demonstration with the hand tiers of the levels of the question helped it make sense. I’ve heard him talk about that before but this one clicked better. Thank you for sharing this video.

6 Likes

Hello Leah,

I just wanted to throw a couple more resources out that really helped me in understanding our lives in relation to God in the midst of suffering, or when dealing with a friend or family member who is suffering as well.

The first one is the book Where is God When it Hurts by Phillip Yancy. This book really explains a lot about suffering and pain in life and how we should deal with it, as well as how we should react to it in someone else’s life.

The second is the book The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis. I have found few writers who can articulate answers to these kinds of questions, but Lewis is always a go to for me.

My only other resource you have already received in Joshua_Hansons reply. Ravi explains a lot about this subject and his talks have helped me through a lot of difficult times.

I hope that these resources help you as much as they helped me. May God bless you. Thank you

4 Likes

Thanks Joshua for sharing the video. Ravi never fails to comfort me in his talks.

When pain doesn’t make sense, who can we turn to? Without Christ, we either become stoics or we kill ourselves!
In John 14:18, Jesus said he has not left us orphans but will come to us. This is so true in my walk with Him.

God has placed mentors to lead and guide me whenever I have lost my way. He speaks through the preaching of his word and prayer.

These two books have helped me tremendously.

1. Disappointment with God by Philip Yancey
  2. Walking with God through pain and suffering by Tim Keller

Blessings!

4 Likes

Thank you, Matthew. I remember this time when, during an especially difficult season of life, the Lord showed me who He is. I was driving, crying almost uncontrollably, my life in such a shambles and yet grasping for hope. An image popped into my head of this large mound of crystal with a tall central piece of crystal with straight edges jutting upward several feet to a pointed tip. The landscape around it was totally flat. Nothing. Nothing but flatness. But there was light. It wasn’t dark. It all happened so fast. It takes far longer to try to explain than it took to experience. Somehow through this mental picture I understood God was showing me that when everything else falls down, He is still standing. Nothing changes who He is. That was a great lesson for me and brought me much hope. All these years later I still remember that mental picture.

2 Likes

Dear Ms. Leah,

Your words reminded me of that which carries me… 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

" But he said to me, ’ My grace is sufficiant for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weakness, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why ,for Christ sake, I delight in weakness, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak: I am strong. ’

Thank you so much for reminding us these words as Ravi is quick to point out!

Blessings,
~Sanah~

2 Likes