How do you cultivate quiet trust in your life?

In the Scriptures we see a repeated emphasis on quiet trust in the Lord and on quieting / calming our souls, but that is difficult in the midst of our chaotic lives. How do you cultivate quiet trust in your own life? How do you calm your soul in the midst of the daily bustle of life?

Isaiah 30:15, NIV - This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: “In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength…”

Isaiah 30:15, ESV - For thus said the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel, “In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength.”

Psalms 131:2 - But I have calmed and quieted myself, I am like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child I am content.

7 Likes

Scripture memory and Singing hymns.

2 Likes

@RichChatfield I concur - those are indeed two terrific ways to go about it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@SeanO Thanks for reminding us of this great verse from Isaiah. I’ve always read it as “in quietness and CONFIDENCE shall be your strength”.

Here’s a couple of things I believe increase our quiet trust.

1. When we fill the jars of our life with water, the Lord turns them into wine at the proper time (John 2). So spending time reading the Bible and filling up our minds and hearts with the water of the Word is vital to a life of quiet confidence.
  2. Being intentional about learning from the experiences we have. God does not bring us into any experience without having a lesson for us.
  3. Keeping an open line of communication with the Lord and saying “Lord, I’m willing to be made willing” has been very helpful in my life.
  4. Knowing our Isaacs. I think it was Oswald Chambers who said that we need to surrender our Isaac. The sooner we do that the happier we are.
  5. Having fellowship with others who love Christ (Hebrews 10:25). Sadly, this one is not always available, but still our God is faithful in the desert to bring water out of the Rock.
  6. When it comes to money, we need to learn to give to the Lord first and to give cheerfully. The love of money keeps us in bondage and from the quiet rest He would give us.

I’m sure there are many other things to add. The best thing I’ve ever read though about rest and quiet confidence is a letter that Hudson Taylor wrote to his sister on October 17, 1869. It’s in the book, “The Spiritual Secret of Hudson Taylor”. If you’re interested, I can copy and paste from my documents. It’s long but amazing.

3 Likes

@ALandis Great thoughts :slight_smile: I really like the idea of laying down your Isaacs - had never thought of it in that way before.

What in particular stuck out to you about the letter? Perhaps share a small excerpt that really spoke to you.

1 Like

@SeanO It’s hard to do it justice, but H. Taylor quotes a sentence from a McCarthy, whom HT says “had been much exercised by the same sense of failure, but saw the light before I did.” He then quotes the phrase to his sister from memory: “But how to get faith strengthened? not by striving after faith, but by resting on the Faithful One.”

3 Likes

@SeanO. My life has taught me to live with a consciousness that keeps me at the end of myself. Learning to live in this space is challenging because I am human and so easily distracted by the things, people, and circumstances that send me to a place of defense and war.

It was the many occurrences in which I found myself helpless and powerless that required me to learn to trust GOD. That required me to answer the question, did GOD exist? Could I trust Him? Would I trust Him?

Every day I find that His basin of grace knows no end. Every occasion for tears, grief, and pain has revealed the faithfulness of GOD. No matter how my trust is challenged and I may be human, but I am loved by GOD.

I may have started with the simplicity of faith but I am no longer that child. The LORD has proven His love for me. My testimony is my own experience, and I trust Him more each hour, day, and year.

4 Likes

Hello Sean, your wording made me think of farming, and gardening which was Adam’s God given responsibility.

Genesis 2:15
Then the Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it.

We have to break up our fellow ground

Hosea 10:12 NKJV
Sow for yourselves righteousness; Reap in mercy; Break up your fallow ground, For it is time to seek the Lord , Till He comes and rains righteousness on you.

In those thoughts a walk in a garden full of Gods beauty, flowers of all types, birds, and butterflies. A garden also a place were new life begins.

I have a prayer garden available to me that i make good use of.

Remaining in a calm trusting frame of mind takes believing what He promises.

Matthew 11:25‭-‬30 NKJV
At that time Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight. All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him. Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Daily quiet time with my best friend, and Savior.

I met Christ and surrendered to Him under a huge old oak tree and occasionally returned there to reset and recall the day of my salvation.

Thank you for all your input on connect I have gained alot.
Mike

5 Likes

@mike, that is a wonderful list of verses; I especially love the one in Hosea, and just this morning I was meditating on Matthew 11:28.

I would’ve loved to have gotten saved under an oak tree; how special it is that you can revisit the place. My moment happened on my knees by the couch :smile:, and both the couch and house are gone.

4 Likes

@ALandis That is indeed timely wisdom for our generation. We are so used to striving after things and the illusion people present on social media profiles that allowing our broken selves to rest in the grace and strength of Jesus is very counter-intuitive.

2 Likes

@cer7 Thank you for sharing your journey! It is a beautiful reminder that the longer we walk with the Savior, the more confident we will become in His love for us through every toil and snare. It reminds me of the chorus from “What a Friend We Have in Jesus”:

Oh, what peace we often forfeit
Oh, what needless pain we bear
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer

4 Likes

@mgaplus4 A prayer garden - how wonderful! Nature is a beautiful reminder of God’s glory and grandeur as well as our own smallness in the world, which can both help us rest in Him rather than striving after the things of the world as if they can satisfy.

2 Likes

@SeanO I read and reread that letter so many times in the years I was very discouraged and searching for the “how to”. It just took me such a long time to truly grasp (and accept) His acceptance. Here’s a verse from a poem I wrote during that time.

Rest is the real key to enter God’s rest;
So godly ones said whose lives were blessed,
But if you’re like me, you’re bound to feel
There must be more, this can’t be real,
Rest is simple, a welcome deal.
But oh my good friend, I blush to brand
Resting as tougher than love’s demand,
But rest is just so, a tougher thing
To those who trust in all they bring
To Christ whose heart desires we cling.

Thanks again, Sean, for a great reminder. I’ve been encouraged by all the wonderful posts since I joined. But like you said, social media can be tricky. Have a blessed day!

4 Likes

@ALandis Very beautiful reflection on the struggle we all go through to remain in His rest :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Brother Sean,

Cultivating Rest Is Captivating Work

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth
Will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace

I may have learnt this in Sunday School, but it has taken most of the 66 years of my life for it to begin being appropriated and that mostly in the last 10 years. For that is how long ago, Our Loving Heavenly Father, took His blood bought adopted daughter, my wife, home to be with Him.

Rather, taken all this time for me to start receiving what the LORD so lovingly, always wants to give us, more of Himself. He is The Giver of all things. Even what we perceive as bad, He works for good. Perhaps, not more of Him, but more of myself given over to Him who is altogether lovely.

Is 30:15, one of my favourites. Half of 30 is 15, that helps me remember the reference. There is a chilling end at the end of that verse, ‘But they would not.’, and I always pray that I would not be a would notter of returning and resting in the LORD, of being quiet and confident in the LORD. There are quite a few “would not scriptures” in the KJV.

W.E Sangster writes of how the Saints of old overcame. They overcame by “Gazing on God”. He speaks of the potentials, even in old age, of being used by the LORD in wonderful ways. These things and many other similar sharings of Brothers and Sisters who have gone before and some who are still present in body, are great encouragements to me.

Yes, they are not the inspired writers of God’s written word, but they flesh out nonetheless, countless Biblical truths that for me, constantly engender a further ‘Trusting in the LORD’. When I read Scripture, I get quite uptight, because I feel it is so important to understand what I am reading. And most of the time I don’t think I do understand. When I read devotional and biographical works that other saints have written, the same sense of uptightness isn’t there. I trust, I am trusting the LORD for discernment, for wisdom, for understanding and for knowledge, and that He will lead me and guide me.

It is an enormous blessing to know my utter neediness. The need to know Him as my All in All. As I Return to Him, there is True Rest in Him, True Quietness in Him and True Confidence in Him. In Him with Whom we ‘all’ have to do. Hallelujah!

3 Likes

@philm Brother Phil, thank you for sharing! I agree that there is a connection between beholding the glory of the Lord and becoming more like Christ. Believe, behold, obey, become… The lives of other Christians can indeed help translate the truths of the Scriptures into a lived reality / example that we can follow and that can greatly encourage us :slight_smile:

2 Corinthians 3:18 - And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

1 Like

Dear Ms. Alandis,

I really enjoyed reading this list and I liked how you brought scripture into the intentions… being scripture valadates our thoughts and not the other way around.

Hopefully I will have many more opportunities to read your posts. You are very encouraging in our Lord.

~Blessings,
~Sanah~

1 Like

Dear Mr Mike,

You once told me about the Hulk as an anology. I totally got it. What I find interesting, is that you recieved salvation under a mighty Oak tree.

You remind me of that Oak tree. I remember, after coming to our Lord, going to a School field trip to Charleston and seeiing the worlds oldest Oak tree that survived many hurricanes. ( Angel Oak) I held one of her acorns in my hand. In that moment I realized: I was holding the entire glory of that tree and it’s life as God designed it to be… in my hand, in a tiny acorn.

You are like that acorn sir. You are a giant oak, quiet and resilant showing the grace of our Lord through a gentle kindess that comes from years of wear and tear. Yet you stand firm in Christ.

I pray that your life is seen for the becon of light our Lord has made you in your humility. You never call attention to yourself. In this way, our Lord sees you… ohh how He sees you sir.

You are like a mighty tree in the desert. It’s so perfect :this is where you surrendered.

Isaiah 41:19 ’ I will put in the wilderness the cedar, the acacia, the myrtle, and the olive. I will set in the desert the cypress, the plane and the pine together. ’

Blessings,
~Sanah~

Blessings, 
~Sanah~
3 Likes

Thank you, @sanahdalah15. I am also encouraged by you. A servant of the Lord once said, “think in Scripture,” and like you mentioned God’s word validates our thoughts and not the other way around. I look forward to reading your posts as well. The Lord bless you and keep you.

2 Likes