How should we view marriage?

Jesus when asked about marriage after death He states “The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage, but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage;" Luke 20:34-35. So how does this shape our view of marriage during this time? How does this shape the way I view my spouse?

4 Likes

I think that it important to understand that this was a question from the Sadducees about the resurrection, something they themselves did not believe in. Further more this question was veiled as a who’s wife would she be in the Biblical sense, in other words who’s bed would she be obliged to be in. Jesus answered their question from the position of one who would be in that number ( a believer). I think this verse adds some context to his answer:

36 for they are not even able to die any longer, because they are like the angels and are sons of God, because they* are sons of the resurrection.(Luke 20:36)

Jesus points out that there will be not death in heaven and consequently no need for procreation as the angel did not procreate. Now we can speculate about this situation (7 husbands and 1 wife in this world) and how this plays out in the next but Jesus is clear there will not be a need to repopulate heaven.

As to how we should treat our wives in this world I generally defer to the happy wife happy life position.:grinning:
On a more Biblical note, we are to love our wives as Christ loved the world, he gave his life for it. Marriage as a theme runs through the Bible and is the crescendo of our life as Christ takes us who have nothing to give and we become recipients of a love that we do not deserve.
In a strange way that describes my wife’s love for me.

8 Likes

I think our view of marriage is to be a mirror image of our relationship with Christ. In the marriage ministry called “Marriage Today” they explained how all relationships were created so that we could understand and know God better. When you look at it that way it really does work in that sense.

See God as a father, Jesus as a leader in our home like a husband, the holy spirit as a helper as the wife should be helping her husband. These things relationships are supposed to help us grow in our understanding of God.

You have a spouse and you are to love her and be a leader like christ was. How did Christ lead and love? By being a servant and self sacrifice.

1 Like

IMO, As almost every time Jesus speaks about heaven it should be applied to us now here on earth as well as what we get to look forward to, this is a good matter to consider.

As I see it, when we are married, our flesh no longer belongs to ourselves. Furthermore, as Paul says it, that a woman might win over her husband without speaking a word, this is to love your spouse in terms of both physical intimacy and emotional, mental, and spiritual needs. But to point out a matter that might seem obvious is that we ought to care about our spouses salvation above all. Now this might all look like saying this means there is no “now” to think of in terms of “no marriage”. But I think to say such is to neglect the first of the greatest commandment, which is to love the Lord your God with everything in you. And as Jesus points out, those who do not hate their family will not enter the kingdom. Not to do away with Jesus specific commandment (singular) to love each, but to point to the fact of the second part of that which Jesus says, “As I have loved you.” The kicker is that Jesus was saying that as God. So if it comes to a point where you have to choose between loving God and loving your spouse, you must choose loving God over loving your spouse. I know this sounds possibly like a hard pill to swallow, but this is how I see it and I apologise if my sensitivities to marriage are not seen.

*Note that I am not a scholar and so what I say may not have much depth in terms of theology and I might be piecemealing things together without knowing the proper exegesis of Jesus here.