HOW NOT TO GET DECIEVED? : Numerology to religious references

Hi,
Connect Fam,

I have a question, God warn us not to get deceived cause the days are evil so how can one can be careful if someone is unaware about religious practice done by hindus, as many of them have intention to just support their country’s leaders, coming from hindu backgrounds??

I want to use this illustration:
Our Prime Minister Narendra Modi urged to light candles and diyas for nine minutes at 9 pm Sunday on 5th April to “defeat the despair” brought by the coronavirus pandemic.
In his previous address on 19 March, the PM had asked people to clap, ring bells or clang utensils to applaud the healthcare personnel, who are treating Covid-19 patients.

Some claims that :
PM’s numerology” over number 9 was mentioned — the announcement was made at 9 am Friday morning, which lasted 9 minutes, and the lighting of candles will take place on 5 April (5+4 [the month of April]=9) at 9 pm for 9 minutes.

The message further said Modi’s address coincided with the 9th day of the lockdown, and on 5 April, there would be 9 days left for the 21-day lockdown to come to an end.

There were others who linked the move to Hindu festival Vamana Dwadas.

Dr K.K. Agarwal, former president of the Indian Medical Association, shared his theory to support PM Modi’s plan.He said the PM’s request for everyone to come together and light diyas is based on “Yoga Vasistha Chapter 6”, referring to the principle of collective consciousnes.

Almost whole Indians did this and most of my Christian friends supported our honourable P.M. Modi without knowing its hinduism religious intentions behind it. Some Christians claims it is all astrology and we should not do that. I personally didn’t do anything cause I don’t like any of such things apart from what God tells me to do. But, I was not aware the numerology solidarity behind this.

We know nothing of this matter, only God in His humble mercy can saves the whole world and we are praying.

My Concern is this how Christians who comes from hindu backgrounds and shows lot of respects to their leaders can avoid such things if they are just new believer (cause they neither know hinduism or Christianity well)??
They don’t know how to discern God’s voice and they do the things to support each other and bring harmony.

It feels like a trap at times how world is deceiving us and people are doing without the intention behind it.

Kindly share your inputs.
Thanks
Preeti Sharma Masih

5 Likes

Perhaps the key to avoiding falling for a lie is that we grow in the knowledge of He who is Truth.

3 Likes

Yes, @swtprtsharma0 - I believe @manbooks is right about that. We all come from a background that was immersed in the world. Ephesians 2:2-3 says, in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our lifestyle in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

For that reason, we all have a lot of “baggage” that we’ve brought with us out of our old life - a lot of learning and a lot unlearning that we need to do. Romans 12:2 calls it being unconformed to the world and being transformed by the renewing of our mind.

I’ve sometimes compared it to a jar full of sewage being placed beneath a pure mountain spring. As the spring water flows into the dirty jar, over time more and more sewage is cleared out as more and more clean water is poured in.

The Bible says we’re all like jars of clay (II Corinthians 4:7). We began in a world of sewage, but when we came to Christ, He placed us beneath a spring of living water, the Spirit (John 7:38-39) and the word (Ephesians 5:26). As we grow in the Spirit and the word, our minds are increasingly cleansed of all the world’s false thinking and replaced with God’s truth.

I hope this will help with your question.

4 Likes

@swtprtsharma0 I appreciate your concern. I have two thoughts to share with you regarding it.

First, Paul talks about this type of situation in Romans 14. It has to do with freedom of conscience. Paul frames it as weak versus strong faith. Eating meat sacrificed to idols was a big issue in his day. It was the equivalent to your concern about Hindu numerology. He teaches us that eating meat is not a problem for some, but is for others. The one who eats meat is not to judge the one who does not, and vice versa. If the one who eats meat persuades the one whose conscience tells him not to eat to eat, then both sin: the one because he caused his brother to stumble; the other because he disobeyed his conscience.

The same principle applies to your concerns about Hindu numerology. If you are persuaded that you should not participate in an act that seems to endorse this form of paganism, then by no means should you do it. On the other hand, according to Paul’s teaching you should let this matter be between God and your brothers and sisters who may choose to participate in this act, since there is no clear Biblical injunction against it. (This is not to say that no argument can be made against it from the Bible, but the same can be said about eating meat sacrificed to idols.)

Second–and please take this advisedly with the above in mind–I believe that if God is supreme, then he has the right to retake from Satan what is rightfully his. Numerology credits numbers with more power than they actually have. One way to look at the situation that you describe is that obeying PM Modi may actually honor God by proving that He is master over the numbers that Hinduism claims. But I write this only for you to consider. I reiterate that you should at all times obey not me, but what you feel you can defend before God with honor!

What are your thoughts about these things?

4 Likes

Thankyou for your quick response @manbooks. Growing in God and renewing the mind is a process and it takes time.

Regards

1 Like

Yes, @jlyons. Thankyou for your brief response. Yes, it helped and I am looking ahead to help others in that.

Regards

1 Like

@blbossard Sir, You got it so right.
Thankyou for understanding my concern behind it. I believe the same thing, God will helps those who are in the process of leaving the lifestyle of pagans (which sometimes they know or they don’t know). God in his patience love, doesn’t get upset/angry while we are still transforming from glory to glory. If they did it with the intention of just honouring God because God tells us to obey our authority to bring peace and harmony then surely it is between God and them and Holyspirit will convict them at right time. It is all about renewing the mind from orphans thinking to children of God which comes by reading the word of God which helps us to discern which is right and wrong by the Spirit of the Lord.

And, if they do it knowing everything then again let God do what He wants to do.

I guess, one way to not to get DECIEVED that always check and analyse even if you are a new believer or approach the council of God’s people and remain teachable to avoid such traps of enemy.

Thankyou for discussion.
It helped!!

God bless you :slight_smile:
Regards.

3 Likes

@swtprtsharma0 Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that the Spirit helped you through me. Please keep us posted!

3 Likes