How Do You Kill God?

I understand that Jesus’ death and resurrection are at the heart of the Salvation Story. Jesus’ blood paid the price for our sins, the price that we couldn’t afford to pay ourselves. He was the sacrificial lamb. My question is, what did it look like for God to die? What happened when He gave up the spirit? Perhaps comparing and/or contrasting the death of a human with the death of deity would be enlightening.
I’d love to hear your guys’ thoughts, but I’d be even more interested if you could point me in the direction of Scripture passages that speak into this question.
(Note: while I really do appreciate any time or attention given to this Topic, I don’t have the resources to spend much of my own time or resources on responding to your guys’ comments. I’m sorry if I seem to ignore you; I really am thankful for your input.)

4 Likes

God did not die. Jesus was fully God and fully human. His humanity died but his divinity remained untouched. This is why John begins by saying " in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God". Jesus existed with the father from the beginning meaning he is eternal. Something eternal can not die.

So his death looked very human as described in the 4 gospels. So much so the disciples were convinced he was going to stay dead and didn’t believe the women when they said Jesus resurrected.

5 Likes

@IanW Great question! I think @Luna is correct - God cannot die because He alone is immortal (1 Tim 6:16) and remains the same yesterday, today and forever. However, Jesus did lay down His human life. If we look at John 10, we see something very informative. Jesus said that He could lay His life down and that He could take it up again. That requires that Jesus exists even after His body has died.

I think a second line of thought to pursue is the difference between what is natural and what is spirit. Our natural body dies, but our new body will be a spiritual body that will be imperishable. Likewise, God is spirit. Yes, Jesus took on a natural body - but He could not be reduced to that natural body.

I’ve linked an article below that speaks to this issue as well. Does that make sense to you? Blessings :slight_smile:

John 10:17-18 - The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.

1 Cor 15:42-44 - The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.

It’s the God-man Who dies, but death is something that is experienced only by the human nature, because the divine nature isn’t capable of experiencing death.

6 Likes