How do you defend the trustworthiness of the Bible?

I am in module #9 of the Bible elective which looks at this question. How do you defend the trustworthiness of the Bible Andy?
Thanks
Bill
P.S. I watched a GBU Proclama Utube video. Well done.

4 Likes

Hello Bill,

Sorry it has taken me some time to answer! Thanks for the encouragement about Proclama. We are seeing more and more people interested in receiving training on evangelism here in Spain, which I find quite encouraging.

I love the Bible Elective Module. I hope you are enjoying it! It is very complete about the question you ask, and, actually I wouldn’t know what to add to the material the team put together so thoughtfully.

In any case, here are a few things I find helpful:

The sheer amount of early manuscripts in several languages has no comparison to any other document in antiquity. According to Professor John W. Montgomery, “…to be skeptical of the resultant text of the New Testament books is to allow all of classical antiquity to slip into obscurity, for no documents of the ancient period are as well attested biographically as the New Testament.”

Or take Sir Frederic Kenyon, a leading scholar in Ancient Manuscripts who said: “The interval then between the dates of the original composition and the earliest extant evidence becomes so small as to be in fact negligible…Both the authenticity and the general integrity of the books of the New Testament may be regarded as finally established.”

When we look at the field of archaeology, the data is also impressive.Every procurator, governor or Roman official named in the NT has been confirmed through external sources. Every city, village or region mentioned in the NT has also been corroborated. We have historic evidence for at least 31 people mentioned in the NT.

Millar Burrows, Professor of Archaeology from Yale University says, “On the whole…archaeological work has unquestionably strengthened confidence in the reliability of the scriptural record. More than one archaeologist has found his respect for the Bible increased by the experience of excavation in Palestine. Archaeology has in many cases refuted the views of modern critics.”

Archaeologist Nelson Glueck, who discovered more than 1500 sites says, “It may be stated categorically that no archaeological discovery has ever controverted a biblical reference. Scores of archaeological discoveries have been made which confirm in clear outline or exact detail historical statements in the Bible.”

When you look at the statistics and probabilities for the amount of prophecies fulfilled, especially in the person of Jesus, the numbers are overwhelming.

But if I had to choose one main reason for trusting the Bible, apart from the many personal stories I have in my interaction with the Scriptures and hearing the voice of God, it would be the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

The historical evidence for the resurrection is solid and convincing. If, after examining the evidence, we conclude that Jesus is God, and he is the Truth, then the whole quest for the trustworthiness of the Bible moves to a different sphere, since Jesus told us to trust them. If we can trust Jesus wholeheartedly, and Jesus trusts the Scriptures, then I have good reasons to trust the Bible.

I’m sure, Bill, that you’re familiar with many of these arguments, especially about the resurrection. However, I have found that many times, in spite of all the evidence we can provide, people of other faiths still want to reject it on the basis that it contains miracles and, therefore, has to be false.

This, however, is a completely different topic. If someone has dogmatically excluded the idea of God and is totally committed to materialism, then no matter what we say, their decision is made. But it has nothing to do with the trustworthiness of the Bible. It has to do with their unquestioned devotion to their materialistic worldview. Once we open ourselves to the possibility that there is a God and that the world is more than matter, the fact that the Bible contains miracles should not be a problem.

4 Likes