How has Narnia Shaped Your Christian Walk?

(SeanO) #1

I recently reread some of Joe Rigney’s book ‘Live Like a Narnian’ and, as always, was more inspired to be a better Christian and person by the Narnia stories. So I wanted to ask you Connecters out there - how has Narnia shaped your Christian walk?

For me, I think the longing for ‘Narnia and the North’ that is the undercurrent of ‘The Horse and His Boy’ is a part of the Narnia chronicles that taught me something about desiring God’s country. Lewis awakened that deep longing for something beyond this world - for a place where the people are good and kind and the king is a man filled with humility and joy and self-sacrificial love. It is that thirst for righteousness.

Live Like a Narnian by Joe Rigney

Really enjoyed reading this book and later listening to the talk. Rigney discusses how we can grow as disciples through the Narnian stories. I don’t necessarily agree on the topic of submission, though I certainly do agree that male / female roles are indeed distinct and different.

(C Rhodes) #2

@SeanO. I am not sure I ever thought of the Narnia series as a molding influence in my life. But because I had been taught in the Word of GOD as a child, C.S. Lewis was a great affirmation of what I already knew to be true.

Stumbling across his writings of Narnia. I then found my way into the Great Divorce. The Great Divorce would slay and expand my thinking. Strangely enough, I found many of his books in the Sci-Fi section of a local comic book store. But I actually begin reading his books during study hall periods at school.

So overwhelmed and locked into those realities I would lay my head on the cool surface of the table, to cool my warm forehead twisting in emotion and to hide my tears. I felt like I understood the Psalmist who said, “When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.” 27:8 kjv.

The writings of C.S. Lewis were a faithful companion in my teen years. Moving me beyond the shallowness that often gripes and destroys the young during those momentous years. I could not surf the waves of such a wonderful philosophy, thinking and literary imagination and be comfortable being teenage stupid. So, I guess C.S. Lewis was a quiet, steady, and secret support for me. Just grew me up in leaps and bounds beyond my own tendency for personal silliness.

Even today his books grace the nooks and crannies of my home. Solid reminders of the unending exploration of loving and learning about GOD.

(Billie Corbett) #3

Wonderful video clip. Thank you!

It has been a long time since I read the Chronicles of Narnia.
I probably need to re-read them. :blush:
I was saved out of a non Christian background at the age of 17.
The Chronicles of Narnia were the first “Christian” books I read. (Other than the Bible)
I read them in succession…non stop!
I don’t recall an influence on me…but, I was in rough shape mentally / emotionally at that time.

I remember reading his Space Trilogy much later…and was blown away by the man’s imagination.

C.S. Lewis has bestowed much through his writing to augment my faith over many years.
I feel such fondness for the man, whom I have only met through what he has written.

(SeanO) #4

@cer7 Yes, I also encountered Lewis’ more philosophical writings when I was in high school. It’s amazing how truth communicated in such a winsome and clear way can give you strength and hope in the midst of the journey and help you stay on track with Jesus when everyone around you feels like it’s in chaos.

(SeanO) #5

@Billie It is so neat how even the Lewis is with Jesus now we can still know something of him through his writings. Whenever I pick up a book by Lewis, his personality bleeds through the pages right away - there’s no doubt he was the one who wrote it. He has a very distinctive voice as an author.

Praise the Lord for His work in your life - may He continue to grow and guide you :slight_smile:

(Stephen Wuest) #6

C.S. Lewis has a very unique character. He was an intellectual, who taught the classics. And for 1/2 his life, he rejected Christianity, and searched for arguments why the Christian message must be false.

The intellectual integrity of Lewis, and his long years struggling against the Christian message, give him a very unique perspective on arguments against Christianity.

When he writes about the land of Narnia, he is writing about the core topics of Christianity, and the Bible. And although these are children’s stories, Lewis is writing with the insight someone who rigorously struggled against the Christian message for decades.

I read Lewis to remember that God made the mind, and that there are historic Christians who have used the mind to think about God, in amazing ways. Lewis radically changed my life. And the tales of Narnia were the beginning.

(SeanO) #7

@Stephen_Wuest Yes, it is so true that Lewis had a very unique way of conveying ideas. I think his background as a skeptic for a time in his life is part of what gave him such deep insight into the pathology of unbelief and allowed him to communicate truth all the more convincingly for this generation.