How do we handle radical Islam and minister to Muslims?

Hi @Andy_Bannister

How do you keep the conversation (Gospel presentation) going to a Muslim if they mentioned that “I am not like those other Muslims who kill others” or “other Muslims got it wrong, we obey what is in Quran” ?

Thank you

2 Likes

Hi @Andy_Bannister, Europe and Hijra
“The mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets and the faithful our soldiers…” ~Tayyip Erdogan
Tommy Robinson, Geert Wilders, Anjem Choudary…
‘The curse of a luke warm church is Islam’ ~Anonymous.

Dialogue(read Evangelism) would be the preferable avenue, but I do not see that as a viable option for Europe anymore.
Sweden has been rocked with many incidents, recently many cases of Dutch youths who were hunted down by Muslim ‘mobs/gangs’ - which is probably a prophecy.
Etc. etc. etc…
My questions are, what do you think is the way forward? Is there a way forward?
Do you think the current situation desirable?

Islam = subjugation until their is no more resistance, and therefore submission, and therefore peace.
Hence, the religion of peace.

Is it possible to coexist with Muslims; or is Islam a trojan horse, and once within the walls, waiting for all to go to sleep?
-nominal Muslims provide a shroud for extremist and are therefore part and parcel of the issue.

My take: I’ve met a few, but generally very nice Muslims. However, I’ve also seen and been to Muslim majority areas, and there, societal coercion is supreme.
That is inevitable. The result: fight or flight. What is the solution?

Appreciate your time!
Shalom!

1 Like

I think there are two quite different issues you raise here: radical Islam (and how we deal with it) and witnessing/evangelising to Muslims. If we get those two issues conflated and confused we’re going to have problems. Some brief thoughts:

1. Unless one is involved in politics or the military, there’s not much we can do about radical Islam other than pray.

2. Political Islam is toxic, but let’s be honest, so is aggressive secularism, capitalism, or communism. Most “isms” are dangerous: we see the danger in Islamism because it’s so different, but let’s not miss the isms under our own noses.

3. The best solution to radical Islam is radical Christianity. That’s not just a soundbite, it’s the reality — there have been many examples of very radical Muslims changing dramatically when they encounter Christ. (And don’t forget our New Testament examples of the gospel changing extremists — Saul was a terrorist, and look what happened :slight_smile:)

4. Let’s be careful we don’t confuse the gospel and politics. Our job is to preach Christ crucified, not to preach “the West, right or wrong”. Not least because civilisations rise and fall — the West will be no different. There’s no reason we should last any longer than any other former civilisation. So we just need to be careful not to equate “Christianity” with “Western civilisation”.

5. The vast majority of Muslims are lovely — passionate about their faith (which can scare us), but friendly and easy to talk about faith with. And God is at work in tremendous ways among Muslims, with arguably more Muslims coming to faith right now than at any time in the past. So for most of us, the task is to step out of our comfort zones and reach out to the Muslims in our midst: whether they’re moderate or extremist.

A helpful book in all this is Reaching Muslims: A One Stop Guide for Christians by my friend Nick Chatrath. Whilst Nabeel Qureshi’s book Answering Jihad is also a very helpful read.

Do also check out the many articles and videos on the Solas website: https://www.solas-cpc.org.

Hope some of those thoughts help!

Every blessing

Andy

3 Likes