How Do You Picture God?

A. W. Tozer once said, “What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.”

You know I think that we as Christians sometimes get the wrong picture of God in our minds. Especially early on in my life I know I saw God as someone who was constantly looking down on everyone and saying, “Ugh…really? You need forgiveness again? I’m counting these up and you are really not meeting the standard expected of a Christian.”

I think that it can be very easy at times to get the wrong idea of God. To see Him more as a tyrant, or an impatient Father than as the Savior and Creator of the world. We tend to reduce Him to our size and impose our kinds of attitudes and feelings on Him, and in this way we really lose out on getting to know who God really is.

Isaiah 40:25-26 says this, “To whom then will you compare me, that I should be like him? says the Holy One. Lift up your eyes on high and see: who created these? He who brings out their host by number, calling them all by name, by the greatness of his might and because he is strong in power, not one is missing.” God calls our eyes to His creation to show us how big He really is, and calls our hearts to seek how He truly wants us to see Him. Sometimes we make the mistake of thinking of Him in our own way rather than His. We want to use Him when we need Him, but then we want to be able to put Him away and save Him for later, keeping our lives just as they are. But that is not the kind of God we serve, and let me tell you brothers and sisters, that is something we all need to thank Him for every day. He is so much more than we could ever even imagine, and He wants to know each and every one of us on a personal level. He wants to come into our lives and make us new and redeemed in Him, and share a relationship with us for all eternity. Praise His holy name, the God we serve is greater than anything we can ever imagine, even the worst days of our lives.

Maybe you have one of those perspectives on Him that just makes you feel like you can’t ever measure up to what He wants. Or maybe you have been holding Him back from starting real change in your life, or maybe you just need to re-evaluate your view on Him today, let me encourage you to do that.

If you think He won’t forgive you then look at what the Bible tells us in 1 John 1:9, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” You have done nothing that He does not desire to forgive and help you remove from your life, so that He can help you to experience the kind of life that only He can give. Pray to Him today, seek Him, and tell Him what you need. He is faithful and just, and He will help you and guide you. Ask Him to reveal Himself to you as He desires to.

So, let me ask you, how do you picture God? Take some time today and think about Him and how you view Him. Write it down in a journal, or on a sticky note and just let it sink in for a bit. Then please, share your thoughts and answers here. I will include my thoughts below and hope that you all will too. God bless you all and may God grant you wisdom and touch each one of you in a special way. Thank you.

Matthew

How do I Picture God?
Words cannot truly express how I think about or picture God. He has changed my heart and my life in ways that I had never dreamed were possible, mostly because I was trying to change them myself on my terms, and not on His. But He has given sight to my eyes, and has opened my heart and my mind to see Him as He wants me to see Him. He is the lens through which I want to view everything in life. He is my Savior, my King, my Lord, and the hope of my life. Even though I am still a sinner, I know that He loves me, and cares for me, and is faithful and just to forgive me, and cleanse me from all unrighteousness. I see Him as my holy Father who takes care of me, strengthens me when I am weak, helps me up when I fall, and corrects me when I go wrong. He loves me to the point that He made the ultimate sacrifice for me, so that I could have a chance at living once again.

3 Likes

This is such a cool question!

Well, personally, I picture God as a smiling, laughing, Personality. Honestly, the Source of Joy gives me so much of that.

Studying His Word, Who He Is, what He’s like. . .His Laws and Affirmations… It just gives me a really bright picture of Him.

Summary: I picture God in many ways but I suppose predominantly as a smiling face.

4 Likes

Hi Matthew

You are definitely right that how we see God or picture God is a very important question. When interacting with other Christians in conversations and when praying with them, you often get the chance to come and understand the way people perceive God to be. The easy mistake to make is by making a god who suits our own image. It is why idolatry can take many different forms other than making and worshiping a material construct. It also means it is a continual prayer for myself that I desire God to keep revealing to me who He truly is.

I think pride is one of the biggest stumbling blocks to us knowing who God truly is, to actually knowing the depths of His grace and love. So I ask Christ to give me his humility so that I can see with greater clarity and come to know Him. I have come to realize that trying to generate my own humility only ends up making you proud, so instead I ask God to give me His. This is probably the first step God showed me to help me to come and know Him better, to not just know that the scriptures tell me that God loves me, but to actually intrinsically and intimately know God’s love for me. So if others are searching to have a clearer and more personal intimacy with God, to picture Him for who He truly is, I would just advise that asking God to remove those obstacles that maybe are keeping you deaf to His voice could be a good starting point.

God bless :blush:

3 Likes

A. W. Tozer once said, “What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.”

You know I think that we as Christians sometimes get the wrong picture of God in our minds. Especially early on in my life I know I saw God as someone who was constantly looking down on everyone and saying, “Ugh…really? You need forgiveness again? I’m counting these up and you are really not meeting the standard expected of a Christian.”
[/quote]

I felt the same, mainly because I transfered to Father God how I looked at my earthly Father, and others i used to address as Father.

Thanks be to Jesus I can see clearly now.

John 14:9 NKJV
Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

My God picture is simply JESUS!!!
All His attributes, qualities, in other words who Jesus shows me God has always been and will be forever. Thank you sir for sharing.
Mike

2 Likes