How, if at all, has becoming parents changed your understandings of God’s love for each of us as his sons and daughters?

Hi Jo and Vince! Thanks for answering our questions. Here’s mine:

How, if at all, has becoming parents (congratulations!) changed your understandings of God’s love for each of us as his sons and daughters?

3 Likes

It is our pleasure, Olivia!, especially when you ask about our favorite topic—Raphael :-). Wow; we could talk about your question all day, but let me start with one reflection.

When Raphael was eleven weeks old, Jo and I spent our first full day away from him. It was not an easy day, but when we came home and Raphael saw us, he gave us the biggest, brightest smile and started throwing all of his limbs around in jubilation. Our hearts overflowed with joy as our friend who had been watching Raphael that day turned to us and said, “Doesn’t it feel good to be recognized?”

That question settled deep within me. The temptation sometimes can be to imagine that God listens to our prayers out of obligation. He must be quite bored listening to me. Surely he has bigger and better things on his mind. But it became clear me when my friend asked that question that God is a parent, and, for a parent, just to be recognized for who you are feels so incredibly good.

When we pray, even before we form our first word, we recognize God for who he is; we smile at his presence. And what if that brings him the joy of a parent returning home to a smiling son or daughter?

That question has reinvigorated my passion for prayer!

7 Likes