Support RZIM Connect

How does the New Testament believer relate to the New Covenant?

How does the New Testament believer relate to the New Covenant?

2 Likes

Hello @tsweaver, could you give a bit more detail in what you mean? Are you asking how people today relate to something established a long time ago?

Just want to get a more clear understanding of what you’re asking before answering :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great question.

I think a covenant is a promise made through the doing of a deed (I could be wrong on that but I think that’s legally correct)

Our relationship to a promise and/ or deed depends on our understanding of its relevance and our personal appreciation of it.

God’s new-covenant-promise came into effect when God became flesh and subjected himself to an awful punishment and death to pay the penalty of sin for bad, dirty dishonest immoral, law breaking, sinful people of the world who would turn to Him and his gracious offer.

Unfortunately, the personal relevance of this covenant would never really make sense to the egos of good, clean-cut honest, moral, and law-abiding people. Some of them, wishing to be godly church goers would do their best to try to see themselves as sinners. But those who would never be able to see their sin the way a true sinner sees it as sin would never be able to believe and receive forgiveness the way a true believer believes and receives forgiveness.

In a natural sense the experience of our understanding and belief and personal acceptance of what God did on our behalf gives the New Testament believer a profound attraction and appreciation for what God did to save us from the eternal consequences of sin. And this triggers (or should trigger) several other things:

Moving forward, our attraction and ongoing appreciation toward walking in this newness of life in the new covenant, stays our mindset on the things of the spirit and inclines our thoughts to be hungry for the word of God (not just our limited viewpoints, ideals and personal thinking).

Under the new covenant victorious Christian experience is enabled through the new logistics of how we are situated with God by what he did: Under grace and not under law we are patiently led by the Holy Spirit and not crippled by the sneaky advantages sin had over us when we were under the law. (Romans 7:11 and 7:21: I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.)

Since the new covenant is an eternal promise of eternal life it gives us an eternal hope; and this influences our cognitive and visceral values which would otherwise assume that this earthly life (in fleshly bodies) is the last chapter. But accounting for God’s promise and provisions, that physical death is not the end of the road for us, we recognize our short life in the flesh is next to nothing compared to our eternal reality with God promised in the comparably near future. And by this new benchmark of accounting we operate more out of a sense of spiritually minded patience among other fruits of the spirit and less out of a sense of fleshly minded frustration and things opposite the fruits of the spirit.

And there are many other things where being under grace, allows provisions for the practical handling of our lack of wisdom and the faults and failings which we inevitably bring to the table.

So… There’s a string of thoughts of how I see a new testament believer relates to the new Covenant.

1 Like