How do we grapple with some characteristics of God in the Old Testament being spoken of as a separate entity?

Hiee sir! This is Jerrold from RCCA chennai! Just loved your trinity session. Wish we were loaded with more of it, say two or more sessions. I was wowed by your philosophical depths with contradiction and mystery. I just have one question regarding trinity. In proverbs, there are places where God’s wisdom, an attribute of Him becomes a character. So, likewise, I’m just confused with the God’s Spirit and The Spirit of God, that the Bible specifically mentions at different times with exclusive usage of terms. Is it just easily understandable if had Hebrew background? Like in Hebrew it just says Ruaakh (clearing the throat)… I’m just unable to get my head around this… Pls help.

1 Like

Hi Jerrold,
How have you been? Thank you for your question. I appreciate your desire to grapple with the Scriptures and better understand it. There are many helpful commentaries that can be a meaningful supplement for the lack of Hebrew or Greek. I find the NIV Application Commentary series a good place to start.

To respond to your question(s): God is both the source of all wisdom and wisdom personified, this - wisdom personified, is how Proverbs uses it many times. Paul does the same when he speaks of Jesus Christ as the ‘Wisdom of God’. In a similar way, the use of the word ‘Spirit’.

God is, by nature, a Spirit Being (we are physical-spiritual beings - matter + spirit). We also know the third person in the Trinity is ‘God the Spirit’. The context of the passage should help you better appreciate whether the text is referring to the third person of the Trinity or the Nature of God, or the work of God.

Trust this helps.
every blessing,
jose

1 Like