How to I keep out evil thoughts?

(Thabani Bvungidzirre) #1

How do you keep out Evil thoughts and just turn a new leaf

(SeanO) #2

@Thabanie Thank you for that question. Below are some thoughts that I hope you will find useful. I think a few things to keep in mind are:

• until we are in Heaven we will always struggle against sin by the power of the Spirit of God (we are free from the penalty and power of sin, but not yet the presence)
  • it takes time to renew our mind of bad thought patterns - we need to consistently pour in what is good so that good comes out

The Lord Jesus fill you with His Spirit and grant you self-control and wisdom in this matter.

I recommend reading Romans 6-8.

Having Evil Thoughts Versus Dwelling On Them

There is an old preacher illustration about each thought we have being like an airplane and our mind like an airport. Now, when we have an evil thought, we can choose to force it to fly somewhere else or we can let it land in our mind.

If we let evil thoughts land in the airport of our mind, that is wrong. If we do our best to take every thought captive and force those evil thoughts to fly on by - then we are attempting to renew our mind.

We all have sinful thoughts because our sinful nature will not be gone until Heaven (we are set free from the power of sin and penalty of sin, but not yet the presence of sin) - but the question is - what do we do with them? Do we let them land or do we make them fly on by?

2 Corinthians 10:5 - We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Renewing the Mind

As Christians, we should seek to renew our mind and think only on those things that are good and true and beautiful. At first, this may be very hard if we have been living in sin. Our mind tends to replay what we have spent a lot of time watching or dwelling on. So this process can take months or years - but as we meditate on what is good we will find our mind does not so easily drift to what is evil.

Romans 12:2 - Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

(Thabani Bvungidzirre) #3

Thank you very much ,I’ve lived a life that I’m definitely not proud and will do my level best to meditate on the word

(SeanO) #4

@Thabanie The Lord give you strength and wisdom as you seek to honor Him with your thought life. In Christ we are no longer slaves to sin - new creations in Christ - redeemed sons and daughters of the King!

2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come.The old has gone, the new is here!

1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

(Trishka ) #5

Greetings Thabanie,
First I just want to say that I feel as if this is something that is weighing you down & I am sorry for that.
Thoughts are something that we have control over. Remember that GOD has given us free will so that we can make our own choices. When those evil, negative & unwanted thoughts come, start to pray!!! Declare GOD’s promises our yourself, over your mind & over your thoughts. Truth be told a few months ago I went through this & I listened to the “Dialed in” & “Mind your business” series at Rock Church, which was amazing.
So now when I find myself slipping into those thoughts, I begin to declare. And if I am in a place where I can’t pray out aloud, I pray in the spirit.
Declare GOD’s goodness, declare that you are a child of GOD, declare that GOD & GOD alone created you, declare that you are not a mistake, declare that Jesus died on the cross for you, declare that GOD the Father & Jesus said that a helper will descend to be with you, The Holy Spirit, declare that you are not alone, declare that Jesus is your Mighty advocate, declare that the devil is defeated, declare that your mind is in GOD’s hands & his alone!
I also always think about the fruits of the spirit, that self-control is one of them. We don’t need to be slaves to thoughts, Jesus won!
So Thabanie, I pray in Jesus precious name that you will be released from the captivity of evil thoughts. GOD I pray that you will reveal your goodness & your mercy to Thabanie. Lord where the devil knows us by our sin, we have victory knowing that you know us by our name!!! Thank you Jesus for dying on the cross for us, thank you Holy Spirit for your comfort & guidance. Thank you Lord for your protection & I ask that you cancel every demonic spirit that is trying to attack Thabanie’s mind. In Jesus precious name I ask this, Amen.

(Thabani Bvungidzirre) #6

Thank you very much for the help and the greatly needed prayer ,it has been something I had been struggling with but I am reminded that ,of the conqueror I am through Christ .thank you very much

(Jean Daniel Slabbert) #8

Dear @Thabanie

Thank you for this question. And thank you to everyone for the wise and insightful inputs.
T
From my experience of continually dealing with this issue too, I keep reminding myself of one comment that a friend of mine always says; “HOW DO YOU DRIVE OUT THE DARKNESS? BY TURNING ON THE LIGHT!”

Whenever I catch myself pondering evil thoughts, I rebuke them and purposefully focus on GOOD thoughts - turning on the light.

Hope this helps.

Blessings to you.

Jean

(Trishka ) #9

Great advise Jean, we have a choice!

(Trishka ) #10

Thabani, I just started listening on YouTube to Jeremy Foster “mind monsters” series. I’m busy at work and am listening to it, 15 minutes in and it’s wow!