How to address people who cause division?

(Kerron Joseph) #1

Good day friends,

I was wondering about how you guys would address the following situation. There is an individual who has been in fellowship with my church for some time and from my observation has made significant progress in their walk with God. However, recently they have been spreading rumors about certain members that have almost divided our church until the truth of certain matters came into the light by God’s grace, although the seeds of the rumors can still be seen in the actions of a few. There have been several attempts to council and restore this individual but they deny their actions in the face of evidence to the contrary.

Now, I’m all for forgiveness and have personally forgiven them, but to leave such an individual be in my opinion would not be a wise decision. How can such and individual be addressed while showing the love of God to all parties involved?

5 Likes
(Dean Schmucker) #2

For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
1 Corinthians 1:19‭-‬20‭, ‬30 KJV
https://bible.com/bible/1/1co.1.19-30.KJV

Satan is the source of the wisdom that separates us. This brother seems to be listening to the wrong voice. I might invite him out for coffee, and actively listen to him. Only if he is being heard will he listen to the right voice.

2 Likes
(Anitta Trotter) #3

Good question, tough one.

Pray for this person. I would ask God to diminish their influence with others while doing a mighty work in their lives. I’d ask God to show me how to approach – Dean suggests going for coffee.

While this person is in need of repentance, they can’t repent if they don’t consider what they are doing as being sin.

I have prayed in this way over an individual in my life and have seen God answer (after a few years, but still…) in a mighty way in which reconciliation was possible.

The older I get the more it seems we answer with our heads and not with our prayers. God waits to hear from each of us.

4 Likes
(Keldon Scott) #4

Chase after the glory of what God has made him to be, not neccesarily his sin. Pray for words, strategies, and opportune timing with anecdotal application, but be his friend if boundaries allow. The holy spirit will convict while we connect. God-bless your efforts.

4 Likes
(Elijah Adamu) #5

I Love what you said. This for me is the best approach to take.

1 Like