How to convince a child

(Danny Doyle ) #1

“I can’t see God so why should I believe in him”

This was the question of my 5year old niece to which I was caught off guard in how to respond to a little girl.

I started to share with her about the wind how we can’t see it but we can see it’s effects by the wind blowing the trees and even feel it on our body.

She then said “ I can feel the wind so I know that it’s real”

Then she ran off leaving me defeated (joke)

Is there a way we can share the truths about God in such a way that children can grasp?

I look forward to hearing your insights.

(SeanO) #2

@Dannyd Here are some answers that I thought were helpful. Particularly, here were some bits of advice they gave:

• start with the visible that the child understands and move to the analogy
  • explain that we do have evidence of the work of God’s Spirit in our lives - the fruit of the Spirit
  • try to explain that we are both spirit and body - but that God is spirit

Personally I think the Narnia series from C. S. Lewis helped me understand walking with God in a profound way as a kid. So reading that once they are a little older may help as well. May Christ fill the little one with His Spirit and give them understanding as you explain.

You may also find this Bible project video helpful.

Prepared to Answer Link

“Well, it’s true that we can’t see God, even though we know he’s here with us right now, but the fact is that you don’t really see me either.” That got his attention. He responded, “but I do see you dad, you’re right here.” I explained: “Well, you see my body, and I’m here inside my body, but what makes me really me is something you can’t see. After all, if you cut off my arm or my leg I wouldn’t stop being me would I? And that’s because the Bible teaches us that while God gave us bodies, he also gave us a spirit, and our spirit is that part of us that lives forever and makes us who we really are. But you can’t see a spirit, they’re invisible.”

The next time you need to explain the invisible start with what you can see, and then move to an analogy or illustration that demonstrates the ‘invisible’ idea you are trying to communicate.

(Danny Doyle ) #3

Great thank you SeanO this is very helpful.

(C Rhodes) #4

@Dannyd. You may well have all you need in Sean O’s response, but maybe my experience will help as well. For many years I ran a Family Childcare Home. One afternoon while driving one of my three years old around, as was my custom, I was talking about the presence of GOD in my life. To my shock and horror, he told me there was. no GOD.

If I remember correctly it opened the door to other theories and traditions. Is there a Santa? I answered I wish there was but I have never seen him. There is however a attitude of giving that is why we celebrate the birth of JESUS. I asked if he knew I loved him. His reply was yes. Yet, I pointed out you can’t pick up my love in your hand. I then told him, how GOD felt about him was larger than any love I would ever feel for him. Even when we decided there was no GOD, GOD loved us just as fiercely.

He is now eleven and I can testify of GOD’s faithfulness in his life. He still lives in a home many might consider immoral, but I am confident that the seed has been planted. I’m trusting GOD for the blossom of that seed.

(SeanO) #5

@Dannyd Glad it was helpful :slight_smile: