How to Grow in Intimacy with God

Lou Phillips is taking time to help us explore five spiritual disciplines Christians have been practicing for millennia and why we need them as much now as ever before. On day one, Lou draws on Scripture and his own experiences to place prayer at the heart of communion and relationship with God.

The first discipline, and I would argue, the most important discipline that we as Christians need to practice daily, is prayer. In the Christian worldview, above all else, the heart of prayer is communion, and relationship with God.

Let’s be honest, we make time for what we love, and what we find most important. So we can’t expect ourselves to be prayerful if we don’t make it a priority.

Christ teaches us to start our prayers with the words, “Our Father” and this is to be the foundation of our prayers: “Our Father.”

Because a God who is willing to bankrupt Heaven so that we can become children of God, can’t also be a God that doesn’t care to hear the prayers of those same children.

Make it personal:

• Do you know God as your loving Heavenly Father?

• When and how have you committed time to being with your Heavenly Father?

7 Likes

Love the phrase “God will give us what we would ask for if we knew everything he knows,” Amen.

4 Likes

Earlier this week we were discussing prayer and intimacy with God at Reading Room with John Njoroge. I was praying about whether I should be honest about the fact that I find prayer an intimacy killer much of the time. (Yes, I see the irony in that last sentence.) When I saw this topic, I thought, “That’s God’s answer. I need to be honest because other people might struggle like I do.”

So why would prayer kill my intimacy with God?

• I feel like prayer is a duty. I think of prayer time as an appointment to bring a list of people before God because He might not do good things for them if I don’t mention their names enough times.

• I think of prayer as something I fail at. Guilt kills intimacy.

• I’m plagued by unanswered prayer. I’ve prayed for things that I knew were in the will of God, and I didn’t see a change, so I doubt whether my prayers have an effect.

• I trust God. (Yeah, that’s a crazy reason not to pray.) I know He wants what’s best for me, and He knows what’s best for me, so what am I asking for?

• I freeze when I try to pray. Prayer times bring on the ultimate writer’s block—pages and pages of blank time that I’m supposed to fill as a monologue. This terrifies me so much I’m speechless, so I fold the pages into paper airplanes, send them to up to God totally blank, and read another chapter in the Bible.

Much typical advice for structuring a prayer time, like the word ACTS (Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication), doesn’t work well for me because my ritualistic personality turns that form of prayer into a job to accomplish.

The best suggestion I’ve gotten recently came from @Brian_Upsher. He asked me, “What has helped you grow in your relationship with God?”

My first thought was worship music. When I play praise songs on piano, my heart connects with God. So I thought, “Duh, Jennifer, why don’t you do that more?”

I also realized there is an aspect of prayer that comes naturally to me. Pointless prayer. If you follow me around when I’m shopping for clothes, you might think I’ve started swearing because I’ll say out loud, “God, that’s ugly.” I’m not swearing. I honestly believe the God of the universe cares what I think about the color of a dress. I talk to Him about what kind of chocolate I feel like eating at the moment. White or dark? He knows I’ll always choose dark, but I talk to Him anyway.

That’s intimacy, and it circles back to what Lou Phillips said about starting with an understanding of God as our Father. If calling something prayer makes me freeze, maybe I don’t have to call it that for now. But my Father likes it when I talk with Him, and I plan to talk with Him more.

5 Likes