How Doubts Can Shape Our Belief

Andy focuses on the disciple Thomas, known throughout history for his “doubt,” and what his “fundamental disconnect” from the other 11 disciples can tell us about our own criteria for belief and trust.

And I just want to recognize anyone watching this who feels that the Christian faith has up until this point just seemed to pass them by and I don’t know why you doubt or, the things which tend to trouble you, whether it’s doubts about yourself or doubts about people in your life. Maybe you adopt skepticism as a matter of principle. Maybe there are things in your past, difficult upbringings, broken relationships that make it just really hard to trust in anything.

And as I close, I want to ask, “What is it that keeps you at arm’s length from Jesus today?”

Make it personal:

• Have you asked your skeptical friends what keeps them from Jesus?

• What is it that keeps you at arm’s length from Jesus today?

3 Likes

Excellent video; have really been enjoying this Take Five series.

I certainly appreciated how the speaker explored some elements of the passage that are easy to overlook - such as the fact that Jesus might have purposefully chose a time when Thomas was not there.

I think it is very easy for us as Christians, especially those who were raised in the faith, to miss important details, or even read some details (i.e. that there were three wise men who visited the young Jesus) into, familiar Biblical passages. I never really contemplated why Thomas was not there with the other disciples, nor, why Jesus chose to appear when Thomas was absence.

I am often guilty of reducing those individuals mentioned in the Bible to flat, simple characters rather than appreciating their full humanity and the impact such has on their recorded words and actions.Recognizing the full-depth of a Biblical figure’s humanity can help us address our own struggles, challenges, and questions. For example, I can certainly relate to “Thomas the Doubter”. I need to become more comfortable with not having all the answers right now and perhaps never obtaining them in this life.

2 Likes

@KLM, that’s a great principle! Thank you for pointing it out.

This is also where doing our homework can really help - understanding the culture, genre, etc. of the passage we are studying.

1 Like