How have you met non-believers and led them to meaningful conversations?

Hello Matthew,

I am new to RZIM Connect. I appreciate your advice about interactions on social media. I am passionate about the ideas of apologetics, but I find myself seldom interacting with actual non-believers in meaningful ways. This is in part due to life circumstances: new to our area, work at home, toddler in the house.

I have a general question that I have been asking myself and others for a while - what is an effective marketplace to engage others productively? In Athens, Paul had the agora. I don’t see myself gifted to stand in the public square and start speaking, and we really don’t have a public square anymore. Social media doesn’t seem to offer true depth or people interested in real conversation. How have you met non-believers and led them to meaningful conversations?

5 Likes

Hi Stephen, thanks for your question! If only more Christians were asking this.

If you want a more comprehensive answer to how to share your faith in a way that fits your personality and in the context that you’ve been placed, I’d recommend my dad Mark Mittelberg’s book, Becoming A Contagious Christian.

That being said, I think for most of us evangelism is going to happen on a one on one basis. But how do we get in spiritual conversations with people? I think a similar principle applies to what I said about social media. We need to be open and up front about our faith, without bashing people over the head with it. The majority of Christians lean toward never talking about it at all, so most of us need to be more bold. This could be as simple as asking someone what they did for the weekend. If they reply with the same question, you could mention how you went to church, and that you really enjoyed the pastor’s sermon on the story of Lazarus. That could spark a discussion right there. Or being willing to ask someone one question further than usual.

One example from my own life, I was at a bus stop recently and asked for directions from the girl that was standing there. We started talking, and I asked her what she did for a living. She said she was an artist, so I asked her what she likes to make art about. She said she usually does art on the theme of identity. So I asked one more question: “Where do you think we get our identity? Is it something that’s given to us, or is it something we have to make for ourselves?” And just like that, we were off to the races!

I find these conversations easiest to start when I’m spending time learning and growing myself, as well as asking God for opportunities to share my faith.

Is that helpful for you? Let me know what you think!

7 Likes