How do you start a traveling ministry/public forum ministry?

(Cody Davis) #1

Hello,

My name is Cody Davis. I am recently beginning my calling to become an evangelist pastor. I would love to start a traveling/public forum ministry like this. My questions are;

Where do you begin?
Where/what to study?
Are there any open opportunities to grow and learn through this ministry?

Thank you for help, your time, and for your ministry in the service of God. May he bless you and stay with you always!

(Jean Daniel Slabbert) #2

Hi Cody,

What an exciting time to start this journey! Daunting, but exciting.

Though my advice below might not be specific as to what to study and where to begin (I believe others might be more suited to provide this guidance), I do believe this piece of wisdom from my mother and scripture below could assist you as it did me every time I did not know where to start.

I live in South Africa. A beautiful and wonderful country, sadly struck by poverty and inequality. My mother was the COO for a community development organisation called Ndlovu Care Group. They do incredible work in uplifting disadvantaged and impoverished/rural communities to provide opportunities and a future to people in seemingly hopeless situations. A friend of mine, who was fascinated with what they did, asked to be taken on a tour where my mother showed her everything they had done. My friend was astonished at the transformation that had occurred in the community and asked, “How did they know where to start?” To which my mother replied, “At the first 10,000 bricks”.

I believe it is when we get started that we see where to go next - even if we just start small.

Psalm 119:105 says “Your Word is a lamp for my feet, a light for my path”

I wondered for a long time what this meant. I found that in the time when this was written, people often lived in caves and they could not carry a candle while carrying other heavier things in a dark cave. So what they did was to strap the candles to their sandals… Now what was notable about this candle strapped to the sandal was; it only provided enough light for the next 2 or 3 steps, they had to move slowly for the candle not to be blown out and they could only see where they ultimately have to go as they moved forward. As long as the stood still, they could only see those 3 steps, but as soon as they took those 2/3 steps, more steps became visible…

So I would say, start by taking small steps, asking questions (like you’re doing here), keep knocking on doors in faith and I know the Lord will open the right ones and keep the wrong ones closed. He’s incredibly faithful like that…

Blessings to you. I pray that your new ministry would bring glory to the Lord an give you a testimony that would stun even your wildest dreams.

Jean

(Jamie Hobbs) #3

@PastorCody, I’m going down this road with you. I felt the call to ministry years ago and got my Master’s Degree in Apologetics, but my ministry has always been part-time only. Which is fine, by the way. But recently I’ve felt the call to ministry fulltime. I too asked the question, “so where do I start?” @Jean gave some good advice. You start with the first step and rest assured that God has the rest of the steps in mind already. It’s a peace that passes all understanding.

In a recent sermon I gave, I mentioned the concept of a “leap of faith”. I don’t think that’s an accurate depiction of the Christian walk, no matter how popular a phrase it has become. It’s a step of faith. We can’t see over the hill, but God can. This is where our faith comes into play. God, I can’t see what’s coming, but I’m trusting that you can, so I’m stepping. After enough steps, you can look behind you and see the path that God brought you down. It’s in retrospect that it sure looks like a leap, though it’s made of many individual steps.

Perhaps others who are further along in a fulltime ministry can provide more insight, to us both. One thing I’ve learned the hard way is that you should never run ahead of God. It’s His timing, not ours.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.
– Jeremiah 29:11