How does the idea of subjective morality relate to the concept of grace?

This idea of subjective morality seems a lot like what could be the underpinning of a view of grace that could lead a person to act sinfully and be alright with it in their mind and conscience (justify it I suppose). Thank God there is grace, or I’d be doomed! I’m not minimizing grace; I’m just thinking how important it is to walking with God to have the objective point of reference of the Bible to show us right from wrong. To guide our steps. The Bible is dependable. Our personal sentiments are not.

3 Likes

Hi Leah,

Yes, I do think there are people who misuse the concept of “grace” as a permission to do what they want rather than the power to do what is right! Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in his book The Cost of discipleship highlights the difference between cheap grace and what he terms costly grace. Cheap grace is an abomination, it is the self defined attempt to grant ourselves unlimited freedom and in effect denies our Lord, mocks His way, and indulges self rather than surrendering it. Bonhoeffer drove people to the word, to the cross, to the cost of obedience and pointed out that though grace is provided to us for free, it did not come cheap. It cost Christ His life and He calls us to surrender ours and follow Him. As the Psalmist says “Thy word I have treasured in my heart that I might not sin against Thee” (Ps 119:11 NASB). We need an external reference point and an objective guide to counter our wild and demanding subjective impulses. May we have courage to continually seek and to obey.
Grace and peace, Stuart.

5 Likes